• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help

peter5205

Standard Member
Well i got my router today, a Linksys wireless G.
I thought this was meant to be easy to setup, Wrong!

I connected the cabel modem to the router via an ethernet cable, powered the router etc, all the lights on the fornt perfect ie Power, WLAN, and internet lit.
I then connected the PC to the router via ethernet into the rear of the router on slot 1.
No problem.
Problem is now my pc has only a local connection and not internet. Help anyone?

I even tried using the software cd that came with it, and when it gets to checking my computers connection it asks for a password, Linksys states default is admin, but nothing happens.
And again i read that vista can detect and set this up on its own.
Im lost now as to how to get my pc its intenet with the router connected.
As id like to share the connection so i can also link the laptop up wireless.

timearp

Established Member
Reset the Linksys router (hold in reset button for 10 seconds) to its default settings and disconnect it from the Broadband Router.

Connect the pc (ensure your setup to use DHCP on the network port: Instructions in the manual) and ensure that you can ping (type 'cmd' in the run box then 'ping 192.168.1.1' to ping the router) between the two and try logon via a web browser, password is admin with default settings.

If you still cannot connect then maybe some software on your PC is stopping you connecting but as your getting the logon box I don't think this is the case.

Make sure your plugged into the right ports in the rear, sounds stupid but is easily done. Check out the manual on the CD, may help you out a bit.

Post back and let us know what happens/how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom