Here is pic of my set up. Can you guys give me advice on a few things please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by tony kop77, Nov 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Here is my set up http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01150sh.jpg My Philips 9830 is arriving in a few weeks should I place it on the glass unit or attach it to the wall? The wires are a bit messy can you suggest best thing I can do to hide them please.

Another thing my Kef speakers are fine but quite often they slacken and start to slope downwards should I buy some stands or leave it as they are?

I might move the wardrobe to the other room and move the left and right speakers further in the corner. What do you think? http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01262dh.jpg

My back speakers and dvd rack http://img320.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01317bn.jpg

Placement of my sub http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01291pb.jpg
    So as I said would you suggest I lose the glass tv unit and attach my new Philips when it arrives to the wall lose the wardrobe if pos and move the speakers further into the corner or place the Philips on the glass unit and leave it as it is? Thanks for your help guys.

2. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My advice would be to get the Kef stands - I have the earlier version of the kefs (the 2005.1) and have all the surround speakers on stands - the centre is currently on top of my CRT TV - but will be moved to an AV rack when I get my new LCD.

The stands have built in cable management and look really neat and tidy - you could hide the speaker cable under you carpet - would give you a much cleaner look.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    How much are the stands? I did not buy the stands when I bought them because the AV rack is in the way and I dont have room for them but with the LCD coming I can use that as a PC monitor get rid of the PC set up in my room move wardrobe to another room or left hand side of the room which will allow me to move the AV rack to where the wardrobe is and place the speakers on the stand.

4. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I paid £65 for each pair from Sevenoaks in Hove. However that was at £15 discount because I bought an expensive scart and LOTS of QED Silver anniversary speaker cable and interconnects... so to cut a long story short they are £80 a pair but you can barter!
    TBH they are pretty basic stands (some sprayed tubing with weighted base) but they look pretty good when set-up - very simple and clean.

5. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Crazzy - I have gently suggested this to you before, you won't be able to get far enough away from the 32pf9830 to enjoy the picture - under 8 feet and the PQ is terrible (I'm not kidding here) I was really disappointed and you will be too. I know the reviews of the TV are fantastic - the reality is rather less than inspiring.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I can get a distance of around 7ft though that would be enough. The only other two LCD's i was considering was the Panasonic 500 and Hitachi 7200. The 360 should still look good on the Philips though still unsure if I should place the LCd on the wall or not.

7. peebee01

peebee01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the look of your setup I guess you're single, right :thumbsup:

Not sure what's wrong with cosmicblue, but he seems to be on a crusade against the 9830 in a couple of threads here. I've got the 32" now for two weeks and with the right (digital) source, it's by far the best 32" LCD tv available, also at 7 ft.

8. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As the Xbox 360 outputs 720p I would imagine it will look good from any distance... the LCD's I have seen only look rubbish close up with SD material - HD seems good from all distances.
    As for wall mounting - its meant to be a tricky task - I am sticking with placing the TV on an AV rack... I get nervous with the idea of my wall supporting 30kg of TV :eek:

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I am single yes. I can understand cosmicblue point. I have not seen many LCD's in stores but it seems to me the really good LCD's can produce such a high standard of picture so when you are watching dvd films you can see everything as if it was a painting because of the high level picture quality.
    Unfortuanlty if you are watching a dvd with poor picture, or grainy images etc these tvs are going to pick it up but that is not the fault of the tv it's the source of where the picture came from which is to blame.

10. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    If I dont mount it on the wall I would say I will be about 6ft from the screen. It is not important mounting it on the wall just looks nice and gets rid of the tv unit. I live at home with parents so not sure if mum would allow me to move the wardrobe in the spare room in place of one of her old wardrobes lol though she would allow me to get rid of this wardrobe and chuck all my clothes in the other warobe I have in the spare room.

How did you know I was single by the way. My back speakers are wall mounted would you recomend I put them on stands too? I am not an expert in home cinema and just need advice to get the best out of my system. I will buy a sofa bed have it to the back wall, my PC is at side of the room that will go and I will keep the PC base and place that under the LCD for when I want to surf the net etc.

The other problem I have is if I do buy stands for the speakers I will have marks on the wall from where the speakers used to be. This is just a spare room really which I only use when my brother comes with his family.

11. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not sure if the stands will improve your cinema experience, but they would overcome the fact that your wall mounted speakers have the cable hanging from them (which looks a bit messy), and according to your last post, slip down the wall a bit...
    Other (probably cheaper) option would be to buy some slim trunking which you would stick to the wall and paint the same coloiur - then just place your speaker cable in this...
    TBH - you seem to have a decent set-up so I wouldn't worry too much... just kick back and enjoy your new TV when it's delivered... perhaps see you on LIVE.

P.S. do you live in Liverpool? thats were I am from originally (crosby) and I know I annoy my younger brothers when I go home and take over the spare bedroom :)

12. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I live near Milton Keynes but I am a Liverpool fan :). I used to be season ticket holder but prices are expensive now days so I just go to the odd game now.

13. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    rich mans game now my friend... I haven't been to a game for three years :eek: still when I go back "up north" I have the option to see Everton... (family are blues!)... but I am not ready to sell my soul just yet :rolleyes:

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Last game I went to was Olymipakos. I hope the tv I am getting is ok for football and not too fuzzy :). If I buy a stand for the speakers can I leave them where they are now or do you suggest I place each speker in the corner of the room with the centre speaker in the middle. My back speakers are about 1ft below the celing.

