Henry Kloss Tivoli Table Radio

P

Presario

Wonder if you guys can help.

Im looking for a basic radio for a bedroom for around £100 and ive been recommended the Henry Kloss table radio.

Have you any thoughts as to whether its any good or whether its worth the £99 price. Also is £99 the best price available and is there anything else around this price thats worth considering for good sound?

Not much to ask in a first post huh!

:)

Seriously consider the Pure/Videologic DAB portable. Same money, more station choices.

Mike.

I've just got a Tivoli radio and I have to say its really cute and sounds good enough too, I don't think the Videologic DAB sounds as good but is probably more convienient being digital. Digital does usually sound better than analogue on standalones but on a £100 box like this is more dependant on the quality of the conventional components in the amp and speaker sections.

On an aside I have to say that the absolute quality of DAB seems to have fallen lately, probably because of the growing number of stations, but you'd never notice on a table top box.

The Tivoli has had rave reviews and I've only ever tried it out in shops but I really like it. Like the design especially. Tivoli also make an extra speaker add on so you can listen to FM in stereo.

Michael.

The kloss sounds better than the EVOKE1 and the odds on getting an EVOKE1 before christmas are getting slimmer by the day. Everywhere is selling out big time. The Tivoli is a great little unit, and can be upgraded to a model two (basically adding another speaker box to make it stereo)

Originally posted by Gambit
and can be upgraded to a model two (basically adding another speaker box to make it stereo)

Hmm, I think there's an echo in here :D

Michael.

The Henry Kloss Tivoli would be my choice, it sounds fine and has a sensitive tuner compared to most others.
The BBC officially confirmed their DAB output sounds inferior to their FM broadcasts in a response to What Hi-Fi's Andy Clough recently, because of adding extra channels ( as said already ).
The Evoke sounds poor to me anyway, even sans snap, crackle and pop.

Tivoli is excellent and is my choice. We bought one for father in law. Recommended.

With DAB you get BBC Radio 5 Live (clearly), the fantastic 6Music and the forthcoming BBC Radio 7 (comedy station: both new and from those vast archives) as well as a wealth of other (BBC & Independent) stations. Ultimate audio quality barely comes into it, we are talking about a desktop-type device and not something to critically listen to The Proms once a year. DAB sounds great 99% of the time anyway, FM doesnt.

The Evoke would be my choice. Radio 7 is likely to be a 'must listen'.

Mike.

Originally posted by michaelab
Hmm, I think there's an echo in here :D

Michael.

Whoops, I really should read things before I post. But it takes too long, so you're lucky I was even on topic. Most times, I just post on how I feel:D

Happy today, you lot?

DAB is pants!!!

Anlaogue is far superior as far as I'm concerned.

The Tivoli radio is great for £100 and is much better than the evoke, dab is far too compressed for my liking.

Classic FM on Dab (irrespective of the Tuner) is awful.

Just my opinion.

Flaming Commence:devil:

Originally posted by Flimber
With DAB you get BBC Radio 5 Live (clearly), the fantastic 6Music and the forthcoming BBC Radio 7 (comedy station: both new and from those vast archives) as well as a wealth of other (BBC & Independent) stations. Ultimate audio quality barely comes into it, we are talking about a desktop-type device and not something to critically listen to The Proms once a year. DAB sounds great 99% of the time anyway, FM doesnt.

The Evoke would be my choice. Radio 7 is likely to be a 'must listen'.

Mike.

Agreed re: Radio7. I bought an Evoke a couple of weeks ago, and am very impressed with it. I did have some reservations regarding the compression, but to be honest I can't say it's noticeable on a £100 portable.

As an aside, I tried 3 hi-fi shops in Reading and none were getting any stock in this side of Xmas. I then tried John Lewis and they estimated February 2002 as they had a waiting list of 72 (!!). I visited the Videologic web-site and saw that Argos, of all people, were also stocking and tried my luck. Argos in Basingstoke had 24 in stock!!!!!

What's all that about then?

Also - they are now making a secondary speaker for stereo sound. £30 I believe.....

FYI ...

ive been looking about for the tivoli and have found that www.unbeatable.co.uk have the radio for £74.99 ... even with P&P its only £84.99 ... a £15 saving!

Still trying to decide between that and the evoke now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom