Hey ho silver New Silver 300

Helix Hifi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New speakers arrived. Got them on Monday. Brand new Monitor Audio Silver 200. 50 percent discount since the new MA speakers are on the market.

Build quality is outstanding for their price class. The cabinets don’t make any noise at all. At least not much. Knock test tells me this speakers are robust. The drivers with the gold dome tweeter, silver drivers is really beautiful. Epically with the black finish. The outrigger feet’s is very stylish. Kudos to MA designers for coming up with that nice idea.

Soundstage is good but what strikes me is the depth. The battle from the Gladiator soundtrack is borderline dangerous to listen to. The speakers put you right in battle with Maximus. The intro on Saving Private Ryan is amazing to listen to. Guns fly trough the room.

This speakers are very midrange, tweeter oriented speakers.

The clocks on Time makes the room shake. Either you like it or not.

The midrange is softer then most speakers but there are so much drive in the speakers that they surround you with sound. Attack, attack, attack they scream to you.

Bass is very deep compared to the my old Oberon 5 speakers. It’s very entertaining. Drum and bass makes the room shake.

The speakers are particularly skilled at letting the small details be heard. So choir music can easily be heard. Timbre perhaps weak compared to Dali. So if you listen to a lot folk singers, then perhaps speakers with different sound approach then MA are preferred. Still it doesn’t bother me that much. Perhaps because of the Marantz amplifier.

When Luke Skywalker confronts Jabba in Return, you’re in the Jabba’s palace with Luke. The speakers let’s the music engulf you with excitement. Many speakers pale in comparison.

In short this are brutally revealing speakers with a lot bass to them. Warm speakers, look elsewhere. Neutral speakers, then perhaps they are for you. It’s what neutral for you.

Placement is pretty easy. 30 cm they are not boomy. Still 80 cm is the sweet spot. Toe in is required to get the soundstage in center.

Last edited:
The MA sound is not for everyone. Last time I listed to them in the shop. Bob Dylan Man In Black Coat was playing from the speakers.

The harmonica is harsh compared to other speakers. Perhaps not the correct word. But they are very revealing speakers. Soft dome speakers are warmer in the top end.

But the Marantz PM8006 is perfect for this speakers. It rolls off the top end little.

Vocals shine with this speakers. Neil Young voice is rusty, yet romantic.

The chorus on Brain Damage... The drums... Pure bliss.

The phone calls on the Wall album is fun to listen to. The end on Welcome To Machine when the alarm goes off is haunting. The party at the end. You can hear every nuance from the recording.

The submarine guitar on Echoes is brutally honest. The speakers snap in to focus.

This speakers are also tad louder in volume then the Dali speakers. I haven’t measured it. Probably 3 dB louder.

The speakers have sensitivity at 89 dB. 8 ohm. So they are easy to drive for most amplifiers. Online it says they can go as low as 3.8 ohm, but I can’t find any of this information in the speaker manual.

For anyone whose interested in buying this speakers then Marantz is perfect match. Marantz gives the midrange fuller sound then other amplifiers.

It could you find the bass slower on Marantz then other manufacturers so audition is key.

I'm glad you like them. I would agree with pretty much everything you said, especially the need to pair them with the right amp. I guess Marantz is a good pairing. I found the Rotel A11 and CD11 Tribute a little too much of a good thing...too much detail. I prefer a smoother sound, but rather than changing my amp and CD, I changed the speakers.

The build quality really is amazing. I recently sold mine, and my wife said she was sad to see them go. She'd never even sat down and listened to them. She said they were beautiful. Enough said.

Enjoy :)

Great write up, I have the 300's had them a few years now. Demoed a lot a speakers before buying these.

I've had them with x2 different Denon amps, for movies they are great. I eventually switched to an Arcam, it was like there was a cover lifted from them, the detail and clarity, just amazed me with the Arcam. Not as aggressive for movies as the Denon, but Id definitely stay with Arcam and MA now.

Your right about the build quality, they still look amazing even though they now have the 7g version out. I'm yet to see them in the flesh

Great write up, I have the 300's had them a few years now. Demoed a lot a speakers before buying these.

I've had them with x2 different Denon amps, for movies they are great. I eventually switched to an Arcam, it was like there was a cover lifted from them, the detail and clarity, just amazed me with the Arcam. Not as aggressive for movies as the Denon, but Id definitely stay with Arcam and MA now.

Your right about the build quality, they still look amazing even though they now have the 7g version out. I'm yet to see them in the flesh
Yeah, I was considering getting the new ones. In end 50 percent discount is to good to be true.

The bass response is particularly impressive. They are not bass shy at all. I still don’t know how MA has managed this.

Listing to Stones now. The bass on Jumping Jack Flash is bold. It’s in your face. Very entertaining. They are not bass shy speakers at all.

The vocals are laidback but the rest of midrange is upfront. This speakers can boogie.

Bass will improve with time too.

I considered getting the Dali Opticon 6 MK2. Fine speakers. Still the MA speakers can hold its own against the Opticon speakers. Perhaps Dali has more air in the midrange. It’s difficult to tell since I can’t compare them side by side.

Yes, I’m pretty sure the speakers we’ll get better after 100 hours. Only 30 hours of break in so far.

I'm glad you like them. I would agree with pretty much everything you said, especially the need to pair them with the right amp. I guess Marantz is a good pairing. I found the Rotel A11 and CD11 Tribute a little too much of a good thing...too much detail. I prefer a smoother sound, but rather than changing my amp and CD, I changed the speakers.

The build quality really is amazing. I recently sold mine, and my wife said she was sad to see them go. She'd never even sat down and listened to them. She said they were beautiful. Enough said.

Enjoy :)
Yes, perhaps Rotel is to neutral with Monitor Audio. One reviewer on YouTube had the exact same impression as you. It was the Silver 100. I believe the Rotel amplifier was the Tribute.

He said Rotel is excellent with other famous famous brands. I’m considering the new RA 1572 MK amplifier from Rotel. I’m pretty certain I’d get more bass slam then the Marantz amplifier.

Still buying new kit all the time is frustrating. I think I’ll stay with what I got.

Watched Return this evening. The line “Nevertheless you well bring captain solo to me”. And when Jabba laughs. It sends shiver down my spine.

I’m not sure Rotel is going to match the Silver speakers as well as the Marantz.

Bass slam probably. The Marantz has fuller midrange. Top end is rolled off. Bass is fuller also. But the bass is also rolled off tad. It’s gentle, dynamic sound. Not every person likes it.

Many crave more dynamics, neutral sound. If I compare the Hegel H190. I’ll get a lot more slam in the bass. But I well also lose the round bass Marantz has.

So it’s trade off. I don’t think you’ll find the perfect amplifier. Not the perfect speakers either. No matter the price.

Anyway as long as you like, it’s what matters in the end.

Congrats Helix Hifi!

I listened to MA 200 7g next Opticon 6 and I couldn't find anything wrong (apart from full price :) )

Congrats Helix Hifi!

I listened to MA 200 7g next Opticon 6 and I couldn't find anything wrong (apart from full price :) )
Thanks. How is the Dali speakers you own right now? I bet they are fine speakers. Did you get the original Dali spikes up and running, if not I believe Soundcare Superspikes is your best option.

It’s just that the the original Dali spikes bridge is designed for keeping the Dali speakers in perfect level on the floor.

So I simply don’t know.

Thanks. How is the Dali speakers you own right now? I bet they are fine speakers. Did you get the original Dali spikes up and running, if not I believe Soundcare Superspikes is your best option.

It’s just that the the original Dali spikes bridge is designed for keeping the Dali speakers in perfect level on the floor.

So I simply don’t know.
I was hoping to find dali spike bridges from a retailer or second hand, but I think I will have to order them from dali directly. They seem to be sturdier than the compact (4pcs) version that is included with speakers.

In the mean time, I put some cellar tape sticky side up on top of them and it took my cat one visit to go for other vantage points instead :)

I love Opticon 6, though I hear Io limitations sometimes. I lowered tracking force and the bass became less boomy, spikes can contribute as well.. I think I'll be alright for a while with my current setup :)

Bought an almost new pair of 200's from a fellow forum member 2 weeks ago. Paired with Audiolab 6000A and love 'em.:clap:

Congratulations to your new speakers :) I'm sure you will enjoy them. I really love my Gold 300 😉 :)

MA really do make lovely speakers.
I had a pair of Silver R8 speakers in beech (they don't even do that now!) which I had for years, only replaced them about 18 months ago. Really liked their sound.
Glad you are enjoying them @Helix Hifi what finish did you go for?

MA really do make lovely speakers.
I had a pair of Silver R8 speakers in beech (they don't even do that now!) which I had for years, only replaced them about 18 months ago. Really liked their sound.
Glad you are enjoying them @Helix Hifi what finish did you go for?
I went for the black finish, sadly wanted the rosewood finish. But impossible to order since MA has released their new speaker range. So I thought perhaps I could order the new 200 in rosewood, but in the end the price is too much. I have no quarrels the sound is better, still I don’t think it walks rings around the old version.

Still my hifi history is not over. I am waiting on the old Silver 300 in black finish. 50 percent discount on this speakers too. The bass on the Silver 200 is very upfront, deep sounding. But after awhile I suddenly started miss fuller bass. My old Dali Oberon 5 has fuller bass, but can’t touch MA dynamic, precise, upfront bass.

They probably we’ll arrive today or tomorrow. Hopefully my last speakers😉

Thought about getting subwoofer. Still I’ve tried subwoofer before. Since my amplifier does not support bass management it’s difficult to blend the subwoofer perfectly with the main speakers.

I’m also no bass head. But I like the bass to be full, deep sounding. If there is no bass, there’s no warmth in the sound.

Thought about getting subwoofer. Still I’ve tried subwoofer before. Since my amplifier does not support bass management it’s difficult to blend the subwoofer perfectly with the main speakers.

I’m also no bass head. But I like the bass to be full, deep sounding. If there is no bass, there’s no warmth in the sound.
Why not try a subwoofer that includes an app for bass management?

Why not try a subwoofer that includes an app for bass management?
Damn, never thought about that. Still I assume it’s going to cost more less the same as Silver 100, probably more. SVS, I presume?

Well it’s to late now. The old MA speakers are back at the store. Well I assume it’s never to late to buy subwoofer. The point is my neighbors won’t appreciate it. If so I need to place it below the sofa on the right corner. Then I need cables from the subwoofer to my amplifier. Around 6 meters of cables. Then I need to attach them to the wall, so I don’t trip over the cables.

Tried subwoofer for one week last year. I did appreciate the bass line on the song Losing End by Neil Young, it’s just that the subwoofer takes over the soundstage. It gets muddy. The trick is to only see the subwoofer, not hear it.

Since when did a subwoofer get accepted in a HiFi stereo setup? :)

I must be too old fashioned (binary)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom