Hi-Def Onto Standard DVD's...

C

carlosbrunos

Hi All,

HD is driving me mad!!! My PC is setup with a number of different peices of software for editing and burning DVD's. Problem is that I carn't get hi-def content onto a standard DVD.

I have used Procoder 2 to output a 720p MPEG2 file, this file outputs as .m2t, but this file format isn't recongised by any of my other peices of software (I want to maintain the 720p for my HD projector.)

How did Sony do it with T2 Extreme Edition???

HELP.........

Cheers

Carl :cool:
[::TILL THE END::]

I was about to post something similar. I have high-def movie files taken from American TV. I want to burn these onto standard DVD. I'm guessing they won't burn on and will need something done to them??? Also, what will the quality of these be like on HDTV, when played through a normal TV compared to a real HD-DVD player with a real HD-DVD, And what about if I played these on a standard TV through a standard DVD player?

If i am not wrong T2 extreme edition was burnt as data not movie files to be played via a HTPC with much higher (3 times they claim) resolution using windows media player.

Michaelknell said:
I was about to post something similar. I have high-def movie files taken from American TV. I want to burn these onto standard DVD. I'm guessing they won't burn on and will need something done to them??? Also, what will the quality of these be like on HDTV, when played through a normal TV compared to a real HD-DVD player with a real HD-DVD, And what about if I played these on a standard TV through a standard DVD player?

...not sure what you're referring to here, I presume you have aired material in the form of a transport stream which is the raw data from the broadcast. This can easily be burnt as data to a dvdr and read by various play back software on a PC. If you have a read at the many threads here, you'll find alot more info.

Basically this is downloaded and I have it on my PC. It is a HD version of a show that someone has put on the net as a torrent. Now I want to put it on a standard DVD to play on standard DVD players through both HDTV's and non- HDTV'S . I just hope the quality is still as good as HD (or near). I also want to know if I can burn it to DVD like normal or if I have to do something to the media files first.

Hi All,

hmmmmmmm.... You carn't play back hi def content on std tvs unless there is some kind of res step down.

Hi-Def isn't some great way of making std tv res look better. Hi-Def is an increase in picture resolution (amount of horizontal x vertical pixels) which allows richer (more detailed) pictures.

Std tv is never going to get any benefit from you playing back hi-def content.

Cheers

Carl

Michaelknell said:
Basically this is downloaded and I have it on my PC. It is a HD version of a show that someone has put on the net as a torrent. Now I want to put it on a standard DVD to play on standard DVD players through both HDTV's and non- HDTV'S . I just hope the quality is still as good as HD (or near). I also want to know if I can burn it to DVD like normal or if I have to do something to the media files first.
A standard DVD player can only play standard definition DVD. There is NO way to take a High Def movie and play it on a standard DVD player and maintain the resolution. You could re-encode the movie down to standard definition, then play it on the DVD player, but that's pretty pointless.

Equally there's very little point in showing high definition content through a standard definition display. You may get a slightly better picture, but that would be purely down to less compression and not a result of the higher definition picture.

James.

the only way is to connect a pc or get a showcentre and stream it

carlosbrunos said:
Hi All,

HD is driving me mad!!! My PC is setup with a number of different peices of software for editing and burning DVD's. Problem is that I carn't get hi-def content onto a standard DVD.

I have used Procoder 2 to output a 720p MPEG2 file, this file outputs as .m2t, but this file format isn't recongised by any of my other peices of software (I want to maintain the 720p for my HD projector.)

How did Sony do it with T2 Extreme Edition???
Have you tried just changing the file extension to .mpg and trying it with the player?

I haven't done it myself yet, but I think most people re-encode from MPEG2 to WMV or XVID format. This maintains the quality (provided you use the right settings) but reduces the file size, usually enough to fit the film on a single DVD.

James.

You have two choices here :

1. If you want to keep the video in HD and burn it as data to a DVD-R/+R then you can use conventional disc burning software. This will allow you to use the disc in PCs with the correct replay software, and some HD players with DVD drives (like the Snazzio, Buffalo and IOData devices). This disc will NOT play in a regular DVD player.

2. Convert the high definition video .ts or .mpg file into a standard definition video file suitable for burning to a conventional video DVD, which will then play in standard def on conventional DVD players.

What you can't do currently is produce a disc that does 1 & 2 - unless you create a hybrid disc that carries both DVD video and data, and that would mean you had less space for either.

I've used Nero to convert HD MPEG stuff to SD DVD compliant files - though if they are US files it is best to stick to 60Hz SD rather than trying to change frame rate - unless you're dealing with film and can find a bit of software that will convert 60i/60p to 24p and then convert this to 25p and thus 50i. (With the pitch change) Nero even preserved the 5.1 audio - so I got surround sound on the DVD that resulted.

Of course this wasn't HD - and there was a bit of aliasing as the HD to SD conversion doesn't seem to use great filtering.

Well, I have a HDTV and the movie file is in HD. I want to use a standard DVD to play it on my HDTV. I dont mind if it does reduce the quality but I just want to know if it can be done. If it doesn't reduce the quality then great, that's an added bonus.

Michaelknell said:
Well, I have a HDTV and the movie file is in HD. I want to use a standard DVD to play it on my HDTV. I dont mind if it does reduce the quality but I just want to know if it can be done. If it doesn't reduce the quality then great, that's an added bonus.
Get nero vison express you can then drag in any video file it will reencode it to dvd std and burn it you can even create your own menus.
this will lose the HD quality. Why do you not just buy a cheap xbox console and use XBMC that can play HDTV divx files it can't play TS files because the CPU is nont powerfull enough.

Well I've pre-ordered a 360. Will I be able to play HD on there? Also, can you explain ho wit owrks to me please? I'm a bit of a dummy on this subject.

Michaelknell said:

Usually if you have downloaded a 1 hour show using bit torrent then chances are its around 330mb
if thats the case the bit rate has already been greatly reduced and its no better than normal tv.

If you got it from bittorrent it's highly unlikely it's an HD file, I'm guessing avi format and either 350 or 700MB..

exactly, ive never come across a true HD episode, it would need to be a huge file.

Michaelknell said:
Well I've pre-ordered a 360. Will I be able to play HD on there? Also, can you explain ho wit owrks to me please? I'm a bit of a dummy on this subject.
Current XBoxes can be hard- or soft- modded (i.e. hacked with hardware or software) to allow them to run non-Microsoft software. This allows you to install enthusiast developed programs like XBox Media Center (nothing to do with Windows Media Center)

This will play almost any type of standard def video file (Real Video, MPEG1/2, Divx, XVid, Windows Media etc.) and 720p Divx stuff (though not 720p or 1080i MPEG2 as the CPU isn't powerful enough)

The XBox 360 will support HD video playback from Windows Media Center PCs (as it offers Windows Media Center Extender functionality) - however this may mean it only replays MPEG2 HD off-air recordings and Windows Media HD stuff (as is the case in SD with the current Media Center hardware and software extenders)

Whether the 360 is hacked to run non-official software will not be clear until it launches...

True HD off-air recordings come in at around the 4.5Gb per hour level for 1080/60i MPEG2. Some may be bigger, some may be smaller, depends on the data rate used.

HD off-air recordings converted to XVid/Divx or WMV are likely to come in at around the 1.5Gb-2Gb per hour level.

Downscaled sub-standard def, or near-standard-def Divx/XVid stuff comes in at around the 350-500Mb an hour mark. These files are often tagged "HD" because they are often 16:9 and sourced from HD broadcasts - however they themselves are not HD.

beasty54 said:
exactly, ive never come across a true HD episode, it would need to be a huge file.

Can't have looked too hard then, there's loads of true HD stuff out there, weighs in between 3.5 and 5.8GB for a typical 45 minute show.

...don't use p2p but those that do, have you ever seen true HD material on there?

p2p seems to be the source for the small, low resolution stuff. Newsgroup binary downloads seem to be the source for the full-quality off-air .ts HD captures.

Stephen Neal said:
p2p seems to be the source for the small, low resolution stuff. Newsgroup binary downloads seem to be the source for the full-quality off-air .ts HD captures.

What are newsgrup binary downloads? I've never heard of this. It would be good to get some real HD stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom