1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HERO by Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dragonfly, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I get my films from Canada,I got Hero about a week ago but due to my work I have been unable to watch it untill last night.
    Its a typical Quentin Tarantino film,even if you are not a martial art fan, this is a film made in heven for projector owners.the colourful scenes brought the best out of my projector.
    If you need to show off your PJ to your friends this is a film for you.

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hero is a fantastic visual treat, but has nothing to do with Quentin Tarantino, if anything he's been "borrowing" ideas from asian cinema from the beginning (Resevoir Dogs was a straight ripp off of City on Fire.

But this is a chinese film that QT can only dream off making.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What actually is QT's connection to this film, i noticed on the film poster when it was out it had his name on, was this just a ploy to get more people to go see it or did he have a genuine important connection to the piece?

Nick

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    as far as i know he has no connection with HERO, Miramax (funders of kill bill) own the rights to HERO in North America.

his name is used just get people through the door. i'm pleased to have a copy of film wihout his name all over it. :D

Gary

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    yep, it is just his endorsment of the material that connects him to it.

6. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason his name is connected with hero is because Miramax wanted to cut and dub the film for the American audiences! He fought them to keep the film as it was made and won, however, in a marketing ploy his name was used to promote the film. This was a triumphant success and even saw him and Jet Li on a special promotional TV show to help the film.

I think Tarantino did a huge favour for martial-arts cinema because without his endorsement hero wouldn't have been promoted nowhere near as much as it was and wouldn't have become a US number-one box-office hit. Sure the film deserves to be successful but it wouldn't have been without him. Whatever you think of Tarantino without him Hero would have gone unnoticed in the UK and US, Dubbed and cut at that!

Does anybody know about Tarantino's next movie? Apparently he is supposed to be making a martial-arts movie in China because inglorious bastards has been put back to 2006. Very little is known about this movie and supposedly it is going to be filmed in Mandarin/Cantonese (I'm unsure which)!

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I read somewhere (think it was total film) that he's gonna do a dubbed version but make the dialogue deliberately out of sync so it gives it that retro feel of old martial arts movies. Creative genious or geniarse, you decide.

8. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so he's going to do deliberately, and probably expensively, what 70's dubbers did out of haste and ineptitude? hmmm....

it's been done before anyway, by Woody Allen and of course the black guy in Police Academy!
    i do like tarantino's movies though.