1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Def resolutions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimbobaggins, Jun 25, 2005.

1. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a Benq PB 8210 which has a native resolution of 800x600.

However, it says on the instructions that it supports HD at 480i,720i and 1080i.

How can this be if it is only 800x600 native resolution? And if it does support 1080i, will this be inferior to a projector with a native resolution of 1280x720 or higher.

ta.

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The projectors native resolution is only 800x600, to display 720 it will miss out 120 lines and for 1080i it will miss 480 lines.

A 720p projector will look better displaying 1080 than your current model. To display 720p it won't have to ommit any lines and to display 1080 only 360 lines will be missing.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it's a 4:3 projector, effective 16:9 resolution (widescreen) is only 800x450.

Quite a bit away from 1280x720 or 1920x1080 :)

:smoke:

4. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hang on I just checked again and it says it supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Why the mix of p's and i's?

It also supports hi def through YPbPr connections which I also don't understand.

Are they being a little over enthusiastic when they say it is hi def compatible or will we only ever see the higher resolutions on Xbox and Playstation games?

It also says it supports 1080i with compression???

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The i's and p's stand for interlaced or progressive. Plenty of threads on here that will explain the difference. In particular check this thread(Projector FAQ at top of forum)

Yes, Hi-Def is supported via component connections (YPbPr in your case) so that is quite right. HD is also supported via DVI and HDMI if your PJ has them.

Any resolution above the native resolution of the pj (800x450 in WS mode in your case) will be scaled (compressed) to fit it to the panel resolution.

6. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it means it will be able to show hi-def material. They won't be any better than a normal film though, even if it was encoded to your highest resolution for the projector. Essentially your projector can only show X lines of display, and to show the hi-def stuff it will have to remove some lines to fit it all in. What they are basically saying is that if you input a hi-def signal it will not be corrupted; ie. unwatcheable, either because the picture cannot be decoded (compressed) or because half of the picture will not be seen because it goes off the edge. It will fit correctly (film will look fine) onto your screen size.... just not with all the lines showing (won't be all from the bottom, or top, but hardly noticeable ones here and there in the middle)...

Cheers

7. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So it will actually clip the picture lines rather than rescale the picture then?

Also standard tv already broadcasts in 625 lines - does that mean that an 800x450 is already losing some of the picture on an ordinary broadcast?

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Will be rescaled. How well or bad it does it will depend on the quality of the inbuilt scaler. And yes, even standard off air broadcasts will be scaled (More so if viewing in WS mode rather than 4:3 mode)

9. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Scaling down obviously has to lose some lines. Impossible not too. Doesn't matter which lines it takes out (might have clever way of selecting which lines would be best removed, I dunno), but it will have to take away some lines to make 450. Scaling up on the other hand (ie. going from a smaller res to a larger one) could use some clever processing to move from one line to another (calculate the best pixels to show to move from the line below to the line above for example), but scaling down will always lose lines.

Cheers