1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr_Wistles, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    Hello there can someone provide me with a link to the dts-es version of Hero please, for the life of me I cannot find it.

I know it is avaliable as I have seen it round someones house.

2. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    go for the korean R3 version m8 just had it today well wicked :clap:

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    I have taken your advice and gone for R3. Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Korean release have the same full-rate DTS-ES soundtrack as the Edko release from Hond Kong... I wouldn't buy the film without it.

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the full bit rate DTS soundtrack is a killer - the sound of the rain is superb, you can almost pick out each rain drop.

Gary

7. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Probably a stupid question but....... i can't get my amp to select ES Discrete for this film(like it does for LOTR) is will only select Matrix 6.1. Any ideas? Its a Yamaha DSP640AX by the way.

8. Njål

Njål

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Korean Ultimate Edition (not sure about the first Korean release) has the same full bitrate DTS ES soundtrack as the Edko, while the Japanese has full bitrate 5.1, and better picture quality.
    See here for screencaps from the Korean U.E. vs the Japanese release.

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I REALLY don't like the picture on the Japanese release, the colours are overly warm and the picture looks like those soft focus shots of cybil sheppard in Moonlighting almost blurry which in turn destroys any fine detail on screen.

I can live with the very, very slight motion blurring on the Edko release. The colours are so much more precise on it as well.

IAMTHEONE - Not sure mate, the disc is flagged correctly and my amp picked up the 6.1 discrete feed.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The motion blurring on the EDKO release might be due to the fact the frame rate is 30fps meaning its transferred as video ( Japanese version will be 24fps ) the screen grabs from DVD Beaver don't compensate for this or take it into account so it looks worse than it really is, the picture quality is superb and i prefer the EDKO colour scheme which adds a fantasy type element to this picture, glad someone else agrees with me and of course that fullbitrate DTS 6.1 track :)

A good scaler or progressive DVD player will actually compensate for this 30fps, but a software DVD player which was used to take the screenshots at DVD Beaver doesn't hence it looks worse than it really is.

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, I've felt like I was talking to a brick wall everytime I've praised the Edko picture over the Japanese release.

12. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A friend on mine downloaded this film from the net, and to show off the quality of the download he showed me the very impressive ending. So that's kinda blown the rest of the film I suppose. I'll still watch it though as it does look good! :smashin:

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well I just recieved the Edko version after refusing to watch the chinese version with pop up logo every 5 minutes and clipped colour and badly mastered cadence problems.

You know what the Edko version is almost as bad picture wise. Soft mushy , odd looking blues and cadence problems that even dscaler can't fix.

This has been transcoded from PAL by the looks of things . I can't believe some of you guys think this is a good picture.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    No it won't. It will do a handful of things , read the flagging on the disc and ignore the 3:2 pulldown fields to get you 24fps , ignore the flagging and detect a 3:2 pulldown sequence and give you a simple weave to get you to 30fps with pulldown artifacts , detect the cadence as video and or give up on it and do a simple bob and get you 60fps(alternatively do the same thing but drop every other field giving you 30fps of 1 fields worth of resolution!). Standalone or software will make little difference to the deinterlace technique employed. Display refresh rates will additionally play a role and or any frame smoothing techniques (effectively pulldown again) employed as a result .

The discs themselves are normal NTSC albeit from something thats been crowbared from a different format. The Japanese version will not be 24fps it will be NTSC 60 fields per second with 3:2 pulldown flagged fields , if you are lucky.

taking a screenshot from a software player will either get you a good coherent woven frame from two correct fields , a bobbed frame made up of one field resized to be full height or two mismatched fields which may additionally also have been mashed during the transcode in a number of ways.

Both these disks ( the edko and the chinese one) are definitely fu'd. If anything I'd say the edko is slightly worse in this area. Video wise this footage has been metaphorically put through the blender.

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We'll have to agree to disagree Mr D as i believe with a good de-interlacer most of the claimed advantages of the Region 2 Japanese release can be negated but like i say we'll have to disagree this time over the picture quality too as on my player which is a Toshiba i found it to be extremely good and i watch a lot of films, very slight motion blurring on some scenes but nothing i consider major.

16. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I'm just got the Korean ultimate edition,it has to be the nicest packaging i've seen on a dvd,excellent sound and picture as well.

17. soulbrother

soulbrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is for Stevesorted,do the subtitles spoil the look of the film? i know all the versions that will be released will have subs.