1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's what I need a DVD recorder for - Is this a good unit for my needs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve237, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi people,

I've decided to buy a DVD Recorder and thought I'd ask the experts on here if they think I've made the right choice.

Here's some info as to what I'm going to use the DVD Recorder for:

I'll be using it to record from the following sources:

- Sky+ (To record stuff from the Sky+ hard drive to DVD for archive)
    - Sony MiniDV handycam (to enable me to burn DVD's from DV tape)
    - Occasional VHS back-up (although unlikely I'll ever actually do this)
    - Audio from my DJ mixer or amplifier (again, not really too important, but an added bonus if it's got it)

This is going to be my main DVD player and I'd like to to play Region 1 DVD's as well us the UK region.

I have a Phillips 28" widescreen TV.

I really like the look of the Sony RDR-GX700, and I don't really want to spend much more than £300. Is this a good choice?

Also, my friend bought a phillips DVD recorder (I'll find out which model) and he sent it back saying the technology isn't very good yet and his recordings were blocky - is there any truth in this??

Many thanks for any replies! I'd like to pick one of these up at the weekend...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    If you get a Philips yes :) if you get virtually any other model then no. For good or bad Philips have aimed their DVD recorders at the very bottom of the market. Avoid.

As to your other issues/questions have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature. Hopefully it will answer any general issues/questions you have.

The Sony GX700 is a good DVD recorder and will do what you want. However so will other models such as the Panasonic E65 or Pioneer 320. The former in particular offers better recording quality than the Sony (especially at lengths over 2hrs), better editting facilities and better connectivity.

Note that if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players then you will need a HDD/DVDR combi - for that you would need to stretch the budget to £350ish for a machine such as the Toshiba RDXS32.

3. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the excellent response, Rasczak.

I will check the "Which" link.

On the subject of playing edited videos on other players, let me ask you this: Are the editing facilities on a typical DVD player useful and can you do quite a lot of things with it, or is it easier to just do it on the PC, transfer back to DV tape and take the camcorder downstairs and plug and burn?

Another point; a DVD recorder with the abolity to play Divx files would be very useful.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    DVD recorders can do a good job at editting - although as I say if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players then you will need a HDD/DVDR combi.

Aren't any decent brands yet. KISS may do one now or in the future but they are hardly the best for quality.