HI DEF HTPC requirements ?

RLT

Could you please recomend hardware needed for a dual format HIDEF PC
"please".
Particulaly interested in outputing HD sound so:-
On an HDMI equipped Graphics card what HDsound formats can currently output to an HDMI receiver ?
Are there any HDMI equipped sound cards ?
Has anyone any experience of Arcsoft HiDef digital theatre compared to PowerDVD ultra ?

Thanks RLT

Jay on F1

I've just put this lot together....

Vista Home Premium 32bit
SilverStone GRANDIA GD01B-MXR DTop (BLK) case
Intel E6750 Core2Duo 2.66GHz
Sythe Ninja-Mini heatsink
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
x2 500G SAMSUNG SATA2 HD501LJ
CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
LG GGW-H20L RETAIL (BLU R+HD combi drive)
GigaByte P35-DQ6 Motherboard (heat pipe passive cooled)
256M GigaByte NX86S256H 8600GTS (passive cooled)
Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT PCIE Dual TV Tuner

As a Dual format HTPC its a good spec and will easily handle HD material. I't very quiet too. I wanted a machine that is a bit beyond the normal HTPC spec and did alot of research before choosing everything. A bit of advice though - stay away from the 2400i dual tuner, I've had a play and cant get it to work in Vista (there are issues if you look online). However, every other component I can recommend.

I'm currently running with onboad sound from my motherboard, so cant help you with a sound card. Im outputting to a 2.1 until I can afford something a little more tasty

However my mobo's got a good variety of outputs for sound that could plug into a better system.

1 x 7.1 Audio I/O
1 x Line In
4 x Line Out
1 x Mic In
2 x SPDIF-Out

The system cost me around £800 all in because I didnt have to pay VAT :smashin:

Ordered everything from scan.co.uk (apart from memory - overclockers.co.uk) and took advantage of the free shipping offer for AVforums members.

copy any of my components into scan search bar to see if they will be suitable for your spec. At the very least something to get you started.

When you've chosen a final spec, post here and some of the more clued up guys and gals will steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom