1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arkaig, Jun 24, 2003.

1. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people, Just registered. Hope all are well.

I really need some advice. Heres the scoop.......

I have at the moment (don't laugh!)

Goodmans 2100b DVD player (El-cheapo from Comet)

Connected to TV via Scart. Also connected to my Awia Hi-Fi with surround sound speakers, Sub and front speakers. Now, I fancy a good AV Receiver ('er indoors wants radio) I will then ditch my HI-FI and use the DVD player for CD/MP3's satisfying my music needs.

Now, I was looking at the Yamaha HTR-5550 it seems pretty much future proof and something I can build on. But for now I'd like digital sound for DVD's. The Yam, seems only to have and "optical in" for DVD. My DVD player doesn't have an optical out. It would seem my DVD only has L & R audio out sockets (Analogue?) . It present it seems like Surround sound comes out of my Hi-Fi?

Here's the two links to each bit of kit...

Yamaha

Goodmans DVD player Note the following entry for the DVD spec.....

"Sound compatibility (output) MPEG2/Dolby digital/DTS compatible output The integrated Dolby Digital/MPEG2/DTS decoder provides the analogue signals for front, centre, and rear speakers as well as the subwoofer. Just connect your amplifier with 5.1 input to obtain digital surround sound. There is no need for an external decoder. Digital Theater Systems (DTS) has a higher data rate providing the the highest sound quality. "

I'm not sure if My DVD player is not upto the task of passing on DPL,DPL2,DD,DTS to the given amp or will the amp will "turn" these signals into the aforementioned?

Basically I'm not sure if I have the right sockets!? to enjoy the the latest sound formats?

Can you guys give me any advice on my situation? :blush:

Much appreacaited....

:smashin:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    with this particular dvd player you will not be able to make use of the yammy's dts decoder via a digital connection. The only way you will be able to use it with dts is to buy a new dvd with optics/coax out or use the onboard decoder on the goodmans and connect it to the 6 channel input on the yammy using the direct mode. This will work but the decoder on the av receiver would be superior to that of the goodmans imo. So you might want to upgrade your dvd player in the future.

3. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I thought! Aaargh!! :mad:

Not to worry, DVD players aren't exactly a fortune these days. It's just a pity I've only had that DVD player for a few months!! Doh!!

"Get yer DVD player, get yer DVD player, Goodmans 2100b, cheap as chips............"

4. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations for £120 tops?

I guess I can get one without decoder with no detriment to sound through a Yamaha amp.

5. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As the decoder in the amp will be much superior to that in a DVD player then naturally there will be no detriment to the sound.

Try Richer Sounds

Toshiba 220E

regards

Parmenion

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    arkaig.

A very good DVD player is the Toshiba SD-220e, which, if you look around, you could easily get it for less than £120 multiregional

It has an excellent picture & is easy to setup.
    It has an optical digital output for you to connect to your amplifier.

It really is a steal @ that price.

Adzman

EDIT: There you are...someone beat me to it above:lesson:

7. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys. It seems to be coming in at £100 now. See here.....Richer

Probably the wrong forum but does anybody have any thoughts on the Eltax Liberty range of speakers?

Richer - Eltax

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'd personally go for these in that price range:-

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0__ppo3sh5MW&vp=6&bg=216&bp=cin71b&bi=0

still have most of it as my rear soundstage and would complement the YAMMY well.
    I have'nt heard the eltax speakers but I was taken with the missions performance both musically and with movie sound tracks. The Missions have had good reviews and at this price point hard to beat imo.

9. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble being it has to be "pleasing" to the eye!!??! It's a his 'an hers compromise!! :-( Wood effect is the preferable option!!? Beech type thing.

10. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the Mission web site it would seem that the L & R fronts are beech!! :)

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    They come in black or beech and even silver I think. I had the beech ones and they looked good on the stancette speaker stands mission sell. (around £40 I think)

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Speaker choice is a personal thing and as such you will get many advocates of one manufacturer in preferance to another. At present i use a mixture of different Tannoy Revolutions before that however i used Missions and Eltax Liberty. My own opinion - i stesss it's only that and not advice - is that the Liberty 5+ & 3+ are great for the money.The 5+ are floor standers and are around the £100 mark. I found them to be a nicer speaker than Missions 702e (?) and they come in a choice of finishes, beech being one.

Edit :- Eltax Liberty 5+

13. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For my DVD player I have gone for the following.....

Ronin

It seems to have all the requirements for conecting it to an amp. It also supports DVD-Audio (whatever that is!!). Progressive scan also?

Is this any good? I know it's from an unkown but the spec looks good, to me.