hi-def output from component analog?

the klang

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
I, like a lot of people, have splashed out a fair few quid on my home cinema setup only now to find out that because the £5700 that i spent on my pioneer 50" plasma 3 years a go or so can now be cast aside, laughed at and considered old hat purely because it has no HDMI.(high definition media insult)
and so to my question, is there a dvd player that can take a hd (720p) digital signal and convert it to analog for my component input or vga on my screen?

Not sure what you mean by a DVD player taking a 720p digital and converting to analog, a scaler would do that but if its' input was protected by HDCP it wouldn't be allowed to.

If you're asking about a DVD player that can scale SD material into HD resolution and output via analog then the Momitsu can according to the specs, never tried it on mine as I use DVI. I think maybe a few of the other low-end scaling machines can .. I know that my Pioneer 868 can't scale to analog.

Kiss DP-450/500 can with a hacked firmware but you need to make up a scart to component adaptor cable. Pretty simple to do.

I have a 450, I don't recall seeing anything that says it has a scaler in it. :confused:

It should be possible since the XBox passes 720p and 1080i through component. Some people have turned their XBoxes into hi def DVD players.
Theres absolutely no need to change to DVI-D or HDMI just to see hi def material. THEY just want us to so they can controll what we do through HDCP.

excactly my point they just want to have a say in what THEY think we can watch or a least where we can watch it. Anyway i have just found a dvd player that upscales standard dvd to 720p and even plays hd-dvds and all through a vga or component conection,no hdcp needed (according to the advert anyway).the name of the player is NEUNEO 208 (if anyone is interested).cheers for the reply anyway.

the klang said:
excactly my point they just want to have a say in what THEY think we can watch or a least where we can watch it. Anyway i have just found a dvd player that upscales standard dvd to 720p and even plays hd-dvds and all through a vga or component conection,no hdcp needed (according to the advert anyway).the name of the player is NEUNEO 208 (if anyone is interested).cheers for the reply anyway.

Are you sure that it's not a "108" rather than a "208" as I can't find anything on the latter?

Colin.

Don't forget that this is not true HD your getting with these upscaling players......................if it a'int there inthe beginning it won't be on the display!

That Neuno plays HVD, this isn't the same as HD-DVD .. I'm no expert on HD but I think that may be one of the obscure Chinese formats (another's called EVD). It can't be HD-DVD since the spec for that isn't complete yet.

KraGorn your right and i was wrong,the player plays HVD discs and not HD-DVDs.the advert on the website says it plays hd dvds that are running at 720p native res.i did not know there was more than one way of getting high def material.still at that price($198)i might get one just to see my plasma screen run at that res. the web site for the 108 and the 208 is called www.neodigits.com .cheers for putting me strait,im learning more each time i log on.

the klang

Your getting a touch mixed up I feel with all this new terminology and technology.

01. HDCP does not control when and how you watch video material - its intended to stop you making illegal copies of the material.

02. HDCP is alive and kicking in the Standard Definition market just as it will be in the Higher Definition market.

03. HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) is the format Hollywood have insisted the big hardware manufacturers adopt before they open the door to their Movie libraries for distribution in High Definition.

04. High Definition exists in many flavours and formats around the world - you can already purchase a JVC D-Theatres tape based system that plays back pre recorded D-Theatre movies in 720P or 1080i; this will work with your PDP-502MXE. See http://www.dvhsmovieguide.com/

05. Up-scaling - DVD players that can upscale Standard Definition PAL and NTSC to 720P are becoming pretty prevalent (and low cost). DVD players that can do this well are less common.

A better option is to consider a purpose built Video Processor that will convert all of your video sources to your Displays native pixel and refresh rate. See http://www.lumagen.com or http://www.dvdo.com

06. HD Broadcasts in Europe - this one is going to be a no go on your Display. SKY and others will broadcast 720P(50) and 1080i(50) via HDMI or DVI with HDCP.

07. Your options:

A. Add a Projector to your set-up. If its practical you could spend as little as 1K and get a decent HD (fully HDCP) compliant image; or spend around 3.5K and get something quite special.

B. Add a new display to your set-up - still pretty thin on the ground. Your three year old Display is not in the minority when it comes to not being compatible with what's just around the corner in terms of HD TV.

Pioneer XDE Plasma TV's are one of the very few devices that can now sport the 'Official' HD Ready for Europe logo.

So what is it your most worried about DVD playback, Higher Definition DVD playback (Blu-ray DVD or HD DVD) or HD Broadcasts in Europe?

Best regards

Joe

KraGorn said:
I have a 450, I don't recall seeing anything that says it has a scaler in it. :confused:

Yeah well it has so there. The Kiss DP-450 can scale any source upto 1600x1200 via vga and 1080i via component. Before there were problems with macrovision protected dvds but there is a hacked firmware that gets round that now.

Read more here;

http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3409

My projector only supports VGA upto about 1024x768 and thats working fine. Not tried component myself though as I've mislaid the component cable. Its here somewhere.

There are also some new LCD TV's like the Sony Qualia 46", and the Sharp 45" that have the propper HD Resolution of 1920X1080.
These displays and whatever comes after them, will have the propper specs for full HD viewing. They also use HDCP HDMI conections and they also feature Component. Still as many have said, HDCP will be necesary if you want to view Hi def material made by Hollywood.

There may be other options in the future from chinese makers or others, but those options will probably be a way arround HDCP which will mean illegal activities!

Just need some patience, and wait see what happens.

Personaly I will buy either Blu Ray or HD DVD once its looks like who the winner is going to be. Then and only then will I splash out for a new display.

JOE,first thanks for taking the time to fill me in on what is what with all thing s hi-def and stuff.i realy got in a flap when it dawned on me that to get the best pq from my screen i would need a HDMI or dvi-d port(which it dose not have).i have since then been going mad trying to find the best possible way to get a 720p signal to my screen.after all the time, money,effort and mistakes iv made setting up my home cinema,it all simply boils down to the fact that i totaly love films and want the best possible from the equipment that i can afford.a projector should be on its way later this year(money permiting)thanks again for all your comments.

AML,realy a to day ban for saying that? thats harsh..

Hello all

the klang - just think how the sales/marketing guys and girls at many Display manufacturers are feeling - they have the tricky job of convincing folk to buy a new TV Today that wont be compatible with SKY HD next year!!!

AML - I guess you'd have to say a 1920x1080P Display was 'Proper' for a 1920x1080P signal - that may be a while coming to these shores!

For many buyers in the UK/Europe I'd guess a 720P array will be much more cost effective than a 1080P array and a better 'fit' with what our broadcasters are planning for the foreseeable future.

That said I think the majority of the Plasma manufacturers will stick with (or move) to 768P for the next couple of years until they have 1080P production lines up and running; and of course here in the UK/Europe we need 720P and 1080i support at 50Hz not just 60Hz.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom