Hi-Def Lord of the Rings Trilogy - 2005/06

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Quote from Peter Jackson at the Oscars on Sunday...

"I'm sure most of you have heard me blabbing off in the past few weeks but we've just finished the extended cut of the [Return of the King] DVD. I finished the edit before I came over here - these poor bastards at Weta have got another 350 effects shots to do! They're well on the way. Elijah's seen the extended cut. New Line have announced some box set that's supposed to be coming out which I didn't know anything about [Trilogy box set - 2004 release?]. When I've done King Kong I'd like to do a proper box set and we've got a whole bunch of material - not of the movie but we've got a whole lot of bloopers out there! When King Kong's out the way I'd like to do a really high definition version with the best possible picture quality."

Another Peter Jackson quote (regarding the DVD release of ROTK:

"There's a complicated story... you'll have to listen to this. It's just something that we are going to put on the DVD in November for the extended Return of the King. There's this really funny thing that involved these two guys [points at:] Elijah and Dom. We were in Berlin doing our junket before the premiere of the film. All of us were over there doing press every day where they sit you down in front of cameras and you do all this press, except Elijah couldn't be in Berlin - he was in New York. I think he was doing the 'Saturday Night Live' thing but what Elijah agreed to do very kindly was to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning in New York and sit in front of a camera so that the journalists in Berlin could interview him live since he couldn't be there. So Elijah's in a situation where he's in a room at 4 o'clock in the morning and he has no pictures to look at - there's just a camera pointing at him and he has an earphone on. He's live and he can hear the interviewer in Berlin asking questions. They feed several German interviewers and Elijah sits there blankly looking at the camera and answering the questions that are coming through his earpiece. After that had happened three or four times Dominic, who was in Berlin, thought this was an opportunity for a great practical joke! So Dominic comes into the room in Berlin, puts on a German accent and he pretends to be a German interviewer. Elijah has got no idea whatsoever because Dom put on a great accent 'Ah, hello zere Mr Wood I am pleased to meet you'. And then Dom proceeds to ask Elijah the most outrageously rude questions and Elijah's got no idea. He's sat there being filmed and there's this absolute moron asking questions on the other side and he was videoed too. We've got this thing and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life: seeing Elijah trying to hold it together when he's being bombarded with these horrible questions. It was so funny that we're going to stick it on the DVD."

AFAIK the box set mentioned in the first quote is that which New Line have said will appear in 2005, along with an extra DVD of 'cut' scenes, the report I read didn't indicate it'd be a Hi-Def release, my guess is that New Line will want to milk it for all its' worth so the first 'trilogy' pack will be SD with another one later on in HD.

I read somewhere there's supposed to be an announcement on 8 March about the RoTK DVD releases this year, supposedly confirming the wide-spread rumour of May 25 for the theatrical and also presumably also saying what 'toy' will be in the EE 'collectors edition'.

Yes you are correct about the announcement of the ROTK:EE DVDs on monday.

I think what is meant is that there will be a 'standard' trilogy box set in 2004/05 and then after King Kong he will produce a HD set...

Originally posted by Lex
and then after King Kong he will produce a HD set...
I may be able to afford a Sim2 D30 by then. :D

Hmm .. 2005/2006 .. 1280x720p will be obsolete by then, the bleeding edge will be 1920x1080i. :cool:

I would like the trilogy in a bare-bones format with no extras at all!
Just the films in DD EX and DTS ES would be just fine and dandy!

KraGorn,

Even better, I think you can look forward to 1080p, not 1080i. :smoke:

Steve

I would like the trilogy in a bare-bones format with no extras at all!

Fine, but do you want the extended version or the theatrical release?!

I could do without the extras myself (two full DVD's worth for each part of the trilogy in the EE -- where will it all end?!). Although I have to admit, the commentary by Jackson/Walsh/Boyens on FOTR/EE is very informative and entertaining, too...

Originally posted by Dutch
Even better, I think you can look forward to 1080p, not 1080i. :smoke:
If my piggy bank will let me. :D

I wouldn't worry about cost - if you can afford 1080 at all, it'll probably be 1080p

i.e. flat panels like LCD/DLP/LCOS/Plasma - either large on the wall, or small for projectors. all progressive by nature

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom