Hey all.

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by bassy182, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, just after a bit of advise really...
    I have been thinking about geting a macbook for a while now,
    I only really use my laptop for the internet, i tunes, buring cds, occasionally work aswell, but thats really it, at the moment i have a Samsung p28.
    Would i see a big difference, i know that my laptop isnt very new, but its still working ok.
    Also if i was to buy a macbook, would you think it would warrant spending the extra for the black one.
    I will be geting this in duty free next week at heathrow, or do you think in new york would be better to buy one?

Cheers... Ashley

2. geniusworkin

geniusworkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    hi ashley,

firstly well done, this is your first step away from the dark side :devil:

The macbook is perfect for your requirements, it has all the software preinstalled for what you need. Simply putting it, its truly plug and play.

"Also if i was to buy a macbook, would you think it would warrant spending the extra for the black one."

The Blackbook is the top of the range, it has the fastest processor, and largest Hard Drive. Other than that its the same as the white ones. its £949 inc VAT. The nearest white book is £829.00

"I will be geting this in duty free next week at heathrow, or do you think in new york would be better to buy one?"

Honestly its better to buy in the States at the moment, BUT you will have to be careful with customs. If you do decide to buy in the states, dont bring the box with you, also try to ensure that the laptop is visibly (sp) used that way Customs cant charge you import tax. A lot of the users on the forums send the box home using the US Postal Service. $15 ish.

blackbook is roughly £750 in the States ... http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...9584003/wo/Xp5vltOi4Plg2SYfyLF23ND6ZR0/2.?p=0

Regards,

gw

p.s. they're wonderful !

3. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    Now THATS a Genius Working!! That's how I would do it, but is the warranty covered in the UK for 12 months?

4. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for the replys!
    I do use it and put a lot of music on it.
    So i think for the sake of £100 odd its worth
    geting the black one,
    So you mean walk through customs with it under your arm or something,
    and am i right in thinking the warranty is worldwide.
    Cheers Ashley

5. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yes, the warrenty is world wide,

I would keep the laptop in your hand luggage. Maybe also take some discs with photos out to the US with you so you can add these to your macbook when you are out there.

Also, don't forget the that different states have different taxes, but NY is about 8.5% so don't forget to add this to the final price.

Muzzi

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    bassy

take a look here for my answer to this question a couple of weeks ago ... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6165320&postcount=24 ... it's actually cheaper to buy from Heathrow (albeit by a few quid) and you don't have any customs worries ...

Might also want to read this thread too ... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683708

The down side will be if you want to buy any new model announced this afternoon - dixons tax free certainly won't have any in by next week ... when I wanted to get my new-spec black macbook in late november (announced early november) they didn't get their stock in til mid-december ...

Hope that helps a bit ...

Jon

7. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Bear in mind that it's cheap and easy to upgrade your HDD so even if you go for the blackbook you may find you'll want to upgrade to a 250 or 320GB internal at some point anyway. For that reason I'd go with the colour you prefer rather than letting the HDD size sway you.

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Actually the black and the top white have the same processor - 2.2Ghz - so it is only the HD size and the black case you pay for ...

Last time I checked Dixons tax free only had the 2.2 white in stock so you might be out of luck - whichever you get then I highly recommend getting a SPECK case for it (buy in the US) ... http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/13-macbook/24 ... got the clear one for my black MB but a coloured one with a white MB would look good !!

Jon

9. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey ,,, Well im abit stuck now, i really wanted to get a Apple either at the airport or in Newyork, Does anyone think the prices of the macbook come down alot now.
    Cheers

10. geniusworkin

geniusworkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    no,

the prices wont come down, the current Macbook/ Macbook Pro ranges aren't effected by this afternoon Keynote.

As Jon said earlier, it actually works out cheaper to buy here (buy a coupla quid) but do bare in mind you 'll have to store it somewhere safe for the duration of your stay. Personally I'd hate that.

On the other hand, if you buy from the States. Theres the box situation ...

The lesser of 2 evils ... :rolleyes:

Good Luck,

gw

p.s. grab us an Air while you're out there. ;-)

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,526
    Actually dixons also operate a pick-it-up when you return facility, or a home delivery facility...So that shouldn't be a problem...

12. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, can anyone tell me how hard it is to install the new ram as posted in the forum to a macbook, and how much you are looking at for a 250 gig hard drive, and how hard that is to fit?
    cheers

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,526
    RAM is as easy as removing the big external screw with a 50p piece :) And then remove 3 internal screws, pull the lever to get the RAM out and push the new in.....

But whilst you have it open, grab the hard drive on the left and slide it out. You will need a T-8 screwdriver to get its bracket off once out and undo two more screws. Put it on the new 250Gb drive (I paid £86 for mine) and push it back in....

Done!

14. triobot

triobot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Get a macbook AIR !!! :eek:

i got the white macbook with the specs of the blackbooks and I like it :/

15. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, got myself a black one at the airport, some small questions, when your on safari is there any way u can maximise it so it takes the whole screen up and also i have an iphone which was syncd with my other windows laptop is there anyway i can transfer all the music from the phone on to itunes on the mac?
    cheers

16. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Glad you got one in the end - hope you are enjoying !!

Annoyingly (unlike windoze) the green (maximise) button in the menu bar increases the safari window only to the current website size - it doesn't go to the full width of the screen - you'll have to drag the bottom right hand corner out ...

If you can copy the music from the iTunes folder on the PC to a memory stick you can reformat the iphone to a clean OS and then import the music into iTunes on the mac and sync it from there ... if you have any itunes purchased tracks you should 'deauthorise' your pc before you authorise your mac and then can copy/download them again ...

Jon

17. bassy182

bassy182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, i shall try this tomorrow, what size memory stick should i try?

18. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Most of the time I am a Firefox user but occasionally if I want to use the whole screen for browsing I use Shiira which is the only brower I have found that allows 100% of the screen to be used for browsing.

19. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    If you check the size of the itunes music folder in windows then you can see how big it is - you can always split the copying in to two or three sessions - eg A-M then N-Z if your memory stick isn't big enough ...

Jon