Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hi 8 player with S-Video output...options ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Merlin, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need to get a Hi 8 player with S-Video output and stereo output, to get my Hi-8 library of tapes onto dvd, what are my options on playback machines now ?

I read of a Sony CCDTRV408 in a thread but the suggested source has no more, they spoke as if this was no longer available, what is the choice now.... ?

Merlin

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the digital 8 route would give you firewire too! any future recordings would be to the same quality as miniDV duck.

3. russ hirst

russ hirst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same "problem" - lots of Hi8 tapes. I have used a Sony Digital camcorder with Firewire to capture and the quality seems better than going into MiniDV first via Analogue in. Very easy to capture, control and store backups.

Roy, if I may pick up on one of your comments please? I thought I had read elsewhere on the forum that Sony Digital recordings on "Hi8" type tapes (forgive my ignorance with correct term!) were not of the same quality as a MiniDV cam but you say here they are. Is that right? Good news for me if it is in terms of having an existing cheap Sony Digital cam using "Hi8" tapes!!

Cheers

4. Merlin

Merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy, thanks,
    I see that the only Sony that plays Hi8 and has video out that is up to S-Video standard is the DCR TRV 480, it has firewire out and stereo sound. So as my panny EH50 DVD/HDD has no firewire in (annoyingly as its only 2 months old), that will see me getting 90 minute footage onto PC as avi, so disk space will be an issue.
    ...or can I capture some footage straight onto the PC as the same format as the Panny EH50 is making on its HDD or will make in the dvd writing process later.

I had hoped to sort out and categorise the footage on the EH50 either splitting the recordings into titles or chapters, whatever is best for pulling off certain chapters to dvd.

I have a miniDV panny MX8 camcorder so I am not interested in the 480 once its done its player function, I wont be giving it away though :rotfl: Selling it second hand though, would the money lost be better than investing in the kit below I wonder ?

From what I can see, my other options are a Sony Hi8 VCR, the EV-C100, or a Sony GV-D200 Digital 8 Video Walkman, both having S-Video output.

Anything else ?
    Guess its ebay time for the latter methods !

Merlin

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    I would think that a D8 camcorder might be of a slightly lower quality than a DV cam and this could be the reason for the recordings not being as good as DV. D8 cams write the info onto tape in the same format as a DV cam, so all things being equal the recordings should be as good.

Mark.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    Merlin, be careful with getting a Sony D8 cam as not all of them will play analogue Hi8 recordings. If this feature is not specifically listed in the specs then I would assume that the cam wont play your old tapes.

As you already have a DV camcorder I would think that your best bet would be to get a Hi8 camcorder (perhaps even second hand) and use that. It is a long time since I have used analogue cams but even my old Video8 cam has an S-Video output and therefore I would assume that most, if not all Hi8 cams would have S-Video out. I would think that this would be a far cheaper route than a Hi8 or D8 VCR.

Mark.

7. Merlin

Merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DCR TRV 480 is the only one that plays Hi8 so Sony say, main problem is that its firewire so not able to capture to the Panny EH50. I wonder is that out of date already after two months, why firewire out if dvd/hddd combos have only s-video in !

I reckon as you say MarkE19, go for secondhand Hi8 camcorder, though if a cheap Hi8 vcr is available I shall go for that, perhaps it can rewind the tapes a darn site quicker than camcorders as just that task is mopping up time. I see these camcorders as fragile, they just cant take 30 tapes being rewound and played so it seems. DVD is my next camcorder, no abrasion, then need to transfer my DV tape footage off also !

Merlin

8. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Many questions & ambiguities:

Digital 8 cameras use the same recording system as miniDV (AVI), usually with parity of CCD quality with the DV range at any given price, although no white balance.

Metal particle Hi8 tapes are of a lesser quality than dv type metal evaporated, but the digital signal is so robust that this isn't an issue the way it would be with cheap analogue tapes vs expensive analogue tapes.

The 480 will playback hi8 (as will the 380 and a fair few others, do a reviews search on this site for the following cams TRV110,120,700,800 theres even one from the current range -the 455 i think) and a cheapie 2nd hand unit is the way to go then keep it as a second camera?

9. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NB, digital 8 cameras have the suffix DCRTRV not CCDTRV