HI-def component cable and Philips 9830

palace

I have attached the component cable to the tv with the reb, blue, green connectors which gets a excellent picture but I cant get no sound with this lead.Anyone know what inputs on the Philips 9830 I have to plug in to receive the sound with the attached red and white cable with the hi-def cable.

There must be a way of getting sound out with this cable.

roberte

Novice Member
cable has additional red and white cable for sound does it not?or if you have optical cable connection you can connect that way to your amp or tv

tony kop77

The cable does have an additional red white and blue connections for sound which go directly behind the other red white and blue connections you have connected to the tv.
I have the same tv but I connect my 360 to my amp via optical cable.

palace

crazzy kopite said:
The cable does have an additional red white and blue connections for sound which go directly behind the other red white and blue connections you have connected to the tv.
I have the same tv but I connect my 360 to my amp via optical cable.

the connectors right behind it are digital audio 1 , digital audio 2, and audio out.There is a red and white connection to the left of it as you look at the back of the tv but i have tried that and still get no sound.
The other leads that are on the hi-def cable are red, white and yellow.

ush flynn

Novice Member
theres posts about this in the LCD section ,but i couldnt get it workin through the tv, just used an amp instead

fatfingers73

palace said:
the connectors right behind it are digital audio 1 , digital audio 2, and audio out.There is a red and white connection to the left of it as you look at the back of the tv but i have tried that and still get no sound.
The other leads that are on the hi-def cable are red, white and yellow.

The red & white sockets you're trying are probably audio out. If you don't have a red & white audio in I think you'll need an adaptor so you can connect via the headphone socket. They're about £3 from maplins.

amped2go

Novice Member
FATFINGERS73 said:
The red & white sockets you're trying are probably audio out. If you don't have a red & white audio in I think you'll need an adaptor so you can connect via the headphone socket. They're about £3 from maplins.

I've got this TV also. The red and white are only for use with the DVI socket. You can hear the sound when you switch to the DVI channel, but the picture unfortunately comes through ext4 channel:mad:

I think most people use an optical to coax converter like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&criteria=toslink converter&doy=24m2
or use an optical to your surround sound system if you have one.

palace

amped2go said:
I've got this TV also. The red and white are only for use with the DVI socket. You can hear the sound when you switch to the DVI channel, but the picture unfortunately comes through ext4 channel:mad:

I think most people use an optical to coax converter like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&criteria=toslink converter&doy=24m2
or use an optical to your surround sound system if you have one.

If I buy the converter like you posted amped with it mean buying another digital co-axial cable that plugs into the digital audio input from the maplins box?

Why dont they just make all these tvs compatible with each other.I am surprised though Philips didnt put a digital optical input on this tv though.

amped2go

Novice Member
palace said:
If I buy the converter like you posted amped with it mean buying another digital co-axial cable that plugs into the digital audio input from the maplins box?

Why dont they just make all these tvs compatible with each other.I am surprised though Philips didnt put a digital optical input on this tv though.

Unfortunately yes you will have to buy an optical cable & a digital coax.

Design people don't always follow the obvious path.:rolleyes:

palace

Got my digital converter and leads on there way home at the moment.I take it i have to go into the sound set up on the Philips and set the digital audio to ext3 if the components are plugged into that input or should it work automatically?

lar77

Novice Member
I'm late as usual but I had the same problem as you so i went and got a 360 VGA cable (better PQ ..... i think) and connected it with the VGA / DVI adapter that comes with the TV, and connected the RCA plugs to the DVI rca sockets ........ philips don't make it easy, do they!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom