1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HERO - Just how gob-smackingly wonderful is this film?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dynamic turtle, Sep 23, 2004.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I really am totally lost for words at how stunning this film is. I went along to see it thinking it was just going to be another average Jet Li chop-socky affair - but it turned out to be one of the best films I've ever seen.

The film is set in china around 2000 years ago. It tells the story of the King of Qin province, and his battle to kill 3 powerful warriors (sent by the King of Zhao province to assinate him).

It is fairy tale and legend. The warriors are demi-gods with incredible power.

It is the most majestic, beautiful, sumptuous, engaging, thought-provoking, gripping and down-right stunning :eek: , film I've seen.

You'll hear it being compared to Crouching Tiger which could be justified, as it shares the same producer and similar production in terms of art, music & cinematography.

Tight script, engaging dialogue, superb acting......I would go on for fear of repeating myself, but you get the idea.

Just go & see it. Your life is a baren place without it.

DT

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Yeah my mates just got back from America raving about this film, looks like one I will be looking forward too :)

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    :smashin: Got mine on DVD yesterday, popped it in my dvd player to give it a quick look, and i have to say the picture quality is among the best i have ever seen, especially the autum fight scene where the oranges and reds are jaw dropping, and then there is the sound, DTS:ES omg :smashin: :cool: an essential, essential purchase. but no doubt it will look stunning on the big screen, so those of you with projectors, you lucky :censored: :censored:

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh yeah, the Snow Vs. Moon fight is a jaw-droper :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,411
    HI,

Yeh saw this last last year or early this year, cant remeber, on dvd, it is very cool. Shame it is likened by many to croughing tiger. I bet its wicked on the big screen (cinemas).

rai

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Word of warning:

The Chinese region3 versions seems to all suffer from a logo pop up every 5 mins when the english subtitles are engaged. The start and end title cards are not subtitled. The video levels on this disc look wrong to me on initial viewing : its been clipped and there may be some cadence problems and jitter.

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mr. D
    Bad luck the chinese release is very poor should of got the HK release.
    Superb filmfar better than the awful Crouching tiger. Cdwow have the Very good HK R3 2 dvd set in stock for £10.99 - well worth it :thumbsup:

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Whoa Captain,

CTHD is a stunning film in every regard. One of the best films ever, according to many polls. How can you like Hero, but not CT :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mr. D, is the China R3 version the same as the HK/Korea R3 version? Which one should I buy? I've seen a 3 DVD box-set knocking around on eBay. Is that one any good?

DT

9. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I agree entirely - it is an amazing film. The swweping vistas and intricate storyline are superb.

I love CTHD, but have to say that this one is even better.

Any recommendations for other Asian films that I should watch? (nothing with the words hot, wet, xxx or similar in the title please :devil: )

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IMO
    Crouching tiger had a really old seen it all before storyline and average fight scenes - Thats why it flopped in hk etc because the audiences found it to be old hat - which it was. The only reason it was a big hit in the west was because the average Western movie watcher had never seen any thing like it before :suicide:

As for the best version of Hero I would go with the R3 HK release by Edko Cdwow are selling this for £10.99 or less - There is a Japanese dvd that is also excellent BUT as usual with japanese dvds very expensive.
    Not sure on the korean release ??
    The R3 Chinese release should be avoided as its the worst version so far.
    Have a look at dvdbeaver.com they have a comparision review of Hero dvds

11. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As for other recommendations..... Theres the stunning korean movie 'Musa The Warrior' which is fantastic! Out on very good R3 HK dvd and extra packed R2 HK Legends dvd - NOTE both have only the international cut on them. A R4 release is due end of the year that will have the longer Directors cut. Review of the oop korean dvd here Gives you a good idea of the story etc.

12. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Or did it flop because the HK audiences were expecting OTT fight scenes and were instead presented with merely excellent fight scenes + a stunning film bolted on the side? You can't seriously be telling me that films with CTHD's cinematography and art direction are ten-a-penny in HK, 'cos I don't believe you.

Anyway, I'll check out this Musa film and buy the HK R3 version of Hero you recommend.

13. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seen hero today and i have to say it`s brill .The wait to see this movie has been worth it.
    The fights are the best so far,and i`ve watched alot of kung fu in my day.
    I was a little upset that donnie yen didn`t get a lot of time in the film as the fight between him and jet li brings me back too once upon a time in china 2 where the two last fought.
    I wonder how the next film will do in the cinema .As house of a thousand daggers looks even better.
    It`s kind of funny how hong kong films have done a u-turn in style as in the 70`s the same flyin in the air martial arts was looked apon as rubbish and laughable ,and the came along bruce lee to bring it back to hand to hand and now we see wire fu where people can fly on water etc.
    I wonder in a few years were this type of style runs out ,will it go back to hand to hand combat as seen in the bruce lee style.

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Glad you have all finally found this great film. I've had my copy of the dvd for well over a year but will definately check it out at the cinems too. Has the UK release been dubbed or is it subtitled?
    If it is dubbed I hope they've made a good job of it or it'll totally ruin the whole experience. Would prefer just to have subs tbh.

15. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    All the cinemas that are showing Hero, in my area at least, have a warning that the film is subtitled.

I've got the dvd but this is a film that is needed to be seen on the big screen.

Now I wonder if they'll screen it at an IMAX.

16. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    dynamic turtle wrote..
    Err ok heres a few of many many films...
    Chinese ghost story 1+2
    Once upon a time in China 1+2
    Butterfly murders
    Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain
    Iron monkey
    Swordsman 1+2+3
    Many Many Shaw brothers classics
    etc etc.

17. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Saw this in the cinema yesterday, probably the most visually stunning film I've seen. The story works well too as a 'non-linear' plot. I've got one small gripe with it though:

****SPOILER****

OK, I know it's fiction but I find the idea that anyone living in those separate kingdoms would have had a concept of Chinese national identity hard to believe. China as a country didn't exist then. If you look at say British history then after countries are unified either by conquest or agreement, any collective national identity comes much later, if at all. I thought that this lended a very unsubtle 'nationalism' to the story which somewhat tainted the film. I suppose it's no worse than some of the things Hollywood does with history though.

18. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There aren't all that many films with cinematography as beautiful as crouching tiger Hidden Dragon however the choreography isn't particularly that special and I find them to be over the top, not in a good way.

Hero just blows away crouching tiger in my opinion on every level especially cinematography and martial-arts choreography. While still being over the top, having such stunning martial artists as Jet Li and Donnie Yen on board makes all the difference.

If you enjoyed hero or crouching tiger you should try iron monkey and I recommend a you go for the Hong Kong legends Platinum Edition with DTS sound, and a disc full of extras.

19. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went to see this yesterday with high hopes but i found the film boring thank god it was only on for 90mins
    i have seen cthd and had liked it so was shocked by this poor film
    i think i will stick to good films like iron monkey and stay away from this art house type film (and not listen to captaineyecatch anymore ;) )

20. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I Agree with derekcross, ive seen loads of chinese and hong kong movies and i found this one so boring. was pleased when it ended !

21. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well i hated CTHD - it had a mind numbingly dull plot. Hero was actually superb with a excellent plot that had u guessing which story was the truth.
    But it must be said this is quite an 'Arty' movie so alot wont like it.

22. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a big fan of HK cinema and I saw the film 2 years ago. Yes its a fantastic film and to be honest- HK have been knocking out some absolute crackers for quite a while now! Its a shame Hero has been cut for Western audiences (about seventeen minutes I believe) but that's Miram"axe" for you.

I know its wrong but I feel slightly Pisse* off that western audiences are jumping on the Hero bandwagon now. Remember this film ONLY got released in the "west" because of a lot of campaigning from HK film fans and Quentin Tarantino. Miramax have a history of buying up rights to the best Hong Kong films, only to cut them to shreds and then send them to Disney to dub over before releasing them over here. Hero had been in Miramax vaults for two years before Tarantino battled with them to release it. In the end- Miramax would only release it if they added Tarantino's name to the film (even though he had nothing to do with it). As you can see- its worked and we finally get to enjoy the masterpiece, albeit a couple of years late...

Hero itself was a very controversial film in HK due to the fact its the first film of its kind to show the Emporer in a "good" light. Apparently every other film (and history to a point) portrays him almost as bad as Hitler...

Finally (rant's almost over I promise) If you liked Hero- be sure to check out "Infernal Affairs" - not only one of the best crime thrillers HK have made but probably the best HK film since Hero. At least check it out before Hollywood do their remake (Martin Scorcese is directing and Brad Pitt is in one of the lead roles). It got a cinema release over here and a great DVD release as well. Parts 2 and 3 are already out on DVD in HK and they are likely to both get a small cinema release over here in the new year.

23. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked this up as soon as it was released on DVD in HK, must be at least 18 months ago, as I never got the chance to see it on the big screen.

I love it, dramatic, stunning visuals, interesting perspective on the retelling of the stories, and the colour shifts used for each. Arty, yes it is, but it's a fantastic movie. I was very surprised to see it's being shown outside of HK/China though especially un dubbed as this would restrict the audience.

I may go and see it at a cinema now it's released in the west, but only if it's uncut and with the original dialogue etc.

24. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Personally, I'm glad it is subtitled. I know it can be difficult to read them whilst trying to concentrate on the action, but chinese is an interesting language and quite easy on the ear!

It's a real shame that some of you said it was boring. I'm guessing you've seen the "long" version of the film via dvd. The UK cinema version has plenty of dialogue, but "boring"? No!

I'm not surprised to hear Miramax/Disney tried to keep it (and many other excellent far east films) under wraps. Films like this can only undermine their own efforts.

The same applies to Miyazake's films (which I believe M/D own the western distribution rights too.), which **** on disney's from a great height (non-pixar disney, I hasten to add :) )

I've also been really surprised the number of average reviews in the general media. Completely shocking!

DT

25. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My friend you have your facts wrong! Hero was not cut for the Western releases, in fact it was at Quentin Tarantino's insistence that the film remains in the format it was intended (uncut and subtitled/not dubbed). I think the 17 minutes you're referring to is from the new director's cut version which was not part of the original version.

I think it's a testament to Quentin Tarantino that he is getting these Asian films released in the Western markets at all. If it wasn't for him Hero would still be in Miramax's vault before it would be eventually dubbed into English, probably then given a limited release at the cinemas. As it happened having Quentin Tarantino's name attached to the film and a fair-sized marketing campaign including a TV special hosted by Quentin Tarantino and Jet Li, no doubt amongst other things, has propelled Hero to the US No. 1. I say better late than never and although I think Hero is a top film without Q T it woudn't have done half as well when it would have eventually been released. It just goes to show you what a good marketing campaign can do for a good film.

26. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    sorry for the band wagon jumping!

I heard about this for the first time about 2 months ago. finally got it yesterday (edko HK release) it was jaw droppingly wonderful. the full bit rate DTS-ES soundtrack is a killer (so many highlights i cant list them all), i sat rooted to the sofa for the whole 98 mins. its the only film (on DVD) in a long time to make me and my wife shut up for the whole length of it.

all in all ten out of ten, stunning, superb, wonderful, beautiful, magical. its one of those films that makes you glad you spent all your money on a really good HC!!

Gary

27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Whats that new film called that looks amazing?

Something like heaven and earth or something like that.

Looks very much in the same vein as these films.

28. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  29. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Does any one think this is better than Crouching Tiger?

Me and my brother have been having a debate on this for a couple of months.

Any views?

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i'd vote for Hero.

Gary