1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi 8 - stuck editing - please help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bean, Aug 16, 2003.

1. bean

bean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the first time I have posted but I am desperate for help - I hope this question hasn't been asked before.
    I have got a hi-8 camcorder and am not sure how to edit the film I make. I can play back on the TV without problems and thought I could use my VHS recorder to edit the film (in a crude way). However I can't get this to work. Is there a way to edit without using a computer? Is there a small edit machine that I can use? I'm beginning to wish I had spent more money to get a digital camcorder now! Any ideas?:hiya:

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You should be able to do some very crude editing with you VCR as you have said.

How have you set it up?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A VCR can be used for very simple editing, but the results will be very hit & miss :nono:
    Standalone editors can be bought, but will cost a lot of money. IMO your best bet will be to get a USB 2.0 card (if your PC does not already have USB 2.0) from around £15 and then get a USB 2.0 analogue capture device from the likes of Belkin etc. from around £60. These can be bought from PC World :)nono: ) or most PC hardware internet sellers.
    With the exception of quality you will then be able to do everything that you would have been able to do with a digital camcorder, ie add titals, transitions etc. and the editing will be far more accurate.
    If you do want to go the external box route then take a look at www.keene.co.uk who have a very basic solution from around £50 and then up to £200+ :eek: for more advanced units.

Mark.

4. bean

bean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - will give it a try when I have upgraded my computer -- it crashes at the slightest thing at the moment.