1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Def DVD player

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ManGina, Apr 18, 2005.

1. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    The films that play on this are not HD-DVD or Blu-Ray they are a Chinese HD equivalent (I believe it may be called HVD). The upscaling (apart from 1080p, but who has a display that can handle that) can be done by the Panasonic S97 and the Samsung 945 DVD players for similiar prices with a more renowned brand name.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I can't comment on this player specifically, as I haven't seen it, but be aware that upscaled DVD is NOT high definition, despite what the blurb might say!
    In fact these type of players won't really do much more than your Toshiba DLP does for DVD already (ie deinterlace and scale). It's just a case of which does it better!
    It's also probably a bit pointless feeding the Tosh any form of upscaled 1080 signal anyway - it will simply downscale it back to 720p anyway - it has to!

What it will give you which you may not already have, is a digital connection from player to screen. This might bring benefits quite apart from anything else (or it may make little difference :) )
    The scaler and deinterlacer may be better than the Tosh's, or they may not - unfortunately only first hand experience of running the two will tell you that.
    It will also depend on what DVD player you are already using and how the MPEG decoder and possibly deinterlacer (if fitted) compare to this Neo player.