1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hgs-18 owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thxultra, Jun 17, 2003.

1. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    can any of our hgs-18 owners out the tell me if the unit has a dedicated thx input like the one on my kef 45b.

have read its thx ultra 2 certified but doesnt say this on the web site and have just noticed my kef is dead,may have been the haunting dts at ref level.May be giving uncle eric a call very soon dont think his last hgs-18 will be around for long.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    excuse my ignorance on sub matters but what is a THX input? does this avoid addition 80 hz filtering?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mr Beekeeper,

You've been around this forum for a while now so surely you must have learned something in that time ;)

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I know of it bypasses the subwoofers crossover and is set at reference level.

[edit] Correction- I know the M&K subs have a THX switch, but not a THX input, but it does the above when flicked.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Moderators.

ACT NOW!

"excuse my ignorance on sub matters but what is a THX input? does this avoid addition 80 hz filtering?"

Clearly there has been a duplicate membership permitted on this forum.

Mr Beekeeper
    As our original The Beekeeper would no doubt tell you on the Kef at least the THX "feature" fixes the crossover at a static 80hz, he would also most likely add that as he recalls there was some sort of fixed gain output applied, but he may well of remembered incorrectly about that bit.
    He would however no doubt add that these "features" are not necessarily very helpful.

Steven.

6. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i may have been a little miss leading i ment to say a thx switch but one of the L R inputs is usually labeled thx and thats the one you use if you use the thx switch.

it by passes the cross over in the sub amp and uses the cross over in the processor which is set to 80hz.

dont know if all thx subs have this but would think they do,that was the reason behind my question.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A THX switch is not needed. The HGS-18 allows crossover to be performed by the sub itself or bypassed allowing your amp/processor to do the neccesary. In fact, you should be doing your crossover on your amp/processor anyway.
    A THX "crossover" is more valuable and usable on a processor like the MC12 for example. This allows a straight 80Hz crossover or a "THX 80Hz Crossover", with the later offering THX roll off characteristics.

A THX setting on the sub offers no value. On the tale end of the chain, 80Hz is 80Hz.

The HGS-18 is one of only a handful of subs that have passed THX Ultra 2 Spec and the fact that it has passed without a dedicated "THX" input or switch should explain a lot.

Unlike many, the HGS-18 does however offer Balanced inputs (as well as the normal RCA type) which is much more important.

Hope this helps :)