Hi All

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DLowe, Mar 8, 2006.

1. DLowe

DLowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi im new an here and need a question answering:hiya:

Ive just brought my first av amp and speakers, they are;

Yamaha RX-V640RDS &
    Mission M73i's

Wired in 2.5mm 320 Strand high quality OFC. Cable 3mtrs to each

the amp is connected to my advent dhe 2000 media centre through coaxail cable from cambridge audio.

My question is, do the speakers and or amp need time to 'wear in'? as i get a very slight 'Crackling' at certain frequencies or is it just that the mp3's im playing are crap quality?

Please help cause i want to know if i need to take another trip back to richer sounds, (Had TDL Studio 10's first, after 1 day a tweeter packed up and the sound was crap:thumbsdow but they weren't running long enough to see if the 'crackling' was there on them)

2. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Is the crackling on all songs or just some of them ,it may just be a matter of the quality of the download.

3. DLowe

DLowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    it dosn't happen in all songs, but there is a similarity in the frequencys that cause the crackle

4. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Speakers and electronic equipment do take a period of time to (wear in ) but still should not crackle .Can you try a proper cd played via your Cambridge Audio direct to the Yamaha .If you do not get crackling then it is your poor quality mp3s.
    On my Limit dvd player poor quality mp3 recordings make a metalic whining noise .Yet with my previous Pioneer player this noise was inaudible though I was using the same amp,speakers and cables.

Regards Martin.:)

5. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It's 99% the MP3's...

Depends on their sampling rate, but less than 192kbps is usually pretty bad.

If a normal CD crackles, it's faulty wiring or kit.

Then again could just be the song.... some songs do it for some strange, vinyl imitating reason..!

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If they were imitating vinyl, they'd actually sound good..... :)

7. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Pah, If analogue was so good why is the world going through a digital revolution....:)

All these people that just refuse to let the old ways die... :p

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    2 channel audio systems have declined for many years now, and this i put down to people getting bored with their CD based systems because they're just not interesting or involving to listen to anymore.

Recently i tested out a turntable for a customer (just a humble Project Xpression) through a decent pre/power and some good standmount speakers, and it sounded amazing! No harshness at all, a believable deep soundstage, cymbals sounded like cymbals and electric guitars didn't sound like noise. I was listening to music, not mush.

And as for the Ipod 'revolution', that can kiss my a** seeing as it doesn't even sound as 'good' as CD. Yet another product lowering the audio standards we were once used to.

Many have forgotten what a vinyl system sounds like. I dare you to listen to one and not be impressed....

Anyway, this is a little off topic, so i'm all for starting up a new thread to discuss it if anyone's interested :)