1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HI 8 tapes universal?????

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by matrixsc, May 28, 2004.

1. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all i'm looking to buy some tapes for my sony camera (hi 8) i'm wondering weather to buy them in florida when i get there as they seem alot cheaper. But the one thing worrying me is will they play ok on my cmaera. Meaning that the camera is a pal and would the tapes in usa be for ntsc signal. guess what i;m saying is are the tapes universal?

Thanks..

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Blank tapes - yes, they will work. The material on the tape itself is identical. Standards differences only arise in the recorded signal, which is governed by the camera itself.

But.......the quoted play time length will be inaccurate. (eg a 120 minute tape sold in the US won't actually run for 120 minutes). PAL camcorders feed the tape through the drive faster (I think) than NTSC camcorders. If I remember right, a 120 min (US) tape is about equivalent to 88 minutes for PAL use. Don't quote on that. It's a long time ago.......

Pre-recorded tapes are a whole other story. Just don't.

3. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks mate thats helped me out alot.

Thank you.