• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HF100 to DVD in both HD and SD

OldSkoO1

Established Member
I'm really struggling to find a conclusive answer to my question on backing up footage.

I'm set on the HF100 now but i dont have a clue how to make DVDs from the footage to backup so i dont need loads of memory cards (which is crazy).

1) I want to be able to make standard DVDs that will play in everyones players.

2) I also want to be able to make HD DVDs so i can make use of the full HD on the HF100.

3) Also if i record the footage to a normal DVD will it loose its HD PQ by noticable amounts or because it was a HD recording will it still look better on a SD DVD than if it was SD recording to SD dvd?

4) I assume the only way to watch the HD recordings without having loads of memory cards is to run them from a laptop into your TV? Which is a bit of a hassle to me - i'd rather just have all footage on DVD - so i want creating DVDs to be easy.

Thanks in advance,

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member

1) I want to be able to make standard DVDs that will play in everyones players.

You can do that, but it means downconverting to SD in software.

2) I also want to be able to make HD DVDs so i can make use of the full HD on the HF100.

Several options for this.

- Create AVCHD "mini DVD", on ordinary red laser disc, and play on a device which will play AVCHD discs (e.g. Playstation 3, some Bluray players).

- Create a Blu-Ray DVD video (need software support, a Blu-ray burner, and expensive discs).

- You can even create discs for HD-DVD players, though they lost the war.

3) Also if i record the footage to a normal DVD will it loose its HD PQ by noticable amounts or because it was a HD recording will it still look better on a SD DVD than if it was SD recording to SD dvd?

Depending on the software used to do the conversion; it should be as good as or better than your typical consumer SD camcorder... but it won't look as good as in HD.

4) I assume the only way to watch the HD recordings without having loads of memory cards is to run them from a laptop into your TV? Which is a bit of a hassle to me - i'd rather just have all footage on DVD - so i want creating DVDs to be easy.

There are also media players like the popcorn hour.

OldSkoO1

Established Member
Thank you

That media server looks just the treat actually.

Would i be able to just plug a external HDD into it with all my HD videos?

Then i could just connect my dvd recorder direct to the camera for SD recordings + sharing with people.

OldSkoO1

Established Member
ok scrap DVDs

this PCH device looks v.nice - i've just realised i can get a WD passport hard drive, plug it straight into the PCH device powered by USB and it will store 320Gb of HF100 files which the PCH will play to my panny HDTV in FULL HD without any messing around. - Is this right; it will maintain the full HD recorded format and play this FULL HD on my TV and i just have to drag and drop the files from the SD card to the WD passport HDD and the PCH will play the files straight away RAW?

If friends want DVDs we will just hook the HF100 up to our dvd recorder.

Providing i've got all this right the PCH + WD passport is a winner for my recordings!

daggad

Established Member
But how is the user friendlyness of the PCH ?

Is it like a media center display where you can choose witch files to play or how is it done ?

Mr Lazy

Established Member
this PCH device looks v.nice - i've just realised i can get a WD passport hard drive, plug it straight into the PCH device powered by USB and it will store 320Gb of HF100 files which the PCH will play to my panny HDTV in FULL HD without any messing around. - Is this right; it will maintain the full HD recorded format and play this FULL HD on my TV and i just have to drag and drop the files from the SD card to the WD passport HDD and the PCH will play the files straight away RAW?

I will probably do the same sort of thing for playback for my HF100 video (money permitting as ever :)) except that I already have two external hard disks (one of which is both NAS+USB) so might re-use one of those with the PCH, perhaps in a cheap portable USB-powered enclosure as you say. Apparently the PCH gets a bit hot with an internal HDD, which worries me.

Another (cheaper) way of doing it is to plug an SDHC card reader into the PCH's USB port - I've already had it confirmed in the PCH thread that this will work.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom