1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero - not that impressed.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RMCF, Feb 25, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Will probably feel the wrath of many people for this one, but I rented Hero last night and was VERY disappointed considering its rave reviews. I think that it just tried too hard, and was very 'showy'. It looked too much like a colouring book with all that tacky colour and it just seemed to be a series of set-pieces strung together. Too much slo-mo and wind blowing in peoples' hair. Characters standing in the middle of nowhere wearing nice costumes - does this make a film stylish? I think every character in the film had a single tear run down their face at some point or other. I saw Zatiochi recently and it was far far superior. Any thoughts/anyone agree?

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    You best not watch House of Flying Daggers then!
    I'd say Zatoichi is a very different kind of film, more character based and more straight-forward.

I enjoyed Hero, but it is supposed to make more sense if you understand Chinese history (I don't) as there are lots of references that the ignorant will miss. It is meant to be look at what makes a hero, depending upon point of view.

I think it is one Jet Li's better films and knocks the socks off Crouching Tiger. It may not be the best example of the genre (can't remember the name - wuxia?) but you need to suspend belief with most eastern martial arts based films (have you seen Azumi?!!).

3. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Wu-shu.

IIRC.

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Not arguing with the final sentiment of the film ie what makes a hero - very thought provoking - just thought that the film was over the top. Wasn't that impressed with Crouching Tiger when I first seen it, so perhaps will not rush to rent Flying Daggers!! All that jumping around rooftops and walking on water just doesn't do it for me.

5. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think 'Hero' is stunning in all aspects, and I personally prefer it to the 'House Of Flying Daggers'. The use of colour is sublime, and the performances are very moving. As for the 'flying' or 'walking on water', it's just meant to be a more elegant way of showing movement. If you saw the same scene and people were just running around, I don't think it would be as impressive? Just my opinion ofcourse :D

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Another question about it - what did Tarantino have to do with it? His name was splattered across the front of box but I looked for his name in the credits and it did not appear.

7. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think Tarantino just endorsed it. He was not involved in the making of it as I'm aware, but it was released by Miramax which he is heavily involved with. Miramax presumably thought Tarantino's name behind a foreign film would boost its chances of success

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I liked the machivelian plot of daggers. Very good. I bought a copy on region 3 but def worth a rent.

Cap :)

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I loved cthd, Hero and hofd and I'm glad I have them in my collection but if your looking for something less fantastical and more gritty try:-

Azumi (already mentioned above)
    Musa the warrior
    Sword in the moon
    Fighter In the wind
    Ong-Bak (no sub though)
    Twilight Samurai (short on action but sucked me in completely)

Others similar to Hero (more fantastical)that I recomend are:-

Arahan
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Volcano High
    Shaolin Soccer
    Running on Karma
    The storm Riders
    Bichunmoo
    Iron Monkey.

I love the many genre's Asian cinema offers. It has a refreshing flavour to me and in a lot of cases is far superior to what hollywood has been offering us recently;)

10. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Hero is awesome. The Colors aren't tacky but displays the capabilties of your dvd/Plasma/TV to the max. It also brings out the beautifull landscapes this film was shot in. I prefer Hero to House of flying daggers altough HOFD is also a very good film. I have both versions in region three with DTS-ES 6.1 and I think they are excellent films to show off the capabilities of your system.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I won't buy any DVD anymore unless it's first and foremost for the film. There are lot's of good films (by my own standards of course ;) ) that also make good demo material, so no point in wasting money on "show-off-only material".

That said I really like CTHD (have the DVD), Hero is ok (probably won't buy the DVD though) but I didn't like HOFD at all (never will buy the DVD).

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hero was good, and the use of colours was very well implemented as it represents each 'view' upon how a certain event took place. A lot better than most of the mindless american crap Hollywood produces each year.

13. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I bought a copy and whilst I found the film enjoyable I wasn't as blow away with the PQ as I thought I would be. Transfer was slightly grainy in my opinion albeit the use of colour was impressive.

14. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
  15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I watched it last night and was quite disappointed with it. I think it's because I was expecting an action film so I just found it to be far too slow for me. I will say that it's incredibly well shot though - just not what I was looking forward to watching last night.

16. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from the excellent picture and sound quality, Hero is one of the worst films ive ever seen. I could'nt believe what I was seeing. Far too much hovering, flying, running on water etc - what's all that about?!?!

Normally, if a film has such good picture and sound, I will sit through it no matter how bad... but this! Had to switch it off about 2/3 through!

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Did we see the same movie? :eek: I take it you didn't like Crouching Tiger then. Imo, not only did the film have a great storyline which kept you in suspense until the end but the cinematography was gorgeous, some of the best I've seen in a long time.

If it's not your type of movie then fair enough, but worst movie ever?!?!? I can think of plenty of other candidates...

18. Owain

Owain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ummm its supposed to be magic, well 'chi powers'

19. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: and suddenly I see... the best film ever made!

;) Yes I am aware there are powers involved in the film. I think it's just not my cuppa. I was going to buy Croutching Tiger but I think i'll give it a miss now.

20. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I was diisapointed by Hero aswell, I saw HOFD first and thought that that was amazing and a masterpiece and then I saw hero and I just thought it was a let down, the story was'nt as good and I did'nt find the action and fight asgood. Jet li was a let down aswell.

21. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found Hero very pretty but didn't particularly enjoy it - I feel CTHD portrayed the characters much better and really enjoyed that one. I was put off getting HOFD by Hero but may get it now.

I just felt Hero tried too hard to be stylish, it was more about the cinematography than the film itself. Much the same as Oceans 13 - which definitely tried to hard.

22. crunchman

crunchman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

dont you mean oceans twelve

23. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I thought Hero was a study of what a "hero" is?

So you also don't like Terminator, Star Wars, James Bond etc due to their lack of realism? :devil:

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    If you didn't like Hero then on the face of it you probably won't like CTHD either. However, imo the characterisation and story in CTHD is better than Hero. I just feel that if you don't watch it you'll be missing out on one of the great films of modern cinema.

25. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    d'oh! yes, that's how impressed I was with it, can't even be bothered to get the name right. Hero didn't make me feel I wanted my two hours back like this one, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as expected - maybe I believed the hype too much.

26. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Hero was an amazing film. However, I was hoping Donnie Yen was going to be in longer than he was.

27. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Exactly what I thought.
    Nothing special at all. Don't know what all the fuss was about.
    Very slow storyline and I'm bored of this flying through the air lark.
    That's it.

28. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have all three Terminator DVDs and think their great, but who does'nt? As for Star Wars... before my time. Never really got into it. Go on everyone, have a go :D

29. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    ok well these types of films are your cup of tea or not. I remember taking a mate to see cthd when it first came out and people were laughing at the jumping bits. But as it became popular people began to accept this genre. If hollywood films werent so ubiquitous around the world i bet people from the far east would laugh at our films as well. I think once you get over the jumpy bits or better still read a bit about the philosophy behind it you may enjoy it more.

As for the film watched in the cinema and was impressed but then again i'm a jet li fan so obviously biased. The story line was definitely top notch, but again thats subjective too.

30. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the three films (CTHD, Hero, HOFD) are just not suited to some people. Personally I find HOFD the best of the three, but I love all of them. For me they are some of the finest examples of foreign cinema about. The colours, the cinematography, sound, and of course stories.
    My wife can't stand them - why do they fly through trees she asks ? :suicide: