Here I go again

MaryWhitehouse

Coming back to photography after a few years break. What did I miss? Any groundbreaking new techniques or gadgets?
In my yoof was a Pentax then Minolta chap when everything was developed at Boots. Last time round was mainly Nikon for dslr’s with a little bit of Sony and Nikon & Bronica film and home darkroom along the way.
This time I swore I was going to try a Canon but, you guessed it, there’s a Nikon on the way as it was too good to ignore. Will be starting with cat portraits for the Mrs. Any tips? Anyone used the 85mm Samyang 1.4 I’m considering?

TIA

Atmos

Coming back to photography after a few years break. What did I miss? Any groundbreaking new techniques or gadgets?
In my yoof was a Pentax then Minolta chap when everything was developed at Boots. Last time round was mainly Nikon for dslr’s with a little bit of Sony and Nikon & Bronica film and home darkroom along the way.
This time I swore I was going to try a Canon but, you guessed it, there’s a Nikon on the way as it was too good to ignore. Will be starting with cat portraits for the Mrs. Any tips? Anyone used the 85mm Samyang 1.4 I’m considering?

TIA

A friend of mine bought the Viltrox 85mm the other day. I might go for the Sigma 85mm next Spring.

MaryWhitehouse

A friend of mine bought the Viltrox 85mm the other day. I might go for the Sigma 85mm next Spring.

That’s an interesting looking lens. Pity I don’t think it’s either dx or fx.

bag head

TIA
I have the 85mm but the cine lens at T1.5 which is basically a de-clicked version. I used it for filming and stills on a Canon.
You get what you pay for.
Mine is very soft wide open. Unuseable unless you wanted a very soft glowing image. It sharpens up at about f/4-5.6 but that's not what you buy a fast lens for.
I went back to using a Tamron Adaptall 90mm 2.5 that I picked up for about £50.
If you don't mind manual focus you can get hold of much better quality vintage lenses for a similar price to the Samyangs.
Just do your homework and vet what you're buying carefully.

MaryWhitehouse

I have the 85mm but the cine lens at T1.5 which is basically a de-clicked version. I used it for filming and stills on a Canon.
You get what you pay for.
Mine is very soft wide open. Unuseable unless you wanted a very soft glowing image. It sharpens up at about f/4-5.6 but that's not what you buy a fast lens for.
I went back to using a Tamron Adaptall 90mm 2.5 that I picked up for about £50.
If you don't mind manual focus you can get hold of much better quality vintage lenses for a similar price to the Samyangs.
Just do your homework and vet what you're buying carefully.

Thanks that’s helpful. I won’t bother as a soft lens is no interest.

snerkler

Hi,
Which Nikon are you getting and which version of the Samyang 85mm are you looking at? I had the Samyang AF 85mm f1.4 FE. Optically it was stellar (sharp and rendered beautifully) however AF wasn’t the best, very hit and miss, so it went back. I bought the Sigma 85mm f1.4 ART instead (not the HSM version) and it’s superb in eery aspect.

MaryWhitehouse

Hi,
Which Nikon are you getting and which version of the Samyang 85mm are you looking at? I had the Samyang AF 85mm f1.4 FE. Optically it was stellar (sharp and rendered beautifully) however AF wasn’t the best, very hit and miss, so it went back. I bought the Sigma 85mm f1.4 ART instead (not the HSM version) and it’s superb in eery aspect.

Ive ended up with a D2xs which I’m really enjoying. I was looking at the manual focus and I think now I’d stick with AF. However for indoors I’ve got a nifty fifty this morning which will be a good start. And when light and space allows I was VERY lucky to get the bargain of the year on a Sigma 70-200 2.8 with the body.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom