1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helpwith NTl (XBOX, PS2) setup!!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by fufna, Aug 7, 2003.

1. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here goes...

What I have:
    Ntl 600k broadband connection coming straight out of the back of the box going all the way upstairs and into an Ethernet->USB convertor and into the back of my PC

I want to connect my Xbox and PS2 to the NTL connection and also leave a spare port for the Ibook laptop downstairs

I'm presuming a cable compatible four port router downstairs next to the cable box?
    does this mean I have to junk my Ethernet-> USB convertor and install a NIC in the PC?

Anyone got any suggestions on the easiesty route to setup?
    A recommendation of a compatible router would be agreeable also (if indeed that is the best way to go)

Cheers in advance

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Fufna,
    I use NTL and have a laptop and desktop pc connected to the modem via a Linksys wireless 4 port router. Model number is BEFW11S4.
    The xbox is connected using a straight through ethernet cable direct to the router, which is in turn connected to the NTL modem.
    I use a wirless wmp11 pci card for the PC, and a wirless wpc 11 PCMIA card for the laptop.
    I recommend linksys because NTL seem to support it with their technical help.

If you do a search for linksys on this site, you will find lots of information about what people bought and where they bought it from.

Many people have theirs configured differently, and maybe more cheaper alternatives.

By the way you after looking at the wireless system you may want to get rid of the ethernet to usb converter. USB devices are a bit of a burden beacuse they take alot of system resources to get a decent and reliable connection from NTL. This is also stated on NTL help page.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I use a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router.

Be careful which router you get as not all are compatible with XB Live.

My NTL box is connected via a X over UTP cable to the router
    (You may need a straight one depending on your STB).

PC and XB connected to the router via straigt UTP.

Ditch the USB converter and get a NIC for your PC.
    This is a MUCH better way than USB even if you're just using BB and no router.

Try out xbconnect (freeware), a poor man's xb Live but at least you'll get to play Halo on-line. RECOMMENDED.