1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here begins the fiasco

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lithian, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my nice new 32" tv today, it arrived about an hour ago, dropped off by a delivery bloke.

You may ask, why i am not playing with it? Why am i typing on my computer?

The short, blunt answer is this.

IT WAS DOA!:(

My tv dosn't work, engineer coming tomorrow.

I am not sure whether to say what tv it is, i am sure that whatever happened to it must have happened during shipping and isn't reflective on the manufacturer (hey, its my tv, i am going to defend it). I will wait until the engineer's verdict is in before i decide.

But what am i going to do until tomorrow afternoon, i currently have half the room taken up by a huge box and a dead tv.

sigh.

2. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Swap the fuse in the plug. You never know!

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    If I bought a new TV that was DOA I think I would insist on a replacement. One of the most common reasons for DOA TVs is PCB damage caused during transport. If you do accept it, make sure that the reason for failure is something other that this.

4. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, thanks for the support in my time of need.

WSH: Yeah, i tried the fuse in a different device in the same wall socket, worked fine.

Gary: A VERY valid point, especially as i didn't take out that extended warranty. The engineer comes tomorrow and i will be looking over his shoulder and asking questions once the fault is diagnosed.

Another 2 week wait for a replacement will be painful but as you say, very worth it.

And there i was worried about having a tv, amp and no speakers, i never thought about having a 6.1 surround setup on my old 14" tv (sure i wont be the only one).

Ho hum, nothing to do, i was planning on playing with the new toy.

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lithian it may be worth mentioning the TV and the place you got it from.

You don't have to bad mouth them - it could be the delivery firm?

However I personally find it nice to know especially if you continue to let us know how you are getting on.

6. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will do, after the engineer comes later today. Then depending on what the problem actually was i will deffinately get a shout off as to who was to blame.

Dont worry, i wont keep quiet as to what i bought. I just didn't want everyone jumping to conclusions before the facts were in. Currently i believe that it is just a one off and i was very unlucky, hopefully i will be singing the praises of the set once it is up and running.

Anyway, the engineer is due sometime this afternoon so till then...

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is actually quite a difficult situation.

I recently bought a big TV from a well known warehouse and when it arrived the bloke said "Where do you want it guv?" and dumped it where I pointed.

"There's the stand - sign here..." and he was off.

When I asked if he was going to assemble it all, he laughed and said:"We just deliver 'em - you'll need to pay for an installer..."

Fortunately the thing fired up first time and was fine, but I would be wary next time and get someone who does the install too - just in case it was dead - or put out black smoke!

Keep us posted on events...

8. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the engineer came...

heh, 5 minutes he was here. Changed the fuse (which i had checked anyway) and it didn't switch on.

He asked if it was a rental or if i had bought it, i had bought it so he said he would just replace it. Pleasant enough guy. Just he had probably driven 40 minutes here, 40 minutes back from Glasgow all for 5 minutes changing a fuse.

I suppose its good that he is doing this without saying they will repair first, without me insisting on a new set as GaryB said.

Problem is that when i bought it they had none in stock (they just had the 28" version) so they ordered it in specially, i hope they are in stock now so i can get it in a few days.

The TV was delivered by courier so it wasn't installed, actually they balls'd up and the stand didn't arrive yesterday, they tried to deliver it this morning (when i was out) and thus i dont even have a stand yet.

The way the engineer guy was speaking i think the next one will actually be installed to make sure it works, and they will take away the dead one.

Does this count as good customer service? Got an engineer out next day and have no problems giving me a replacement, i suppose it is so i will say that i got it from Robertsons. I actually went to the store in Gorgie Rd. Edinburgh and they had no problem price matching their online price. (20% cheaper!) It was easier for me to go to the store as it would have pushed me over my visa card limit to buy it in one go so i had them split payment.

Would do business with them again.

although, maybe i am speaking too soon, i wonder after how many replacements their patience will run out? Hope i dont have to find out.

9. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, looks like its not going to be so bad.

When i got in today there was a message on the answerphone from Robertsons. I called them back and was told that there was a replacement tv sitting in the warehouse with my name on it.

All i needed to do was tell them when they could deliver it, Unfortunately i am tied up until Tuesday, so thats when it should arrive.

Good stuff, i was dreading another 2 weeks of waiting.