1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Def partner for my new 42PD7200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lalgulab786, May 20, 2005.

1. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :thumbsup:

Took delivery of my new Hitachi 42PD7200. Superb!

Can't wait to try out the Hi-Def, so, need to get hold of a DVD player with HDMI output. Any Suggestion.

Many thanks :) :) :)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVD is SD you dont get HD by using an HDMI cable its still 576i or 480i on the disc

3. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    you get one that upscales to 720p or 1080i, which will do until proper HD DVD arrives.

The samsung HD-945 or soon to be released HD-950 are worth a look as they have had good reviews and great prices.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WHY? the plasma will scale to native anyway so why pay for a DVD player to do what the plasma is already? and why waste your only HD input on DVD an SD format? HDMI output does not equal better PQ Quality display matched source does! there is no advantage in sending an ALIS plasma progressive feed stick to interlaced component (unless they have done a pioneer and knobbled the component input to make HDMI look better)

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Horny's spot on on this one, I've spent hours testing my Hitachi with an Arcam DV79 DVD player and sending a progressive signal to the Hitachi makes no difference at all. In fact, after watching numerous films, my wife and I came to the conclusion that non progressive gave a slightly better picture.

John

6. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    so your saying that an upscaled picture would not improve the pq.

I'm confused as I thought that the samsung hd dvd player improved the picture by upscaling it to hi-def. Not real hi-def I know but the next best thing.

Also it can go through component so it doesn't have to tie up the HDMI.

I only meant it as a short term measure until true hi-def arrives, and they are fairly cheap.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    only if the scaler in the DVD player (£200) is better than the scaler in the plasma (£2000) its just marketing BS (99%) all plasmas will sclae any icoming signal to native resolution in the case of the hitachi that 1024x1024 (all previous hitachis have been unable to accept 1024x1024 signal) so the plamsa scales it anyway. SO will the plasma look better fed 576i direct and let it monkey it around to fit the pixels? or scale 576i to 720p using a cheap DVD player and then get the panel to monkey around the 720p signal to fit it into native? so which do you think will work better? You would need to fully test it and all options in order to determine the difference but DVD is Standard definition MPEG2 scaling wont change that a dedicated video scaler can improve things by doing the job of teh plasmas scaler but better and feeding the screen at native (pio MXE look superb like this) but as it is unlikely the hitachi probably cant acept native res from external source the interl scaler (in this case Aliser) will still limit the end picture so if a £1000 of dedicated scaler cant do much what do you expect a Budget DVD player to do? a GOOD interlaced component player will 9 times out of ten knock 7 bells out of a similalry priced Scaling/HDMI DVD player but that doesnt sell more DVD players does it.......................

8. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is all lovely but I thought the PD7200 had two HD inputs?
    Also, even if he is using up an HD port it's not as though there's loads of other HD feeds to plug into it until at least next year!!!!

;)

9. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many mags recommend the Samsung 850, citing it's picture quality etc as being good. It also has a good selection of connections. It can be had for around £90 (the 950 is about £140 I think). I think I'll be getting something like this for the time being as a cheap stop gap until Blu Ray and/or HD DVD get under way. I just can't justify paying a fortune for a DVD player when it's likely to warrant replacing soon.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    £ for £ at this price level, analogue component wins hands down on almost any screen. I'd say the exception would be the XDE pioneer, it looks a bit pants with analogue compared to the HDMI.
    Not suggesting anyone spends a fortune on a DVD player at present, due to uncertainty on HD players, Pioneer, Onkyo, HK, Sony, Philips all have decent analogue players giving better analogue performance than equivalently priced digital ones. At this level, even the licensing fee for HDMI makes a difference to the overall price of the player!

11. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a link to a review of the Samsung 945 (the model which the 950 replaces I believe) and the 850 got a similarly positive write up in a magazine I read recently.
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5617

I believe that the main differences between the 850 and the 950 are that the 950 supports SACD and DVD-A audio formats.
    They both do upscaling via Faroudja (if that's important to you).
    They both have HDMI, SCART and component outputs.
    Again, you should check for prices but I'm sure I've seen the 850 for £89.99
    See if you can find a shop that'll let you demo one locally though. Your own eyes are the best judge!!
    :thumbsup:

12. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    HornyDragon - and anyone else - i've seen you say a few times over the these DVD players with HDMI outpout are a waste for various reasons, and it does make sense. But please - offer some advice on what DVD player, at around the same price as the Samsung ones or Panasonic S97 to get?
    Surely these players will, even if connected with component rather than HDMI, still offer much better quality than the 50 quid jobbies that RS sell?

13. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Dont get the samsung 850. I have the same display and even with hdmi my tosh 330e outperforms it pq wise (comp(i))

Azz