1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Bit AX5-i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RUWANDIGITAL, Oct 20, 2003.

1. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I wonder if there is an audioble difrence turning on this function on the AX5-i.
    I compared it many time to turn it on and off.
    I hear no difference at all.Altough i get the feelling that turning on on some music the bass and the dynamic is a little more finer than turning it off.
    But i hope that anyone can help me with that question.
    Wil it work in analog mode as well as digital mode wich you can set it with the Signal Select button.

Tanks

Ruwan

2. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone please??

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there ,
    I have the VSX-D2011 and the same hi-bit sampling thingy, and yes i agree i notice NO difference at all when i turn it off and on..is this just a marketing ploy or is it 'meant' to give a better sound...anyone..?!
    Fred

4. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Well i can't barly hear any diffrence.
    Well the thing is,that you might hear a diffrence but there is no diffrence at all.
    So i thought i hear that when switching on,the intruments sound a bit lessy harch than tunred on.
    But that is a gues.

5. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but in the end it wasn't made for no reason and it should make sound from films sound better, so best leave it on

6. RUWANDIGITAL

RUWANDIGITAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will believe that but when there is no audioble diffrence,then there is no better sound.
    Maybe when there is a lot of dynamic range.

7. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 2011 which, unsurprisingly, has the hi-bit thingy too. I've played with it quite a bit and can hear little or no difference. But when I leave it on I find that I quickly tire of listening to music. When I switch it off I immediately feel more relaxed. Not sure why this should be - maybe it adds a certain level of distortion to the largely inaudible higher frequencies?

8. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Hi-bit function is a bit of an oddball. The fact that it dips the volume to nil before it applies it (on or off) then back on again makes it difficult to make a comparison I feel. At first I thought it should have been called ‘Placebo-Bit’! I’ve listen to it with it on at around –20 to –25db (loud enough for my livingroom!) and did here some difference, but I do have Hi-Bit enabled on the dv757 too. I’ll try at the weekend to make some comparisons with the below and see what it’s like:

AX5i Hi-Bit off, DV757 Hi-Bit off
    AX5i Hi-Bit off, DV757 Hi-Bit on
    AX5i Hi-Bit on, DV757 Hi-Bit off
    AX5i Hi-Bit on, DV757 Hi-Bit on

The manual for the AX5i does say that Hi-Bit can’t be used with DVD-A or SACD source signals greater than 88.2kHz over a digital connection, including iLink. Since I only use coax digital and iLink connections and don’t have and DVD-A or SACD titles at the moment it’s not an issue for me, but it will be in the future I guess!

As you can probably tell I’m still experimenting at the moment!

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well i have the ax10i aned yes i can hear a difference but its not that much of an improvment. higher frequencies seem to produce better clarity. but with cheap speakers this fuction will be a waste of time.

the dog thinks its loads better as his hearing is geared for high frequency