1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hertz issue : 50Hz & 60 Hz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by argon106, Dec 15, 2004.

1. argon106

argon106

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I was wondering if any AV amp with an indication of 50Hz only could be used in the area of 60Hz.

In the case of Pioneer, there is an indication of 50/60 Hz at the back panel of the amp, but there is only 50Hz for the amps from Denon or Sony.

I am not sure the amps from Denon and Sony can operate well in the area of 60Hz.

Thanks.

2. teabag1605

teabag1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will also depend on the voltage range of the Amp,

Usually if it says it can take 110v then it is also usually okay with 60 hz, if the voltage tag indicated only > 200 Volts then the power sully is unlikely to be able to cope.

Having siad that you may find that there is a link or switch on the power supply to switch it to 110V/60hz operation if you take the cover off as a number of devices are done this way to reduce the manufacteuring costs.

Regards

Teabag

3. argon106

argon106

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Teabag,

Thank you for your reply.

If I want use an AV amp with 230V~ and 50Hz (for instance, Denon AVR 2805) in the area of 220V and 60Hz, there is any problem? I think the voltage is okay, but I am not sure about Hertz.

Thanks again.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A lot depends on the type of power supply in use. A "linear" power supply which has a normal mains transformer can probably cope OK with 60Hz, but the transformer may be a little more efficient at 60Hz, and might need "tapping down" if there are alternative taps on the transformer. If a "switched mode" power supply might not cope so well, so it's advisable to seek advice from the manufacturer.

220V 60Hz is quite unusual. What country are we talking about ?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Without guarantee but most likely it will work unless the unit has a very fuzzy power supply section.

6. argon106

argon106

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are only a few countries where 220V/60Hz is used, such as South Korea, Philippines, Peru as far as I know.

Anyway, many thanks all!

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As has already been said, 240V at 60Hz is quite odd. From a purely mathematical point of view, using a power supply rated for 60Hz in a 50Hz environment would present no problems. Using a 60Hz power supply in a 50Hz environment, however, has the potential to produce a lot of noise within the system.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Countries that change from 110V to 220V or those where you have 110V for "normal" electrical equipment and 220V for more powerful equipment (e.g. air-condition) usually have 60Hz, Taiwan being such an example (2 Phase supply - Phase against phase gives 220V while each phase against neutral provides 110V).