Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Here's why the AVR300 'pops'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by liteswap, Sep 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tech support at Arcam have just kindly emailed me a explanation as to why the AVR300 'pops' between 87-88dB volume settings (it was between 84-85 before I upgraded to the new software, v2.90):

------------<snip>------------
    The slight noise you heard when changing volume at highish levels is related to our hardware design. At high levels we switch in a "gain ranger" so that the residual background noise at lower listening levels is reduced - this is done entirely for reasons of sound quality and is one of several reasons why we can subjectively outperform the competition.

The switching of the gain ranger into the system can be heard as a slight discontinuity when operating the volume control at 84-85dB but it does not of course impinge on the sound except at the instant of changing volume between those levels.
    ------------<snip>------------

So, now we know.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    It's nice to hear there was a genuine reason for this apparent glitch with the unit. I have to say it never really bothered me as I very rarely have it up at 85dB and even when I do it only makes a noise at the instant of changing volume.

3. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well quite so. It's not worth making a huge song and dance about -- how often do you hear it in normal use? It doesn't affect real-world listening even if you do listen at such volumes.