1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hero finally gets a US release / Jet Li's HERO

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ndenbow, Aug 4, 2004.

1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I think this is just about to be released into US cinema's (presumably after a dubbed English audio track). I am POSITIVE I have seen this available on Region 3 somewhere (Cd-WOW?). Can't find it any longer.

Anyone help me out?

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Its been out on DVD (at least region 3) for ages. I think there was a directors cut or something coming out soon? Hence why CD-Wow doesn't have it - they don't tend to list out of stock items.

3. 4bondy

4bondy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two or three versions available...Korean or Japanese cuts with english subtitles and a deluxe version.
    If you trawl through the dvd review section of the home cinema choice section you'll get to the review which will lead you to the shop that supplied it.
    I think the shop's called disc emporium or something... it's based in Knebworth Hertfordshire...

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest news i have read is that the extended edition will only be 108 minutes long which doesnt add a whole lot of footage ( i might be wrong but until i know for sure i'll stick with my Hong Kong version with its Full 1509kb/s DTS track which is the best sounding DVD i have ever heard as far as its use of rear split surrounds goes )

6. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dont bother with the Extended edition thats just come out in China - its very poor quality and has an on screen logo poping up ever few mins if you watch with Eng subs on.
    There a comparison reviews of the HK, China, Japan, China extended at dvdbeaver (Complete with Screen caps of each version) Here

7. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Foxy Mulder - Where did you buy your copy?

Thanks for the responses guys.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i might have bought mine from CD Wow but not sure it was a while ago and i use loads of different suppliers, i remember i also looked at Korean DVDs so it was either them or CD Wow but i imagine places like The Disc Emporium still sell it.

9. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I got my copy from CD Wow about 2 weeks ago? Excellent film, a must have, better than crouching tiger IMO.

10. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
  11. IAN

IAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know if the extras on the Korean release have English subs?

12. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Ian

Unfortunately all the extras are for Mandarin and Korean speaker only of which I have a few in my family.

13. IAN

IAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dellboy-think I'll just stick to one of the barebones releases then

14. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just watched this movie tonight and I must say I liked it. The fight scenes were a bit overdone, but the plot twisted so many times in such unexpected ways... something which is rarely seen these days in western flicks.

Pity the copy I have doesn't have at least subtitles... My roommates would love to see this but they don't do this whole Mandarin thing. Does anyone have any ETA on a region 1 DVD?

15. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of the new Chinese director's cut versions of which there are three I have purchased two of them (one as a gift). I've got the standard extended and the special extended editions (which is the middle and the most expensive of the three). I have only watched the first minute or so but there is this annoying little blue and red logo in the top left corner that comes on for a few seconds at the beginning of the film then vanishes. I have no idea if it reappears again later or not.

The DTS soundtrack is 5.1 and only half Bit rate.

The packaging of the standard extended edition has an extremely and pointlessly heavy backing which makes the postage and packing very expensive. Also all of the menus in this edition are in Chinese.

Both Standard extended edition and special extended edition packaging looks extremely nice.

The special extended edition comes with a nice little photo book but is also full of Chinese writing, an English translation would be nice. The Little Book is of quite high quality but as I said it's a shame it's not in English. This edition has dual language menus (by the way both menus look completely different to one another) to help navigate the DVD unlike the standard Extended Edition.

The standard extended edition doesn't have a separate book but does have a photo book attached to the cover of the packaging again with some nice photos from the film.

Both versions have visually pleasing packaging but are not practical. Both sets DVDs come in a little plastic bag with a circular slip of paper to help prevent the discs getting scratched. The DVD in the bag then slips into the case. The special extended edition which has a large brown box case kind of opens like a book. Inside is a very nice felt like cloth, in brown like the case.

Both versions lack the translation of the introduction at the beginning of the film.

If you don't already own Hero and are not multi-region one of these editions might be for you?

both versions extras are not subtitled in English

Overall I'm not too sure it's worth the upgrade if you already have it. If I were you I would probably wait for another country to release the director's cut. I can't recall the exact figures but the postage and packing cost more than the films!

16. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    That logo on the EE appears every 10 minutes or so one of the reasons I cancelled my order, I will just hang onto my two disc full bit rate DTS one for the moment I am sure a HK or Korean version will appear soon.

17. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately I pre-ordered my copies. If I had known I would have cancelled mine to. To me it seems like a stupid thing to do as less people will inevitably choose to purchase this version from China.

18. Pioneer

Pioneer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the best Asian movies made it into the number 1 spot on the US top ten this weekend. Fitting place for such a great film.
    Wonder if it will get a UK release?

If you have not seen it, then get across to any Asian DVD site and buy the R3 Ultimate Hero SE DVD, you will not be dissapointed. The DTS sound and PQ are fantastic.

19. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's visually stunning but much slower and the fighting scenes are more 'traditional' (i.e. more exaggerated).
    If you didn't like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon than Hero is probably not the movie for you ...

20. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    WOW, ive had that DVD for months now. It came out in Japan on DVD (with a rather nice box) DTS way back in march or april!
    It is a good film with amazing visuals and an interesting chinese story!

21. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    24th September for UK cinemas.

22. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Looks like this will get a cinema release later this year. http://www.cineworld.co.uk have it listed as coming soon.

Thanks for all the replies. the DVD Beaver site is superb.

23. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's official, hero is a US box-office number-one.

It's quite surprising it has done that well considering how many DVD copies there must be out there already