Hereditary Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,695
    2. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,530
      Thanks for the review Cas,went for the US UHD,i think you're scoring on the is about right,a good solid 7 here :)

3. Andy3105

Andy3105

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +257
      Saw this in the cinema, wow was I disappointed in it, absolutely not at all scary and there were times when I was laughing as if it was a comedy (I wasn't alone either)....

4. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,052
      Fantastic film and one of my favourites this year. Story, acting, sound design, lighting and imagery combine to make this genuinely special, including one of the most horrifying moments I've seen in recent years (
      Collette finding out off camera that her daughter was decapitated and hearing her anguish
      . That right there is true 'horror'.

Whichever idiot journalist thought it was a good idea to use the 'Exorcist' comparison ought to be strung up. All its done is invite false comparisons and trigger oh-so-brave filmgoers into announcing to all an sundry how its 'not very scary'. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
      • List
    5. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      Have to agree with you down the line. Apart from a couple of effective jumps and 'that' scene with the daughter, it was just an overlong procession of not only predictable but flagged up clichés. You don't have to have seen many horror films of this genre to get this one down off pat. A lost in all senses Gabriel Byrne, Toni Collette going into Wrought-Drive and at the screening I saw it also drew repeated laughter. The final scene, the dénouement, drew catcalls. But kudos to the amazingly talented Milly Shapiro, who plays the daughter.

6. Sir Oled

Sir Oled

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +218
      I strongly agree with your opinion yes indeed one of the strong release which overflows the genre.
      Major theme is grieve ... a pity we are surrounded by ....:rolleyes: maybe another round of bad boys will satisfy their needs;)

7. carlosv1

carlosv1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30
      I saw this with my wife and members of her family in the cinema. I didn't find it scary at all and by the end of the film the whole cinema was laughing at it and talking amongst themselves.
      There is one shock , not scare in it.
      I've read various explanations for parts of the film post watch but although these make sense the actual film started slow and ended ridiculously.

Interesting to see how many similar experiences of audience laughter during this film.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2018
    8. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      For professional reasons I saw it twice, the second time with a German audience. Never let it be said that the Germans do not have a sense of humour: they laughed at it as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    9. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,808
      I was hoping this would live up to its proud boast of being "this generation's The Exorcist", but it really doesn't, it's a completely different kind of film.

It's a good film and I'd agree that it's a solid 7/10.
      Loved the sound design and there's one moment that lasts less than one second that makes having rear speakers worthwhile, made me jump out of my skin. (Not literally. That would be horrible).

PQ is excellent too and Toni Collette is excellent.

Hated the (unnecessary) end bit which seemed tacked on to explain things to people who have the attention span of a goldfish.

10. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +223
      Got off to a cracking start, then at least an hour, possibly more, of stark boredom, then some giant 'wave-it-in-your-face' not-as-subtle-as-it-needed-to-be 'what's really going' on expositional moments, then half an hour of irritating 'no-one believes her' tropes, then an unnecessary 'in case you didn't get it, this is what was really going on' ending.

I think the hype for this film was unjustified in every respect. Predictable to any horror fan and just plain dull throughout.

Agree with previous poster – sound design deserves an Oscar. Was watching in 7.2.6 and wow... when the sound wants to freak you out it's quite capable of doing so.

Very few horror flicks offer anything surprising or different these days (It Follows and Cabin In The Woods would be a couple of examples of that), but this has been billed as unique and groundbreaking by its hype and its reviews. It's neither. It's bog-standard fare in most respects.

I didn't like mother! all that much either, but at least when that film was billed as both shocking and bats**t crazy, it delivered and then some.

11. derekhansen

derekhansen

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +154
      I thought this was excellent despite a slightly weak ending. The acting in particular was superb, which is rare in supernatural/horror movies. Toni Collette was outstanding. Sound design was very good and I didn’t need more Friday the 13th type jump scares.
      To me the principle theme of the story is grief and how an evil entity uses that grief to achieve its ends. I thought this was quite an original idea and it was done convincingly
      As said before sound design was very good indeed. I also thought the device of making the ‘real world ‘ sets look like the model sets and vice versa was particularly well handled. 8/10 for me. Higher if I had liked the ending more.

12. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +137
      I thought this was "ok". Personally didn't understand how this was so highly rated everywhere but Ty West has made this film twice before with hardle a whimper.