HGS 18/15 Owners, Advice Please

Apocalypse

Standard Member
Reaction score
Before my pre amp returns I'd like find out what the optimum connection is for the HGS 18. The Velodyne FAQ states that the high level connection using a pre and power combo is the best option but I think that is for music only purposes as that method means you don't have a seperate subwoofer for lfe duties. Uncle Eric says a single phono is the best option and his word is certainly not be ignored so that's what I'm contemplating at the moment.

There are 2 more option though, would a subwoofer cable that has a Y phono that uses both inputs be better than a single phono to phono (single phono to 2 phono). Also what about an XLR balanced cable as a means of hook up.

Your thoughts please :)

I agree with Eric that a low-level connection using the crossover in your preamp will probably work best. It will relieve your power amp of a significant amount of additional load trying to reproduce frequencies of which your main speakers are not capable.

I don't see the value of using a Y connector to connect the sub cable to both L&R low level inputs. All the sub does internally is to add these two together, after all. The only possible reason for doing it would be if there was insufficient gain available within the sub to achieve a reasonable output level supposing that the pre-amps sub-out was of unusually low level. In practice, this is most unlikely. Connecting your pre-amps sub out to either one of L or R input should work fine.

I don't know if your preamp has a balanced XLR sub output. If it does, I would tend to use it. Balanced connections are much less susceptible to ground loops and hum pick up. Unless you are running a very long sub cable, or are forced to run it parallel to a mains cable (not recommended), the difference between XLR and phone is likely to be very small. However, why take the chance?

Personally, I use a balanced XLR cable from my processor to the R input on the HGS18. The volume control on the sub is only on notch number 2! I also don't use the auto turn-on function as it is a little insensitive, meaning Godzilla nods off when there is some low-level stuff he should be playing!! :(

Just my thoughts and I hope this helps. You should be in for some fun once your pre comes back. :D

In the manual for CHT15 the use of the Y Splitter is mentioned if you are using the Auto On/Off, with just the single phono connection the sub may not detect a signal at low volumes.

All I can say to that is, who in their right mind is going to buy one of these subs and play a low volume, especially that low the sub don't switch on. :eek:

Originally posted by bob007:
All I can say to that is, who in their right mind is going to buy one of these subs and play a low volume, especially that low the sub don't switch on.

bob007,

Perhaps I should have also explained that my front L&R and surround speakers are all full range and I only cross over stuff below 40Hz to the sub. The centre is crossed over at 80Hz.

The dozing off problem is mainly with stereo-only music. I listen almost exclusively to classical stuff and even with a Y connector, I doubt there is enough signal level all the time below 40Hz to keep Godzilla awake, but there is crucial 'atmosphere' at these frequencies present at low level in many recordings. But I take your point and can assure you that on action film soundtracks there is no chance of anyone nodding off!! :D

Thanks for that Charlie and bob, my sub is only 1.5metrers away from the pre amp (when it returns) so an XLR balanced cable won't really be necesary. I have the Ixos 1141 (3M) Gamma sub cable that I'll use for the low level connection, it'll be well away from any power leads.

N.B - People who reported the HGS subs as having a loud humming noise must look at the power lead, when I swapped cables and switched the sub on there was a loud hum but it turns out the power lead was touching the phono cable, as soon as I seperated them it was nearly silent again, never had that much intereference from a power lead before :eek:

Originally posted by Charlie Whitehouse
bob007,

Perhaps I should have also explained that my front L&R and surround speakers are all full range and I only cross over stuff below 40Hz to the sub. The centre is crossed over at 80Hz.

Charlie,

This wasn't a criticism regarding your set up, just a poor attempt at some humour towards the manual and it's reason for connecting a Y Splitter. ;)

To stop Godzilla from nodding in stereo, feed it some Club music. :D

Quite a few people on the U.s.a. forums have been having problems with the auto on/off situation on various makes of subs,and the addition of a y splitter has solved the problem,all depends on the stengh of the signal emerging from whatever amp/reciever you may have.
I know I have this problem at the moment and if the program is lowish in volume,it won`t switch into action,just waiting for the company to get hold of the right qualty splitter that I am looking for before putting this theory into practise and seeing if it works to my satisfaction.
But for now - just run the sub a little `hot` a little extra bass makes you :D

Bone Daddy

How are you getting along with your SVS mate?...
Just interested to see how the beast is performing.

Adzman.

Amazing Adzman,the thing is truely stunning,for instance got the Diana Krall dvd midweek and the quality of sound(& pic`)is a joy to behold,really well played music and the recording captures it all,played at home the SVS delivers the goods so preciesly and with such quality it just brings a :D to my face,this dvd was used in 3 or 4 rooms at the show this weekend in Manchester and not one of them came even half way to the quality of the bass the SVS delivers!!
Just starting to go through the collection of moves again,heard it loads before - but it just brings out stuff you have never heard before - be it low end or little nuances in the mid-range,for the money they really are one of the best buys around.
Will experiment with tuning the thing down to the 15hz mark and then try the 12hz one :eek: just have to check that the neighbours are out.

Just a few words from the late comer. The three musketeers (Charlie, Ian and myself) were in Manchester today and as I live furthest south (London) I got home last (lucky buggers)

As Charlie mentioned, and Phillip found out, mains leads should not be anywhere near the phono/balanced lead. Even a high quality lead like Monster needs to be kept at least 6-12" away if run parralel (which sometimes cannot be avoided).
If the phono cable must cross with the mains lead, it should be at 90 degrees.

Auto on/off.
This should never be used. Many American high end subs have this feature and it just doesent work right.
Unlike some, Velodyne offer the option of normal Off/On also (thank god)
As mentioned, the Auto off/on feature can catch out many a sub on certain soundtracks. During quiet passages for example, when subs are left on this setting, they can doze off and wake up having missed a few seconds of the action.

Best way to operate the HGS-15/18 is to leave it switched ON all the time and use the remote to put it on standby when you want Godzilla to take a nap and vice versa when you want the beast awakened :devil:

Easy peasy

That Diana Krall DVD - a rare find - never even heard of her before, but guess what my next DVD purchase will be? !!!!
Superb is the word that springs to mind - and who cares about the picture :)

Using my DVD player as a decoder was too loud but only if one used the front L&R speakers as the settings only allowed a minimum of -6db. By disconnecting the front main pair I can set the centre and rear to -12db and -10db respectively which give a pink noise volume of 76db. Hey no front pair is hell I know but I just had to have a taste of HGS power :)

First in the mixing pot was "The Ultimate DVD Platinum" disc 1, on the DTS section there is a 5 minute short film about building demolitions. Let me first say that I've played this many many times previously with a dual Paradigm PS1000 setup and with the B&W ASW675 so I know exactly how they performed. As soon as the first explosion went off my legs were feeling the rumble from the floor, I was hearing and feeling frequencies that I've never heard with the other subs. What I didn't know also untill now was that the first explosion was obviously sub 20Hz because there was no sound emanating from the sub at the tail end of the explosion, just that my feet and chest could feel this tingling, it was the most impressive explosion I've ever heard............but better was still to come. The 5 minute film has variation on the explosions, some are just a blasting sound that are mainly heard from the speakers while others are deep deep bass, a minute into the film a large red building is blasted from it's base, the thud just smacked me hard in the chest and I had a silly smile on my face from then on, almost every deep bass explosion was totally different from the previous subs sound. I'd like to know just how low some of the explosions were in the film because there was much room shaking going on :eek:

Next for the DTS mixing pot was the legendary Titan AE (chapter 16), the ship fly-by in the first few seconds of this chapter gave me a taste of what was to come (or so I thought), when the first piece of large ice collides with another I reached a new level of silly smile complex, the power of the sub was breathtaking, it's that tingling in your whole body from the sheer low frequency coupled with tight clean bass that just has to be heard to be believed. I realised other things too during this chapter, little things like when the ship has it's tail end snapped off by ice, the moment of impact hits you in the chest but it's such a quick tight sound you forget it came from such a large entity as the HGS18, truly remarkable.

Jurassic Park III DTS next, the scene from the jet hitting the Spinosaurus to the tussle between T-Rex and Spino, a scene I played a lot of times with the B&W ASW675. Again the HGS18 transformed the sound, each time the Spino roared or took a step the whole room (and me) was rumbling and tingling, the cleanliness of the bass though makes it hugely impressive rather than overbearing.

Conclusion

Without the front pair of speakers and using the decoding ability of a DVD player is in no way ideal for testing but it's given me a taste of what's to come and to think it will get better when my pre amp returns has me entering the "silly smile complex" mode again. Then I can finally try the HGS18 out on music too which if the movies are anything to go by will make for some days off work I think :devil:

I just realised that almost everything I said is so cliche with previous comments from HGS owners, this is definitely one case where the hype is fully justified, I honestly feel that £2k is a bargain for such a leap forward in performance, praise be to Uncle Eric for delivering the beast unto my tingly room.

Originally posted by Apocalypse
praise be to Uncle Eric for delivering the beast unto my tingly room.

I thought that City Link delivered it

Originally posted by Ian J
I thought that City Link delivered it
Actually, I deliver them sometimes :mad: Ouch, my back.
I have a customer who lives in Chelsea (not a forum member) and he bought one on the basis that I install it for him (not difficult at all).
Set off 7am and just got back. As I was leaving I took one look at his face and it looked something like this...:D :D :D

Phil,
Glad you love your Godzilla. As a slight variation on what Al Jolson used to say, "You ain't heard nothing yet" :cool:

Eric

Have to say, that since using the HGS-18 in conjunction with the Meridian 568.2, it tends to show up the 'bass-heavy' tracks of certain DTS movies. I've tweaked it enough now to sound controlled, although everyone knows about the state of my rooms (swap from kitchen - Lounge, Lounge - Kitchen)..
But i have tried other integrated's / receivers and the difference is obvious.......My mate lent me his Super Furry animals disc (what a load of shank!!!), although there's a real low-end throb in the intro part.......

Shake, shake, shake & shake...........no noise, just shake...
:eek:

Adzman

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom