• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hey all - Advice & Suggestions

Mikey601

Standard Member
First of all, WOW. Some very impressive work here.

Im here looking for advice, i think ive found all the inspiration for my living room its just i dont really have to knowledge of AV to choose or plan what and what goes where.

Basically the biggest problem i have is that in my living room i have a gas fire with a back boiler. On having a conversation with a corgi guy some hours ago it cant be moved unless i have a full combi fitted. Havent got the money for a combi boiler (priorities AV system first ;) )

See pic
DSC00201.jpg

Im doing a floating wall on the wall which has the gas fire. Ive figured that bit out. But im trying to find a way of covering that awful looking gas fire with some side ventillation.

Thats the first bump in the road. So any suggestions would be very welcome. Personally was thinking of building a symmetrical unit to cover the fire and the opposite side to house AV equipment or just storage space.

Something like []oooo[], with the right hand box covering the fire. Sorry dont know how to upload a sketch from sketchup

So that would solve the fire issue.

Now, im also doing a lighting trough but i want to run the speaker wire through the trough to elminate a lot of the channel that will need to be done. But before i can plan that i need some advice on some good rear speakers? Also i have seen some speaker people have put in with 2 wires going in and also 4 wires going in, difference being?

I havent decided on a TV yet but in the planning process i can map out generally where i want wires running to and from. Problem being what wires? I read about people putting coaxil, HDMI, ethernet etc etc But i dont want to leave myself buying somehting i come across and then to have to run another wire and a later point because i didnt think of it now.

So could you be kind enough to list what the main wires i would need to run a full AV setup.

Im sure thats enough for you to get your heads around and thats more than even for me to understand your answers.

Thanks in return and i hope to be posted pics on my DIY job :thumbsup:

Tom500

Established Member
Hi,

I had a similiar issue to you in that we had a gas fire with the backboiler, I would advise you dont cover it up in anyway. They need lots of ventilation, I dont think its worth the risk, you could potentially get a whole new system fitted for under 3K you would save allot of money on gas and it would clear your wall up.

gregster10217

Established Member
Dding on your budget and overall setup, buy yourself a decent amp with HDMI inputs and output(s). By doing that, you'd only need one HDMI cable running to your TV, with all of your HD sources (PS3, Sky HD etc) running through you amp. Even if you don't have them now, it will future proof your set up and negate the need for doing it later and all the hassle that will come from having to 'undo' your floating wall.
The speakers with 4 wires in a bi-wired - most high end amps have this ability. Just means that different frequencies (hig/low) are carried to the speaker independently. If you are a serious audiophile then worth considering, if not - don't bother!!!
Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress.

Greg

fernando

Established Member
Dding on your budget and overall setup, buy yourself a decent amp with HDMI inputs and output(s). By doing that, you'd only need one HDMI cable running to your TV, with all of your HD sources (PS3, Sky HD etc) running through you amp. Even if you don't have them now, it will future proof your set up and negate the need for doing it later and all the hassle that will come from having to 'undo' your floating wall.
The speakers with 4 wires in a bi-wired - most high end amps have this ability. Just means that different frequencies (hig/low) are carried to the speaker independently. If you are a serious audiophile then worth considering, if not - don't bother!!!
Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress.

Greg

Just so I understand this correct. You can buy an amp with HDMI inputs, run all your visual equipment into the amp(skp, dvd etc) and then run one hdmi cable to the tv and job done? - wow - things have moved on since I used to buy what hi fi! Any suggestions on a budget amp that does the job?

Jobjohn

Established Member
Just so I understand this correct. You can buy an amp with HDMI inputs, run all your visual equipment into the amp(skp, dvd etc) and then run one hdmi cable to the tv and job done? - wow - things have moved on since I used to buy what hi fi! Any suggestions on a budget amp that does the job?

Hello.

I believe there are three good budget options to consider.
  1. Yamaha DSP-AX763
    • Currently WhatHiFi BestBuy Budget AV Amp
    • No upscaling, but not important to everybody.
    • WhatHiFi Review Link
  2. Denon AVR-1909
  3. Onkyo TX-SR606
    • Its a classic in its own time, an upgrade of the 605.
    • Lots of support and help on the web, as its very popular.
    • WhatHiFi Review Link

But am no expert, am working with a mate on his AV room at the moment, he has gone with the Denon. Can you list what equipment you currently have? What equipment you need? And generally what you would like to achieve.

Cheers, JD.

Last edited:

Mikey601

Standard Member
Quick update for those interested :)

Just taken down all the existing coving and penciled the guidelines for the light trough.

Hopefully getting all the mdf together tomorrow. After a quick lick of paint hopefully have atleast the rails up tomorrow night.

Thanks for the info on the amp, still need to research a bit more as to what wires to run as in the long run im looking for a pc down there aswell.

Pics will be up tomorrow, im knackered now so off to bed :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom