1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi All, Problem with Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by funlovincrimnal, May 26, 2004.

1. funlovincrimnal

funlovincrimnal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I am inpressed with this site as many A/V problems are being solved here.

I own a simple Home theatre which includes:

Yamaha DSP-A592 amplifier
    JBL Tower Speakers for front
    Bose Freespace for surround
    A home made centre
    Sony Active Subwoofer 150Watts 8" woofer front firing (bought recently)

The problem is I can't seem to caliberate the subwoofer. Either I have made a wrong decision by purchasing a low end sony subwoofer or these subs are hard to merge. Sometimes it is just perfect with some titles, sometimes all you can hear is air coming out of front port, sometimes too boomy, sometimes it rattles and with music it makes no sense of it's presence. Please help me, I have tried all sorts of level and crossover settings (no phase control available).

Funlovincrimnal

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your amp is a Pro Logic amp so it won't have the bass management facilities of a more modern amplifier and it will not be passing any LFE signals to the subwoofer as that is a function of digital processing.

If your DVD player has internal decoders you can connect the six analogue outputs on the player to the six external inputs on the amp and you may get some rudimentary bass management on DVD in the player setup menus but it isn't ideal.

Whatever problems you are suffering should be consistent though whereas yours seem to vary. Boominess is normally either having the sub gain up too high or a positioning problem but it shouldn't come and go.

3. funlovincrimnal

funlovincrimnal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Mr. Ian for the prompy reply.

You are right it is a Dolby prologic amp and i have connected it via 6 channel discrete connection available in the amp and the DVD player is doing the decoding.

I was particularly not pleased with the sub efficiency otherwise the system is ok. Sometimes the sub is working so great. The other day i was watching Jurassic park-II and the sub was bang on the small amount i have spent on it. It is just the inconsisitency which is bothering me. Please help Ian, I need an expert advice