• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You're practically in silly money territory there, and for that sort of money I'd definitely want to know what components were going into the PC (24" monitors range from rubbish £180 ones to high quality £500 ones) and I'd also want a 3-5 year warranty so personally I wouldn't touch that system if I was spending that sort of money.

tinners

Prominent Member
What are you going to be doing with it ?
Silly money for a PC in my opinion, you could do better and a lot cheaper.

jackjack5454

Standard Member
ah thought so lol im after a good gaming pc and my friend showed me this one but wasnt really sure bout it, soooo could anyone give me some advice on a really good gaming pc for around the same price of that? would very much appreciate it :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
ah thought so lol im after a good gaming pc and my friend showed me this one but wasnt really sure bout it, soooo could anyone give me some advice on a really good gaming pc for around the same price of that? would very much appreciate it :)

Well, I've also got £1500 to spend on a gaming PC. Myself, I've decided to wait for the next generation of graphics cards that may be coming out in a few months before I replace my current PC (Although my current time-consuming university course is contributing to that decision).

I'll be going for a £400-£500 24" monitor (probably the Hazro HZ24W but the BenQ FP241W and Hyundai W241-PVA are possibilities), a decent gaming mouse and keyboard (I've just bought the keyboard - a Raptor-gaming K1). I'll also be going for an X-fi or Xonar DX and possibly a set of Audio Technica ATH-AD700 if my Icemat Audio headphones have fallen apart completely by then.

The PC will be whatever I can afford that's best at the time, it'll definitely be quad-core and have at least 4GB of memory though.

Without knowing your preferences or types of games you play it's hard to recommend a specific system but the following should be a good general purpose one:

Monitor: BenQ FP241W £450
Keyboard: Raptor-Gaming K1 £70
Mouse: Your preference - About £40
Sound Card: X-fi xtremeGamer £50
Headphones: Steelseries Siberia full sized stereo non-USB £40
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 £ 150
4GB DDR800 £50
Power supply £50
Blu-ray Drive £80
Motherboard: £80
Vista 64-bit £60
500GB Hard Drive £50
Case £60
CPU Cooler £30
8800GTS 512mb £150

Total £1410. Add assembly and delivery and it should come to around £1500.

jackjack5454

Standard Member
well id like a pc the would run pretty much any game on max settings (even crysis if possible with my budget) i dont mind about the monitor/keyboard and mouse stuff not bein not the best and not looking to build my own either.

i am kinda new to pc and wondering whats so bad about the mesh computer? lol any other advice on this matter would be cool :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
well id like a pc the would run pretty much any game on max settings (even crysis if possible with my budget) i dont mind about the monitor/keyboard and mouse stuff not bein not the best and not looking to build my own either.

i am kinda new to pc and wondering whats so bad about the mesh computer? lol any other advice on this matter would be cool :)

Why do you want maximum settings? I guess it's so that the game looks really good when displayed on your screen.

When displayed on your screen. To me spending £400 on an pair of SLI'd graphics cards just to power a generic screen that has no guarentees of it's quality would be unthinkable. If you don't want to spend as much money as me on a screen then that's understandable, but I would at least buy system with a screen that's named and has good reviews for it's price.

As for the rest of the mesh PC:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,12MB Cache,1333MHz)

This is a good choice.

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1

Another sensible choice, although with 8GB of memory it should be installed as 64-bit.

PCI-Express Mainboard - SLi nForce 780i SLi - Intel Core2Duo/Quad Core - ATX

It has triple-SLI support (which may or may not be a good thing depending on how many other cards you have), a good amount of USB ports, a serial port and a PS/2 port but does lack eSATA which is disappointing.

8GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (4 x 2GB)

As your motherboard has 4 memory slots this means you can't upgrade without throwing a stick out, although that's not an issue with this particular PC as the motherboard is limited to 8GB anyway.

1TB (2x 500GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer

500GB hard drives with 16MB buffer? Looks like they're trying to shift old stock. Nothing wrong with them but you're not going to have the fastest loading times in online games.

Blu-ray ROM Player Dual layer DVD Writer 24 x CD Writer
Super Format 20x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM

Blu-ray is good.

2x 512MB nVIDIA Geforce 9800GTX (2x VGA - SLi Configuration)

Most stuff can be handled fine by one 9800GTX and things like crysis aren't even playable with three so it remains to be seen whether two will be useful for anything.

24" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers (DVI, 8ms)

see above

5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound

A £1500 machine without even a £50 soundcard is disappointing. If you're getting stunning visuals then you want stunning audio to go with it.

Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse

Battery costs. Although to be fair I think the latest ones last several months on each set.

Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial

Translation: Annoying stuff you have to spend time uninstalling.

Multi-format Memory Card Reader

Can be a nice thing to have.

1 Year Hardware Warranty - Back to Base (UK Mainland only)

3 months warranty, after that they'll still fix it for another 9 months but you have to pay to move the heavy PC back and forth to them for fixing.

I don't know how confident you are fixing it yourself but it's worth considering a full three year warranty.

EDIT: I should say that there's nothing wrong with the PC overall, it will work and it will do a good job - I just don't think it's very rounded.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom