1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi-8 dvd problem...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by aldinho, Oct 12, 2005.

1. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok,have no problems transferring my Jvc mini dv to pc via firewire, and then burning to dvd works a treat, i use MGI 5 to capture edit etc and then convert to mpeg2 then ulead movie factory 3 to make a template add a music track opening title and then burn to dvd... a friend wanted a hi-8 movie done the same way !! so done exactly the same connected via firewire as i would with my jvc minidv etc,,,,, and when they played it in their dvd player after about 25 mins it starts to stick like for a second or so then moves a bit then same !! ... very annoying and a dent in my ego !!!...
    am using windows xp pro
    2.4 ghz 512 ram... before converting i use end it all to kill all non essential programmes....my dvd burner on my pc is a 16x lg....?? any one got any ideas.. could it be the other persons dvd player ??...
    help please....

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The person you have created the DVD for may have an older player which is more fussy when playing recordable DVD's.

In most cases burning the DVD at a slower speed i.e. 2x will solve the problem.

You could also try burning +r or -r DVD's to see if a particular format of DVD is more compatible.

THere are also some good and not so good DVD's. In some cases it's a case of buy and try and may take a bit of testing to find a decent recordable DVD. However try burning at a slower speed. This should hopefully solve your problem.

3. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Laser,
    could i rip the mpeg2 file from the dvd and reburn ?? at a lower speed as you suggest...

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Yes, ripping the MPEG-2 file onto the PC and then burning to another DVD should work. I would suggest trying the origional DVD on your system first though just to check that it is playable. If you get the same problems as your friend then you may well need to start again from scratch as that would indicate that there is a problem with the files on the disc.
    I would aslo suggest trying the MPEG conversion within MovieFactory to see if that give better PQ as some encoders are better than others. Of course to do this you will need a fair bit of spare disc space as you will end up with another AVI file.

Mark.