Good win against Villa tody by the way and Cisse is comimng into some good form.

15. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    TBH - I am not sure about speaker positioning - I have adopted the classic 5.1 setup - in that my fronts are about 5 ft to the left and right of my screen, with the tV bang in the middle and centre speaker on top (my front room is a great shape for surround sound - perfectly square) - my rears are the same distance from the centre but placed just back of my sofa...
    I am lucky that my amp has an auto calibration setup so it handles the speaker set up well :)

16. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Panny D500 instead mate

17. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I have ordered the tv now and they have charged me so would think it is too late now,

18. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I read in stuff that the Philips 9830 has best picture and so many people on here also say it is the best they have seen with only about 3 people saying negative stuff about it so think I have made the right decision :).

19. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Ok I am getting rid of my wardrobe and computer desk and will keep the glass tv unit and put my new Philips on there when it arrives and buy a sofa bed.
    Here is pic of my set up again http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01284ms.jpg the wardrobe on the left is going so should I move the left and right speakers as far as pos to the croner or just place them on a kef stand in the position where they are?

The centre speaker should I place it on top of the tv or underneath it? Placing it underneath seems too low and I thought the speakers should be at the same heigh and equal distance from the centre speaker.

Here is pic of my back speakers http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn01310oq.jpg Is it ok having back speakers that high or should they be equal high and directly opposite the front speakers?

20. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    anyone?

21. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    we need some pictures next week when ur purty Tv arrives :D

And your lot need a striker - cisse is rubbish :D

22. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I dont know where to place the centre speaker when I get my tv and dont know if I should buy stands for the back speakers or leave them that high up.

23. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hopefully getting the tv On Monday now. Would you recomend I hang the 9830 on the wall or place it on the glass stand?
    How far from the tv should the front right and left speakers be from the tv and are the back speakers ok at that height or should I buy a speaker stand and place them on that?
    I am buying some speaker stands for the front speakers as the stand for the kef 2005.2 speakers I will also be able to hide the wires. Pics are on page 1. Anything else people recomend I should do to improve the performance or make it look better as I want it ready for next weekend really.

24. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,009
    Hi!
    Unfortunately, you haven't taken a picture of your whole room so it's difficult to be definitive about this. But, the reply from Northerner76 is pretty spot on - go for the classic 5.1 if you can.
    This basically means arranging your front three speakers at a similar height in a straight line. Put your centre above your TV if you are finding the dialogue "displaced" if it's below. You need to have a bloody solid and thick wall to support a TV of that size and weight, unless you can afford to have it mounted professionally, if you've just got plasterboard walls (like most walls between rooms are), then don't do it! It may end in tears!
    The rears need to be behind you, ideally, and above the height of the front three, but in line with the front left and right. The Sub can be placed anywhere you like that's convenient, though I've heard that it can integrate better if it's between the front left and right. But if you haven't got room then don't worry about it, just don't have it turned up too loud so that you can "hear" it, it's supposed to integrate, not dominate.
    You can have the rears as high up as you want, they are supposed to provide only background ambience/fast and short sound pans anyway, but like the sub, not too loud otherwise you may not get a sense of space and movement.
    Now, placement of the front left and right seems to divide opinion. Some people seem to have them just either side of their tellies, and others have them as far away as possible. I personally try to mimic the sound you hear in cinemas i.e. a huge auditorium with the speakers well spaced. I have my speakers as far apart as possible at the front (angled in) and rear, the centre directly under the telly, and the rears on high stands and angled in on the listening position, with the sub between the fronts.
    You're trying to create a soundfield with dynamic shifts, movement, space, and silence. It's really all about atmosphere, I think, not just sheer volume.
    I hope to one day own a LCD and then supply a picture for this site of my set up, and then you can all laugh at me and my obsession!
    Good luck and don't be afraid to keep asking questions, that's why we're here.
    Best Wishes
    Derek

25. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Thank You for your advice. My speakers at the moment are exactly how you say they should be. All three front speakers in line with the back speakers higher than the front. I will place the LCD on the glass stand not the wall to be on safe side.

26. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,009
    Use good quality speaker cable and gold plated OFC interconnects if you can, they will make a difference. QED are particularly good at providing outstanding performance at affordable prices.
    Also, and I may be on my own with this one, but I would unreservedly recommend that you get a mains conditioner. I use the Sounds Fantastic 8 plug conditioner from Olson (www.soundfantastic.co.uk) and the difference was so huge with sound and picture that I nearly cried! You may find the prices a wee bit terrifying, but compared to the likes of Isotek and Russ Andrews they are an absolute steal for the money and you will see and hear the difference they make, I promise.
    Best Wishes
    Derek

27. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED Cables are great. I got their 5m HDMI cable for £53 on Empiredirect.co.uk. It's £50 for one meter in the shops.

28. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Is it worth me buying the Denon 1920? I have QED scart cable and I have decent speaker cable too. I have heard the Kef stands for my eggs are not very good so I will leave them attached to the wall.
    What is the best component cable for dvd to tv?

29. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,009
    The QED PCV-1 Component cable won an award in What Hi-Fi.
    Try www.hificables.co.uk - they are very competitive price wise and unbelievably quick in delivery, next day!
    Best Wishes
    Derek

30. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,009
    I've just noticed - get an HDMI cable instead if your DVD has that output, it's a superior connection between sources.
    If your DVD doesn't, then the Denon 1920 does have one and it's another award winner with What Hi-Fi!
    Best Wishes
    Derek