Hi-def compatiable LCD's - confused

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by mark88, Oct 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm slighlty confused regarding which sets are and are not HDTV compatiable.

I was under the assumption that any set that had 1280x768, and either component, DVI or HDMI inputs would be HDTV compatiable. But that seems not the case.

The Sharp GA3 & GA4 sets have resolutions of 1366 x 768, DVI & component inputs but yet *apparently* the DVI input is for PC use only, and will not carry HDTV.

So how are you supposed to know whether the DVI inputs on set carry HDTV or just PC signals? or have I got this totally wrong?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    This is totally incorrect. The GD1E, and its close relations GA3E and GA4E will definately take 720p (1280x720p at both 50Hz and 60Hz) through its DVI input. I physically did this with my HDMI equipped DVD player with a 32GD1E for both CP and non CP sources. It also took 1024x768 but would not accept 1080i (1920x1080i). Sharp are aware of the issue. If the DVI input is only meant to be for PC sources, why have Sharp gone through the licensing expense of making it HDCP compliant?

The accepted resolutions are listed in the manual.

-Ian

3. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Here's the chart in the GA4 manual. The only chart as far as I see.

Attached Files:

4. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Ian,

They don't mention it in their manual. They don't mention it in any of their marketing, and in several emails with their technical support they couldn't confirm to me that it (I was asking about the 32GA4E) was HDCP compliant. It's really weird. I'm very worried that if I buy one and it doesn't work, then I won't be able to complain because I'm trying to use a function that they haven't claimed it has.

If they've gone to the trouble of incorporating a DVD compatible DVI connection, why don't they market it?

Also, maybe the licensing expense is per company, not per product.

James

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    James

Have you seen the printed brochures? I've binned mine now, but somewhere on the forum I quoted from it. I can't find the post. But basically it does a=on about HDVT and future proofing and the like.

I found this link http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148863 to where Sharp answered some fairly technical questions. Whilst I didn't specifically ask about HDCP, which I had tested at that point, the following is Sharps answer regarding the 1080i problem. There is also comments on differences between PC-digital Mode and AV-digital mode - I tested against both.

This definately implies the use of this unit with DVD players.

When I tested, it was a GD1E, my PAL test disc was Lord of the Rings and NTSC test disc was a Star Trek movie. I subsequently discovered that LOTR was not CP, so HDCP would not have been a factor. However, Star Trek is CP, so if the display was not HDCP compliant this would not have worked.

As far as functionality, there is little difference between the GA4E and the GD1E. Specifically the GD1E adds the external media box with DTV and the availability of media reader and writers. Other than that, if you compare the two manuals, they are pretty much identical.

To be honest, I still stand by my recommendation: If you want to be 100% certain that a display will work with your setup, make sure that you test the combination before buying. In the end I bought a Loewe Xelos and I tested this with a DVI equipped DVD player and my my HDMI equipped DVD player. When I first connected things up at home, I could not get a picture using my HDMI player and I had a few sleepless nights before I found the problem - the order that I powered everything up which was DVD player first so there was an HDMI encryprion mismatch between the player and the screen. If I had of tested before hand, I would have slept better.

-Ian

6. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reassurance. No, I haven't ever seen their printed manual. I think I'll see if I can find a dealer where I can try a Denon 3910 / Sharp 32GA4E combination.

James

7. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a reply from sharp regarding the GA4 & GA3's....

"Yes the LC26GA3/4E are HDTV compatible via the DVI socket. HDTV should be availible in the UK sometime in 2006 via SKY. You can buy this set with
    confidence."