Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hero...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody with an interest in Chinese culture and movies should check out Hero . Starring Jet Li the story is one of love, hate and assasination. The cinematography is absolutley stunning. Loads of sword fights, millions of flying arrows and a Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS ES discrete soundtrack to choose from. I listened to the DD version and it convinced me to keep my amp.
    There's also a second disc full of extra's that I haven't watched yet so I can't comment.
    But, if you didn't enjoy Crouching Tiger, you might want to give this a miss...

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weird I was just reading about this... had it for a couple of months and it is as you say, fantastic. The 6.1 DTS track is actually one of those that is head and shoulders above the DD track and is possibly the best surround track i have ever heard.

my thoughts here

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have to watch it again in dts - though not a great lover of the format, I'll try anything once.
    The thing my wife pointed out was that each individual story was done in a different colour - all pastel blues, greens and lots of bright white.
    The fight scene on the lake just took my breath away, as did the arrow dodging scene in the caligraphy school.
    This is one film I hope Hollywood do not get hold off and spoil.
    I also watched Infernal Affairs last week sometime (these are the only 2 films I have had a chance to watch the last 2 weeks!!) which was also stunning, but, unfortunatly has been picked by Hollywodd to be ripped apart and ruined. You can just see Mark Whalberg and george Clooney as the 2 leading men in that movie - one meant to be a Triad who is a member of the Hong Kong police and the other a Hong Kong policeman who is supposed to be a Triad...:rolleyes: Don't think it'll work somehow.
    Does anybody have any oither reccomendations of these type of movies - I'm right into them at the moment and my mates at work can't understand my enthusiasm - they can't read and watch at the same time...:boring: :suicide:

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DTS track is worth another watch, it really is THAT good, I believe Miramax stumped up some of the cash for this one so a remake is unlikely.

Infernal Affairs is another cracker yes, I understand Brad Pitt was interested, but its one of those that should be left alone as I fail to see how it could be bettered.

This thread might help you.

I would personally reccommend Volcano High, its a lot of fun.

5. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched both of these fairly recently as well. Just so much better than anything coming out of Hollywood at the moment.

The sound on both DVD's is amongst the best I've heard as well.

6. Fjolle

Fjolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any news of the directors cut of Hero?

Last thing i heard was sometime in april...

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't remember the reasons but I had heard that it had been shelved, the pacing of the currently available version is just about perfect though, I don't think it needs anymore added.

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21,349
    Hi,

Army Bloke have you seen Shoalin Soccer. I think it is a must see.

Volcano High, has a fantasic dark rainy look and direction about it.

Hero was superb. Especially the fight in the red woody area with the two girls. Awesome look.

ta

rai

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have seen Shaolin Soccer - thought it was very good. Really fancy this Volcano High now - any idea where I can get a copy?

10. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Moivetyme are doing it at a very expensive price but your best bet will be DDDhouse it will be very cheap there. I must say that I am very into HK and asia movies in general at the moment. Hero must rank as one of the best films I've seen period.

11. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think Infernal Affairs 2 is in in the pipeline.

12. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got my copy of volcano high from dddhouse, also worth checking out is Dark Water a Japanese horror is the still of the ring.

13. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21,349
    Hi,

Yes dddhouse, they are very good and cheap.

I also have still to watch;

inner senses - (horror)
    The Happiness Of The Katakuris - (comdey/horror musical)
    the returner - (action)
    bangkok dangerous - (action)

also have you seen 'The Eye', which was very good (horror)

I'm find the foreign directors (oriential especially), far more creative than anything hollywood are putting out, (matrix aside). which is great for us.

ta

rai

14. peasoup

peasoup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hero and Infernal affairs are both excelent movies and Shaolin Soccer is just a blast but was I the only person disapointed with volcanoe high? I found it a bit boring and the decent scenes were far apart allthough the final scene in the baseball field was just wicked. Anyone seen the returner yet?

15. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Theres a sequel and a Prequel to Infernal affairs on the way. I posted details a few weeks back on the movie forum
    See Here
    Volcano High - Remember that Hong Kong Legends new label Premier Asia will be releasing a SE of this - thats why i sold my very good R3 dvds.
    Returner is another superb Sci Fi actioner from Japan - well worth getting.
    Others asian movies i really enjoyed..
    Happiness Of The Katakuris - Get the R1 Se dvd - very mad but fun movie, song and dance with zombies :clap: From the director of Ichi the Killer, Dead or alive 1-3, City of lost souls etc.
    St Johns wort R3 - Great creepy haunted house movie DTS is really good.
    Another Heaven R3 - Great Japanese horror
    Avalon R3 - Superb SFX in this Sci Fi movie about a vitual reality game Made by Mamoru Oshii (ghost in the shell, Patlabor movies etc)
    Horror hotline Big headed monster R3 - Very good horror dont let the silly title put you off.
    Kairo (aka Pulse) - Another good Japanese horror - similar to the ring but involving a killer website.
    Naked Weapon R3 - Great action movie with some very lovely :devil: ladies
    Phantom the submarine R3 - Very Good korean thriller

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow...loads to keep me going. Cheers guys.

17. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I really fancy Double Vision has anybody seen it yet. It sounds excellent and the trailer looks great very posituve reviews on IMDB too.

Chen Guofu's "Double Vision" is not a ghost story but rather a movie about mysterious superstition, conspiracies by evil sects and chain murders that the police tries to solve.
    Furthermore it is a picture of international impact as the cast list reflects with its members on and behind the scene. It not only stars Hong Kong's Ka Fai Leung, but also Taiwanese star Rene Liu and American actor Davisd Morse among other known artists.
    Hong Kong camera man Huang Yuetai was responsible for the shooting of the movie. In Taiwan alone this exceptional film broke the box office record with unbelievable proceeds of almost 40 million, which ranks it as the most successful horror flick in the entire local film history!

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dammit I can see a massive DDDhouse order being placed today!! I'd second the Dark Water reccommedation, have you seen Ringu?

19. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got infernal Affairs and didn't enjoy it that much.

I felt it was a bit too long, but otoh i am not a big fan of these types of films. I could see in retrospect though, that this was probably the best of its genre that i have seen. In short, good if you like that sort of thing.

I guess a lot of people here like it because the two main characters are hifi fanatics.

Also in my collection is Volcano High. A very very good film. However. The DVD had a problem with it, the fight in the forest, why was that cut from the film and in the deleted scenes, the first time i watched it through i was wondering what they were on about 'severed vital links' but the forest fight explains that. and the girl was funny, always a good thing. Of course, ironically the back cover of the dvd box is from that scene.

Also in my mad asian films collection are Shaolin Soccer and the God of Cookery, both similar films, both completely insane, both rather good.

Its certainly interesting, most of it original stuff.

20. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm really tempted to buy this from CD-WOW but there are rumors of a directors cut. Also the region 3 DVD has no english subtitles for the making of documentary which I would really like to see.

Does anyone know if this will be available on region 2 and if/when a directors cut will appear?

Thanks.

21. miniroll171

miniroll171

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend brought Hero round at the weekend and we watched it on my projector. I thought it was excellent especially the fight scene in all those leaves! I have some other friends that I want to show it to, but they dont like subtitles, so is there gonna be a dubbed version coming out?

22. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would assume that the region 2 will offer a dubbed soundtrack (although original sound with subtitles is just fine with me). I'm holding off buying it because the region 3 doesn't have subtitles for the extras and I would really like to see the extended edition.

I emailed CD-WOW to see if they know if/when the extended edition will appear. A web search revealed nothing.

23. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    All these people who say 'urghhhhhhhhhhh subtitles' do my head in, my brother was like that and I sat him down with Shaolin Soccer and Taxi. He know loves them!

There is so so many great films out there that people are missing out on because of fear of subtitles!