Here's a cheap way of connecting a console to your WLAN

ScottyToo

A couple of months ago I was looking for a cheap way of getting my PS2 connected to my WAP. It seems stupid but all I could see were Wireless Ethernet Bridges that cost more than some WAPs. Fortunately a new product was released in Feb which seemed to fit the bill.
I've now been using it for a month and can't fault it. It's called the Asus WL-330. Not only is it an adaptor but it can also work as a WAP (802.11b) if you want. The kit you get is impressive. It includes the WAP which is extemely light, a power adaptor, a USB power supply (saves on a plug when using it with a USB piece of kit), a nice very short ethernet cable and a carry case/pouch for it all.

29894023-5369-02000180-.jpg

The browser interface is easy to use and it comes with a CD but I haven't bothered to even look on it. I simply connected it to my pc (which I configured to be 192.168.1.2), ensured the WL-330 was in adaptor mode and not WAP mode (a slide switch on the bottom) and then in my browser went to http:\\192.168.1.1

This brought up the config page. I simply told it the name of my WLAN, typed in my 128bit WEP encrption key and saved it.

I then took it down to my PS2, plugged in the ethernet cable, plugged the power lead into a USB port on the front of the PS2 and powered the PS2 up. I loaded up MOH Rising Sun and it worked on-line straight away!!

The picture above makes it look a lot bigger than it is so here's one to give you some scale :

29894047-3ecf-02000180-.jpg

The cost inc p&p was £36 inc VAT and p&p. Even though I am only using it as a ethernet/wireless convertor and I'm not using it as a WAP, I still think it's great value and it take up virtually no room behind the PS2 & TV.

Can you tell I'm pleased with it? :rolleyes: :D

Ooops nearly forgot. Here's where you can order from :
http://www.spd.co.uk/product.asp?sku=287&dept_id=26

p.s. I have no connection with the manufacturer or supplier other than being a really happy customer. :smashin:

Desticado

will this work with X-Box?

I run a router/wireless lan in my house already and would like to be able to connect the X-Box into it without having to run any cabling downstairs.

Thanks.

ScottyToo

Absolutely. This device simply takes any Ethernet IP based traffic and sends/receives with your WAP.

If you want to remove a cable then this is a cheap way of doing it.

S

Stevey

It costs £23.50 What moron payed £12.50 postage or has it gone down more?

Messiah

Originally posted by Stevey
It costs £23.50 What moron payed £12.50 postage or has it gone down more?

No one. But I think some 'moron' forgot to include the VAT ;)

AOD

Just a tip for anybody setting up one of these with an existing wireless network, if you're using WEP security (which you should be :)), the setup wizard doesn't handle ASCII WEP keys properly. Enter the key as a HEX value and you'll be fine.

I was on the verge of sending mine back until I tried this and found that it works a treat. Oh yeah, and before you start using it in anger you may want to upgrade the firmware as well.

bellso

Am struggling with this!!

Bought about a month ago and keep coming back to play with but cant get to work.

Have a Netgear 834g wireless router, can get onto network on my P2 when using ethernet cable, but cant with the ASUS.

My PC is connected via a belkin wireless card, so i cant plug the Asus directly into pc to configure it, if i plug into Netgear, i can do a search and see it with the asus software [not the webscreen settings though, wont connect to 192.168.1.1] and set up my wireless ssid and wep settings, take up to my P2 and try connect, nothing.

Can someone point me in he right direction before i throw it out of the window!!

Cheers

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom