1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danny-p, Jun 29, 2003.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just got a new av stand and have spent most of last night/ today building it and installing my equipment.
    The problem is when i switched my arcam dv27 back on it wouldnt power up??
    To make things worse i cant find the instructions book and remember reading somewhere about a "safety-mode"
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this will help with your problem, but Arcam have their instruction manuals on their website. www.arcam.co.uk, then select 'handbooks'.

3. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, that's 'support' and then 'handbooks'.

p.s. Did you try a different power lead? I think PC's have the same power leads as Arcam used to use - mind you I'm a bit out of touch!

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks stubags,
    Have tried everything but dv27 is dead..
    Cable is ok because i just pull it out of the back of the 27 and plug it straight into the pc and the pc powers up fine??
    Ive had my player for about a year now with no problems, i always left it on standby and the one time i switched it off/ unplugged it,,it refused to come back on.
    And to make things worse AV Forums have deleted my registry because i never read there emails!!!!!
    Life goes on.(il contact arcam and let you know what happens)
    Danny-p

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Danny - sorry to hear about this.

It looks most likely that the DV27's internal mains fuse blew, or it just decided to die (it does very occasionally happen). Not a big job to replace it but you should talk to the Arcam helpdesk in the morning - 01223 203203 - for advice.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    Would i have to send my player off to arcam?
    As far as im aware the nearest dealer is in newcastle..
    If i did send it away then would they be able to upgrade the firmware? Im currently on 1.79.
    The reason i ask is i am having various niggling probs with certain dvd's (the friday after next..reg1..wont let me ff or rwind)etc.
    thanks

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Danny - you very likely don't need to send it back to us for a fuse change; if after changing the fuse it turns out to be more serious then that's different of course. As I said earlier, please talk to our support team.

A dealer or ourselves can u/g firmware, though there are no guarantees that will fix individual misbehaving discs. The last firmware release for this family of players was 1.81.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john,
    thanks for the help, i spoke to your advice team and they said the same as you (internal fuse blown.)
    Removed player casing and one of the two fuses had blown, replaced the fuse and the player works fine again.
    Thanks again

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot to add,
    Is it possible to obtain a disc from arcam with the latest 1.81 release and install it myself?
    Or is it much more technical/risky this way?
    Cheers
    Danny

10. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It is not very risky if you install it yourself provided you follow the instructions to the letter. It is similar to doing a BIOS u/g for a computer.

We have observed that very occasionally an install may fail for no obvious reason, but usually it is because someone turns off the power at the wrong time. If it does fail then we will need the unit back to replace its EEPROMs.

You can obtain the disc and instructions from the helpdesk.

John Dawson (Arcam)

11. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    called the helpdesk and a disc with instructions is on its way.
    What will the changes be between 1.79 and 1.81?
    Thanks for all the advice
    Danny