1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's a cheap way of connecting a console to your WLAN

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ScottyToo, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A couple of months ago I was looking for a cheap way of getting my PS2 connected to my WAP. It seems stupid but all I could see were Wireless Ethernet Bridges that cost more than some WAPs. Fortunately a new product was released in Feb which seemed to fit the bill.
    I've now been using it for a month and can't fault it. It's called the Asus WL-330. Not only is it an adaptor but it can also work as a WAP (802.11b) if you want. The kit you get is impressive. It includes the WAP which is extemely light, a power adaptor, a USB power supply (saves on a plug when using it with a USB piece of kit), a nice very short ethernet cable and a carry case/pouch for it all.

[​IMG]
    The browser interface is easy to use and it comes with a CD but I haven't bothered to even look on it. I simply connected it to my pc (which I configured to be 192.168.1.2), ensured the WL-330 was in adaptor mode and not WAP mode (a slide switch on the bottom) and then in my browser went to http:\\192.168.1.1

This brought up the config page. I simply told it the name of my WLAN, typed in my 128bit WEP encrption key and saved it.

I then took it down to my PS2, plugged in the ethernet cable, plugged the power lead into a USB port on the front of the PS2 and powered the PS2 up. I loaded up MOH Rising Sun and it worked on-line straight away!!

The picture above makes it look a lot bigger than it is so here's one to give you some scale :

[​IMG]

The cost inc p&p was £36 inc VAT and p&p. Even though I am only using it as a ethernet/wireless convertor and I'm not using it as a WAP, I still think it's great value and it take up virtually no room behind the PS2 & TV.

Can you tell I'm pleased with it? :rolleyes: :D

Ooops nearly forgot. Here's where you can order from :
    http://www.spd.co.uk/product.asp?sku=287&dept_id=26

p.s. I have no connection with the manufacturer or supplier other than being a really happy customer. :smashin:

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Cool post ScottyToo. Thanks for the great info.

cheers,
    Rob.

3. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nice one scotty

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    will this work with X-Box?

I run a router/wireless lan in my house already and would like to be able to connect the X-Box into it without having to run any cabling downstairs.

Thanks.

5. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Absolutely. This device simply takes any Ethernet IP based traffic and sends/receives with your WAP.

If you want to remove a cable then this is a cheap way of doing it.

6. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It costs £23.50 What moron payed £12.50 postage or has it gone down more?

7. mag01

mag01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No one. But I think some 'moron' forgot to include the VAT ;)

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a tip for anybody setting up one of these with an existing wireless network, if you're using WEP security (which you should be :)), the setup wizard doesn't handle ASCII WEP keys properly. Enter the key as a HEX value and you'll be fine.

I was on the verge of sending mine back until I tried this and found that it works a treat. Oh yeah, and before you start using it in anger you may want to upgrade the firmware as well.

10. bellso

bellso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Am struggling with this!!

Bought about a month ago and keep coming back to play with but cant get to work.

Have a Netgear 834g wireless router, can get onto network on my P2 when using ethernet cable, but cant with the ASUS.

My PC is connected via a belkin wireless card, so i cant plug the Asus directly into pc to configure it, if i plug into Netgear, i can do a search and see it with the asus software [not the webscreen settings though, wont connect to 192.168.1.1] and set up my wireless ssid and wep settings, take up to my P2 and try connect, nothing.

Can someone point me in he right direction before i throw it out of the window!!

Cheers

Chris