Here we go again Aspect ratios

C

cine

Hi All

Remember the first days of DVD seem a long time ago now.

Well the first year was we had many DVD's mark in the wrong aspect ratio on packaging well its all starting again.

Got my first UMD it donnie darko a free one from Play.com that can with the PSP order. Played the movie and what do we have here black bars top and bottom and what does the back of the box state 16:9, I don't think so its 2.35:1. Why can't they get there info right I hope this is not going to happen with a lot of movies.

So don't take what you read on the box get it confirmed first.

Mike

"Yawn".

It probably is 16x9. That's a video signal ratio (or more properly intended display ratio) of 16x9. Video signals only come in two shapes. 4x3 and 16x9.

Content is another matter, of course.

Hi This is 2.35:1 that why it does not fill the psp screen and has blank bars top and bottom.

There are 3 common ratio 4:3 , 16:9 often called letterbox that can be anamorphic or flat and full widescreen cinema scope 2.35:1. Most films are shot at 2.35:1 and are transfered to masters that way there are a few that are reframed at 16x9 for DVD and broadcast.

How do I know I work in the film business and it my job to oversee film to video mastering transfers for the last 8 years.

It just a shame that they did not check the D1 master tape to check the aspect before that do the box artwork.

Mike

"yawn" again.

Note the distinction between

a) the intended aspect ratio for display of the video signal recorded on the disc, which is always exactly either 4x3 or 16x9. Because that's what shape all TV (etc) screens are.

and

b) the aspect ratio of the original source.

If there is a mismatch, as there always is with 22x9 films (say) then the spare height of the video signal is populated with plain black, as part of the mastering process.

The video signal consists, in such a case, of the original material, plus some black bars. The whole video signal (including these black bars) is (in the case in point) 16x9 and does exactly (well, more or less) fill the 16x9 screen.

Hence, the packaging is arguably correct.

I do agree, though, that, as with DVD before it, an "industry standard" method of describing the contents would have been preferable.

What it needs to state, for us to be fully informed, are two things:

a) the intended AR of the encoded video signal - I don't care which terms are used, so long as they unambiguously make the distinction between 4x3 and 16x9. The word "anamorphic" is used by some, and "enhanced for widescreen TVs" by others to describe 16x9 video. There is no similar term (except the absence of either of these, which isn't exactly definitive) to describe a 4x3 video signal.

b) the AR used in the transfer of the source, which can be pretty much anything.

Such as (examples):
Aspect ratios: Content 22x9; Video signal 16x9.
Aspect ratios: Content 22x9; Video signal 4x3.
Aspect ratios: Content 16x9; Video signal 16x9.
Aspect ratios: Content 4x3; Video signal 4x3.
etc.

Pointless thread...

Practically all dvds out these days are 2.35:1\1.85:1

And practically everyone knows that 2.35 will have black bars even on a 16:9 display - Yes your PSP is 16:9 just like a widescreen TV.

So I really don't know what your on about, the box on 99.9% of DVDs perfectly explains the aspect ratio of the disc.

Use your head :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom