1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi def and Panny / Hs10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by celtic13, May 24, 2003.

1. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Was just about to buy ae300 a month ago - screen up, walls chased etc. but then had to work away unexpectedly. I have lurked from afar and am now back home with a new dilemma - damned projectors they'll be the death of me! A friend has just shot his first feature on hidef digi beta for theatrical release later this year - starring Lee Evans!

He viewed the rushes on a Hs10 and you felt as if you could actually reach out and touch them! resolution was amazing even in a compressed state.

Now to the dilemma...will the Panny handle hidef as well as the sony or is this just a red herring as we probably wont see the format for at least a few years?

I ahve this dough burning a hole in my pocket, plus the credit card company are doing an extra 5% until end of June! I have 7 days to decide. One other thing has anyone recieved their ae300 from go2 cam - great price? If so whats the service like?

Sorry for so many questions but it does take over your life.

Thanks again

paul

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Paul,

Haven't seen an AE300 in action (yet !!), but have seen hidef stuff on a HS10 via hcpc and DVI and it's really breathtaking. I think the higher resolution of the HS10 has got to be an influencing factor, but the AE300 has a panel size at half the res of hidef (540) and with the Smoothscreen technology it's supposed to be really good.

You've got to take account of other issues tho', throw ratio is different between the two PJs as is the noise level, and other factors.

Hidef is extremely addictive - I've got some clips on my hcpc and even on the AE100 it looks brill - the level of detail and colours etc. are amazing.

Good luck with your search,

Sean G.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't seen the AE300 yet, but take it from me, hidef on the HS10 is jaw-dropping :eek:

Can't see it as being anywhere near as good on an AE300 - only 540 horizontal resolution v HS10's 768.

Most of the stuff I have is 1080i, but even 720p stuff on the HS10 is gobsmacking.

If hidef is your thing, only consider a high res panel PJ. Other factors - noise/throw ratio/price all to be factored in also.

:smoke:

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE300 better be good at HD as that is what is designed for 960x540 is not a PC resolution, it's a HDTV resolution, a perfect fit for 1080i bobbed down to 540p.

According to the AVS forum the HS10 bobs 1080i down to 540p then upscales to 768, which means the HS10's resolution advantage is somewhat wasted on 1080i material (less so with 720p obviously).

I wish I could test the theory vs practice :)

-- Jon

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It that's their "theory" it's BS :eek:

I've seen 720p & 1080i & the 720p stuff is sweet - 1080i blows it away.

Then again I'm feeding the HS10 via DVI from a HCPC - maybe it reacts differently from a HD set-top box etc...

Trust me, all the resolution is quite clear with HD material ;)

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - might make sense from a HD box etc..., but feeding via DVI from a HCPC pretty much negates this arguement (IMO anyway).

Bleedin' Americans & Japs/Koreans etc... have all this HD hardware/broadcasts to "road-test" while we Europeans make do with "drip-feeding".

Kramer likes HD - wants more HD - someone give Kramer more HD!!! :smoke: