1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Def DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lawrenso, Dec 5, 2003.

1. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi,

I am looking to get a new DVD Player, however I would like it to be pretty future proof:smashin: if that is possible:confused: I would like to get something along the lines below

1. Hi Def compatibility (720 lines or above)

2. 2 Scarts, one with RGB Pass Through

3. Multi-Region/RCE compatible

4. V.Good picture and sound quality

5. Pal/NTSC Prog Scan and component output

6. Would be nice with DVD-A/SACD compatibility

I know the Pio 668i meets these requirements, however, had a demo of this on the 43HDDE (and also the 868i), and playing Lord of the Rings, where Frodo greets Gandalf, even though Gandalf looked fine, I found that Frodo' s facial colour looked to be a bit funny (like you would have with a low bit rate) - could this be down to it being set up incorrectly??? what are other peoples experience with the 668i???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Steve (Lawrenso)

2. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 668 doesn't do 720P. Only 480P and 576P.

3. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No current DVD players, even those that will scale up to 720p/1080i etc will be compatible with proper HD-DVD when it arrives. They are however compatible with HD displays.

Can you explain why you need it to have two scarts and a set of component outputs with PS? What are/will you be connecting it to? You didn't mention HDMI or DVI outputs which will make it more 'future proof'. Do you want 720p output via analogue or digital connections or both?

I would say one of the cheap DVI up-scaling Sigma designs based players is the best bet at the moment as you are talking about no more than £100! Even if this will be superseded in the near future, you will not have wasted a lot of cash! I intend to get the Yamakawa 365Divx within a week.

I paid £1200 for my SD900E (3 years ago) thinking it was fairly 'future proof' (Toshiba said it would be upgradeable via firmware and or hardware mods - lying barstards!) and although it is still good, I will soon be replacing it with a £100 DVD player for Home Cinema use!

I intend to make these two players last me until HD-DVD is here, there seems no point in upgrading till then, unless there is something for about £200 in-between that kicks the ass of both of my players?

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :D :rotfl:

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the sympathy Jasonjo! Ha Ha

BTW, How the hell do I do all those faces etc?? I can do :) or :( and I wonder if this works... :0

How do I add the others?

6. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Kane,

I will hopefully be getting a HD plasma next year (still working on my wife for our tenth anniversery:devil: ), 2 Scarts are for looping through either a DVD-Recorder or Sat box through to the telly (only one RGB), and HDMI/DVI is a yes if it will get me 2 to 3 years before upgrading.

I am currently owed £360 by my insurance after an accident, but they will only make the cheque out to a store so whatever I get - knock that off:smashin:

I also have a Sony 735 DVD player that I can get £200 back on from RS and thinking of exchanging it for a Panny E60 (for archiving and DV purposes) - I am also looking to get Sky+ as well

Cheers

Steve

7. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lawrenso,

Tenth anniversary is nowhere near long enough for an HD plasma mate. Reckon you will have to wait 'till at least your 25th. By then we will all be watching 3d holographic projections. (And still moaning about edge enhancement and dot crawl).