1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Def connections in future

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by estherjon, Nov 16, 2004.

1. estherjon

estherjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Have (almost) decided to upgrade to a Sony 26" LCD (KLV-26hg2) and a Pioneer DVD (575A). TV input and recording will come via Sky+. What's worrying me slightly is whether the single component video input on the Sony will be enough when Sky's hi-definition output begins in 2006. Is there such a huge advantage to component inputs over other connectors or should I just bite the bullet and not worry?

Any advice greatly appreciated as indeed are comments on my choices!

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I don't think you can get hi-def through anything other than a component lead, dvi or hdmi cable. Though I may be wrong. Still, I reckon you should be looking for a tv with 2 component inputs. Or 1 component/1 hdmi/dvi lead.

3. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Couln't you get an amp that does component switching like the Pioneer 814, which would seem an ideal partner to the 575 and would also allow you to play SACD/DVD-A?

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    An amp with comonent switching would be ideal.

My LCD has two component inputs, and was a key factor in my decision. On a 26" screen I find that DVD is marginally better via component than through RGB SCART, but that games consoles etc are a lot better.

The Sony 26" is a good LCD, but a little limited on the connections front. Bear in mind that for around the same money (£1,350) you could have something like the Toshiba 32WL48, which has HDMI and component inputs, as well as a bigger screen.

5. estherjon

estherjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies. Unfortunately Tosh is out due to size restrictions but after reading all the threads this morning on HDMI I'm even more hesitant about the Sony - I seem to be falling into the classic trap of being paralysed by the fear of tomorrow's technology. Perhaps I'll just bite the bullet!

Cheers,
    Jon

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It is easy to do.

My Tosh 26" is for the bedroom, and I have no plans to upgrade my Denon DHT500 to a system that has HDMI/DVI output so it was irrelevant for me. If it had been my main TV, I may have been a bit more sceptical as well.

If you are worried about digital connections, the new Tosh 27" has DVI, and I am sure that the next set of 26" screens will included DVI or HDMI capability.

If not, the single component input on the Sony should not be a problem.