Hey ho silver New Silver 300

@Kapkirk, happy new year to you too. The airplay skipping seems to be better with the AQ cable. But it has not disappeared. Talked to Bluesound-the support is hopeless.

“Reset the router”.

Told them many are having issues with Airplay. Mine Node2i has been very unstable the last 6 weeks. Happened after lasted Bluesound software upgrade.

Also the Spotify app is very slow. Takes ages to write the artist name.I needed Spotify to delete my account, then to start all over again. This has helped, but not completely.

I appreciate you not calling me insane regarding the AQ Forrest cable! However I don’t know if it’s placebo. Still I’ve tried the Forrest against cheap Cat 5E, Cat 6 cables. I find the Forrest smoother, less harsh sounding.

Anyway, if it’s placebo. It’s good one!

You really hear differences between Lan cables?

You really hear differences between Lan cables?
I really don’t know to be frank. Perhaps it’s placebo. Try yourself. The AQ Forrest cable is not expensive.

I believe you. I'm not completely cable skeptic, but also I'm not true believer. I'm not able recognize WiFi connection and LAN on my streamer :)

Which streamer do you have? Argh the Node2i... It has been most of the time stable as rock. Few times, you need to reboot it. Now after the lasted upgrade.

Sorry, is the price the same as two Marantz PM8006 amplifiers?

What is question?????

Sorry, I thought it said 1650 pounds!

Has anyone else taken the plunge and buy this speakers? I’d be interested if anyone own the 3007G?

And if anyone has compared side by side.

The speakers are now two months old, give or take. I sincerely think they get better every day. More air, more warmth.

Epically the album Unplugged by Neil Young, where you literally can feel the atmosphere from the stage. Live feeling in your listing room. That’s hifi!

I love the backing vocals epically on Transformer Man.

Anyone else own this speakers. Please share your own opinion. What amplifiers are the best in your opinion. The perfect speaker placement and so on.

Take a picture from your placement of speakers :)

The speakers are now two months old, give or take. I sincerely think they get better every day. More air, more warmth.

Epically the album Unplugged by Neil Young, where you literally can feel the atmosphere from the stage. Live feeling in your listing room. That’s hifi!

I love the backing vocals epically on Transformer Man.

Anyone else own this speakers. Please share your own opinion. What amplifiers are the best in your opinion. The perfect speaker placement and so on.
You start off by saying how much you like your speakers. Then you need others to confirm it. If you like them enjoy them it doesn’t matter what others think of the same speaker. Everyone hears different. Enjoy the music.

You start off by saying how much you like your speakers. Then you need others to confirm it. If you like them enjoy them it doesn’t matter what others think of the same speaker. Everyone hears different. Enjoy the music.
Always said I like the sound, still do. I don’t need any confirmation from others to tell me what I like.

My questions were if amplifiers, speaker placement can improve the sound. I of course know this, still it’s fun to hear other people’s views.

This public forum, and am trying to keep this tread alive. Potentially many MA Silver 300 buyers out here, epically now since the new 7 G is on the market.

Please read the post, before you reply.

My questions were if amplifiers, speaker placement can improve the sound. I of course know this, still it’s fun to hear other people’s views.

Speaker placement can certainly change the sound. How far from walls may change the bass, distance to main listening position (moving will change may room modes apply). Toe in can make quite a considerable difference depending on the room and whether you want a focused listening area (toe in towards about 1ft behind your head) or more throw into the room (towards straight). With a more focused listening area you end with a more direct sound at you and less of it bouncing off walls which can yield a less coloured (by the room) sound and a tighter but also slightly narrower stereo image. Have them aiming out into the room does the opposite of course (more sound nof the room, wider image, maybe less well focused mono), but may give a more consistent sound around a larger room. Which is best is about the room (does it highly reflective walls/windows down the sides?) and personal preference.

Subjectively, I dont feel that toe in is a big deal with the 300s as I get the feeling their transition from direct sound to off axis sound is quite smooth as well as having a decently wide sweet spot. Some speakers can have quite abrupt transitions as well as somewhat on even off axis sound which between may mean you have to get the toe in right to avoid too much awkward room colouring.

As for amp, well an amp that struggles to control your speakers may have a bunch of issues with the most obvious being loose and maybe boomy (but maybe also less present) bass that lacks impact (poorly aligned sub can do that same). Some other issue may be harshness in mid range, more sibilence, but it tends to be mainly bass being most noticeable while others maybe not at all.

I use a Yamaha A-S2100 amp with my silver 300 which I find is a very good amp for excellent control and a very natural feeling (for want of any better term) high end. I also have the silver W12 sub as I have a 5.1 AV system which I also find to be a great sub for music as well as being one of the few subs that has summed LFE direct and line level L+R via crossover inputs as I use both with some careful alignment and room correction DSP on the music side as well as the AV side to make it all work well via both the stereo amp and my AVR.

I don't think these speakers (300) really need a sub unless you listen to a lot of music with extended bass (which I do, so its nice to get extension down towards 20Hz). I have the crossover at minimum so the sub just just fills in below the 300 roll off.

Thought about getting Yamaha AS1200. The problem i need to place it on the floor.

Dust accumulation and so on. Not ideal. Plus I lose the wonderful midrange control Marantz has. Oh, the blasphemy!

Tried more expensive amplifiers then PM8006. Not essential better all the time but certainly different.

More slam in the bass in the opening of the James Bond movie Spectre. Those bass drums!

PM8006 has slam, though not as dynamic. But I’ll survive. This hobby is a disease. Should be therapy group😂

Thought about getting Yamaha AS1200. The problem i need to place it on the floor.

Yes - they are very heavy and huge. Well worth it though if you can find a way to accommodate them, though maybe less so with the price massively hiked since I got mine which was well before brexit/pandemic etc. At the old prices they were relatively really excellent amps for the money, but now they have alot of very strong competition at current prices. Still a very good option for use with an AVR though for their excellent integration features.

I ended up making my own custom hifi rack on the cheap with Ikea Lack coffee tables (55cm square) and some 44mm solid pine to insert into the legs to strengthen it. It was intended as a temporary thing, but several years later its what I am still using. I ended up using lack table for a DiY AV stand as well as I needed space under it for center speaker and sub and nothing off the shelf grabbed me at all, never mind how over priced many are.

Last edited:
@Helix Hifi I understand your enthusiasm with the Silver 300 6G. I bought them when they launched after demo against the 200 and other brands inc pricier B&W CM range. This was before any reviews were launched. After running in, they kept me happy for a few years.

There are many great reviews of the Silver 300 6G online.
e.g.

I've not heard the Silver 7G but they are also receiving good reviews and the demo tracks in that YouTube video shared earlier suggests they're now closer to the Gold 5G.

The speakers are excellent. Together with Rotel mid bass punch it’s something to behold.

85 dB, the amplifier doesn’t flinch. Pink Floyd Pulse Album. Brain Damage track. In the opening you hear bass drums, guitar. If the amplifier is as loud as 60 the bass drums😊

@Kapkirk, I’ve tried the track you mentioned. Tara Putra song. The bass suddenly stops in the middle of the song, then it starts again.

Dynamics at it finest.

Anyone listed to the new Silver 300 7 g?

Today my speakers got proper workout. The volume on my amplifier was on 70, dangerously loud!

I don’t know how loud it was, probably 85 dB.

Test song is live version of Love Over Gold. You know the bass drums in middle of the song.

All I can say is wow. The nuances in bass drums on loud volume is pure magic.

Tried the same with Marantz PM8006 amplifier, which is no slouch, but it can’t keep up with the Rotel amplifier.

Hi Helix did you see this video?

No, thanks. It’s YouTube, of course. Difficult to compare speakers on YouTube.

However I fell Silver 300 have better imaging, more height, but dry sounding compared to Gold 200.

Gold 200 have less imaging, but softer presence in the bass and midrange.

Gold 200 have more textured bass. More precise so to speak. Better nuanced bass too. Perhaps warmer sounding.

The more expensive ones take the best of both speakers combined, and lifts the soundstage more.

Still incredibly difficult trough YouTube videos!

And in my room my speakers sound warm, yet bright when they need too. Neutral in other words.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom