1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero-Region 3 Disc Life Expectance!!!!!?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eatstatic, Mar 18, 2005.

1. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well, as I am off work ill :devil:, I decided that with the recent release of Hero R2 to break out the old region 3 edition and give it viewing..............

However, the disc has decided that will not be the case. Without checking I loaded the disc into my player (the once troublesome Denon 2900) and sat back to relax and be entertained. Not the case, the menus didn't even play correctly. Instant annoyance :mad: put this down to the 2900 playing up.

On ejecting the disc noticed that it developed markings which were not present at the time of purchase (and/or original trouble free viewing) which appear (and are) to be beneath the surface and actually on the recorded layer/part of the disc. DISC ROT!? :(
    It looks different to the Terminator discs which I had relaced.

This is the 3rd copy of the disc as the previous 2 had manufacture quality issues and would not play. So when I received this copy it was put under the microscope so to speak and none of the markings now present appeared on it.

It will not even play on any of my other players/drives.

Has anyone else with the Region 3 EDKO 2 disc edition had any problems?
    This was bought some time ago so I am unable exchange (I have tried).

Checked the EDKO 1 & 2 disc versions Of House Of Flying Daggers and the quality of these discs is much better so hoping that I will not have the same problems in later years.

So how long do dvd's last if problems like this can develop while on the shelf? :eek:

eatstatic.

Small consolation ..........bonus disc is fine :rolleyes:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Can you not wipe it clean carefully, or is it under the protective layer?

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,272
    Well he says it is beneath the surface on the recorded layer so cleaning isnt an option.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Is it possible that Korean made DVDs just arent always well made? Personally I only trust US, UK and Japan made DVDs as the manufacturing standards are always regulated. DVDs made in other countries that may be cheaper may not be regulated properly.
    It could just be this one particular maker/title, but it may be true with other R3 Korean DVDs too. Dont really know myself!
    Personally ive never had a single problem with any of my R1 and R2 jp titles.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've got the R3 two disc which i bought 2nd hand off someone on the forums a while back, got around to watching it the other day and it played fine. I'd imagine it's a few months old as i got the impression it was fairly new when i bought it. As for the movie, i don't know what all the fuss is about, i thought it was a bit lame.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    :eek: This was one of my fave movies of last year! What didn’t you like about it?!?

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    maybe i'm just not into the whole japanese floaty through trees ballet ninja samurai movies, i thought crouching tiger was tosh too. apart from a few decent fighting scenes in each, i thought they were just stupid

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    If it’s just not your type of movie that’s fair enough, personally I loved it along with CTHD and HoFD too! :thumbsup:

9. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Nothing to do with Korean made dvds?? The dvd in question is a HK made and released dvd. Korean dvds are far better than the dirt cheap HK dvds.

Not quite theres been loads of problems with R2 UK releases due to poor manufacturing - eg Terminator, Silence of the lambs, Many many discs made by Technicolor.
    As for R1 discs Anchor Bays dvds (certainly the early ones) are well known for disc rot? problems. Or the famous Toy story box set which was made by Disney - my box set suffers.

10. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yup, done the whole cleany thing (even though I knew it would not make any difference) just to make sure.

And yes the disc is not the best quality/manufactured ive seen (in fact its quite poor pobably the reason for the disc rot) but I expected it to have lasted longer than it did.

Will be keeping an eye on HOFD and Kung Fu Hustle being more recent HK purchases although these look to be far better quality. Having said that the terminator was region 2.

Has sort of made me wonder just how long DVD's will last in general :rolleyes: as it would appear that I have invested in a fair amount dosh in them, woudn't like to think how much.

eatstatic

marc_angelus,

Now come on. You might not like the films (don't tell me you watched HOFD as well) but ..... 'ninja samurai movies' :rotfl:

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    that was the part you picked up on? lol, i actually called them
    japanese floaty through trees ballet ninja samurai movies :p

and no, i haven't watched HOFD, had been meaning to buy it but since i've now disliked both the highly rated mandarin movies i've watched, i'm not sure if i should bother.. or perhaps i should just download it to see whether it's worth buying.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well HoFD is closer to CTHD than Hero imo, so if you didn't like that then there's probably no point!

13. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Regarding the issue with the disc noticed that in a previous thread I with regards to the original copies had the very same problems :blush: (but on arrival) this just took some time to deteriorate. Sigh......

marc_angelus,

Would agree with Tejstar regarding comparisons and also with regards to actually buying it. If ya didn't like the others can't see that this would be any deferent.
    But if ya have a sense of humour and you still want to see a Fu Flick Kung Fu Hustle should be a safe bet!?

eatstatic

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I actually got this recently along with Shaolin Soccer, still haven't got around to watching it yet but the trailer was brilliant. It looks like a very different film to Hero so as eatstatic said you may enjoy this!

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i checked my disc over the weekend and its mint. no problems.

Gary

16. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I stopped buying the HK region 3 discs a long while back when the quality seemed to take a nose dive and my arcam started complaining.... never had any issues with Korean R3 or Japan R2 discs though.

I also thought Hero as a movie was pants.... though the soundtrack was amazing.