1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HFX Build Help: Borg Chipset Cooler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by springtide, Oct 26, 2005.

1. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The first set of components have started to arrive for my HFX and I'm already stuck!

The manual that came with the cooler and what I downloaded from MCubed Website only seems to show how to attach the Heatpipes and not how the "Copper Block" attaches to the motherboard (mainly what fixings are used on the motherboard to allow the block to be attached via a set of top screws)

The kit came with a large number of brass screws, nuts, bolts etc but I cannot work out how these are used to install the kit.

Help anyone?

2. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what mobo / CPU are you using?

for my Abit AN8 Ultra S939 with A3000+ I placed the cpu on the mobo, pea sized amount of thermal paste on top. Then i took the borg and screwed in the two copper screws either side and placed it on top of the CPU and screwed it into the mobo.

next job involved placing the black ceremaic square on top of the borg, then laying the ends of the 4 copper pipes on top and screwing the other half of the the black ceremaic plate on top.

Then you gently bend the heatpipes over to the side of the hfx case where you again sandwich them between two more black square ceramic plates and attached them to the side of the case.

3. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    The board is a MSI K8N Nero4 Ultra Premium.
    Thanks for the reply, but it was the chipset cooler that I was having problems with!

I've removed the NForce chipset fan but now cannot work out what nut/bolt combination I need to use!

- Simon

4. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  5. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yep - It doesn't show how its connected to the motherboard - only shows the clamps on the block and the heatpipes! I could have worked that bit out myself :)

6. GLP1

GLP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Simon the parts look very similar to that of the graphics cooler

You have removed the fan

Attach the silver brackets to the primary heat sink tight enough to give a little play
    Place A spot of thermal grease to the chipset
    Position the brackets over the fan attachment holes then tighten the brackets
    Postion the spacer under the silver bracket place cross headed screw down thro the motherboard.
    on the reverse side place rubber washer and then the brass nut. Assuming there was no metal support bracket. If there was, incorporate it and any insultors in the order that you removed them.

To a large extent you could do a mock up through some cardboard as sometimes there are 2 lengths of screw provided and you have to select the most appriopriate.

I suggest you attach the heat pipes as one of the last things before completing the build or at least until your happy all the front panel leds are working ok. As the heat pipes could block key connectors sata's and make fitting the leads to the front panel difficult.

Next secure the Block onto the HFX chasis place the 2 heatpipes remember to apply thermal grease to all the contact surfaces. The pipes should be bent to rest in the grooves above the chipset. Always bend the heat pipes against the HFX chasis an not the chipset. Then secure the top plate

The enlarged pic in the Mcubed shop should prove useful

good luck

Gavin

7. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Thanks Gavin. Just looked at the photos on MCubed as you suggested then remembered the link to the PC Gamma review on their Website:

http://www.pcgamma.com/showthread.php?t=7772

Now that makes more sense. I got confused with too many nuts/bolts/screws etc that I was trying to work out how the brass supports are used, when in fact it's much simpler than that! (cos' is looks like the supports aren't used at all !)

Now that I know MCubed are very generous, hopefully the rest of the build will start progressing.

BTW - Did you use their thermal paste/grease or your own? (I have an unused tube of arctic silver to hand) Just wondering if their paste is designed not to "set" with heat to help with removal.

8. GLP1

GLP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No I didn't.... I used Artic Silver. You will need 2 tubes.

Good luck with the build. Its a great case. How are you fitting your HD('s)

Gavin

9. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Just the one drive (Samsung Spinpoint 250GB), using the Vertical Silence!
    Also got the Plaxtor SATA DVD-RW as this is only 170mm long (std is 200mm) as I've read about the DVD butting up against the memory (+ cabling benefits)

The case hasn't actually turned up (just a few bits and pieces) but should be with me anytime soon :)

10. GLP1

GLP1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The vertical silence look interesting..........

I used the mCubed rubber mounts. They work fine but I think they thermally isolate my spinpoints.

Not seen the pcgamma pictures before, does anyone know what graphics card that is?

Gavin

11. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I guess it's an ATI X800 although the picture with the Borg Northbridge fixing (where is shows the graphics card butting up against the cooler) looks similar to the silent Giga-Byte X700 card (have a look on Scan Computers) as the heatpipes go around the back.

12. mrees

mrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, are any of you running the Pentium D Dual Core with the Borg Heatpipes?

Im getting overheating something terrible.

Anyone out there with Pentium D and Borg HBC?

Regards,
    mrees

13. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Not sure which Pentium D you have, but the 3.0Ghz and 3.2 have Speedstep which would be v. useful to keep the heat down (AMD's "Cool and Quiet" works a treat on the AMD64 x2). Unfortunatly the Intels Pentuim D 2.8Ghz doesn't have SpeedStep.

If I remember correctly, all of the Pentium D's are at about the "thermal limit" of the 4 heatpipes of the Borg Cooler (think it's supposed to be "about 120watts") but I read that this can be increased by adding more heatpipes and "stacking" the xfer blocks on the cpu.

My only problem regarding heat appears to be the graphics card - it's a XFX Passively cooled low hight 6600. It's stable but gets very hot to the touch. I've underclocked the card to half of the standard GPU freq but it doesn't appear that much cooler. As I said, it's still stable. Anyone know what max temp the 6600 chips have?

14. mrees

mrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response springtide

Are you running Intel D?

Im about to return this case because I cant get the temperature below 90 degrees. Its simply over 20 degrees too hot :(

15. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    No, running a AMD x2 3800. CPU temp runs at about 49 deg after being left on for 24hrs.

Question - How hot does the case get? i.e. Are the heatpipes managing to xfer the heat? If not, just add a couple more heatpipes to the cpu cooler to the RHS (or even to the LHS)

The main source of heat I'm finding is the PSU, Samsung disk & the Graphics Card (Although the last - a passive 6600 - is now underclocked by 1/2 - 150Mhz core and 250Mhz memory)

16. mrees

mrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spingtide,

The problem definately seems to be heat transfer from the main block to the case. Its not getting there.

The CPU block is getting soo hot (cant touch)
    How can you fix extra pipes? Do you need another fitting on top of the existing block?

To be honest, I dont think I will continue with this case. Had way too many problems under Intels Dual core. If I knew this would be the case I would have gone AMD, but I was assured that Dual core would be OK.

Its very disappointing that Im going to have to give up this case and find something more "standard" for my media system.

I appreciate your replies. Its been hard to get feedback from people

Regards,
    mrees

17. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yep, 120 watts

http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/product_assessories.htm

Just checking the same page, all you need is "Borg HES Heatpipe Extension Set"

"The Heatpipe Extension Set extends the Borg by additional 4 heatpipes and mounting plates. The extensions can be used in two ways:
    The cooling capacity of the Borg HPC can be doubled from 120W to 240W ......."

You processor isn't that much off the thermal values - what maybe worth a try first, is to clean all of the thermal paste off all surfaces and start again - What thermal paste did you use? Although I did mostly use Arctic Silver, I did notice that they were a little "tight" with their thermal paste (which I thought unusual as over supplied everything else)