Help

tintin jones

Prominent Member
Reaction score
(also posted in plasma thread to get balanced view)
OK I'm hoping someone can help me.
I want to get a 40/42" TV for my sittingroom for mainly PS3/360 gaming, Bluray, sky SD and sports.

I was originally going to get Sony x3500 LCD but I don't really have the cash at the moment to spend over €2K for it. Then I saw the Panasonic 42" Plasma TH-42PZ85E which is also 1080P/100hz and is almost a grand euro cheaper than the Sony x3500…

My check list is 1080P, 100hz (for sport) good quality SD from sky and a good gaming tv (am I looking for miracles for under 2k euro?)

Should I

A) get the Panasonic plasma?
B) save for the Sony LCD ?
or
C) is there something coming down the road that I haven't heard of yet that would be the answer to all my prayers haha?

Any comments appreciated

I was in similar dilema as you. I was tempted with the Panny Plasma but in the end i went for the Sony lcd 40D3500. I use it for normal dvd viewing (non blu ray etc) and its Stunning. i have it connected to my digibox for normal SD viewing and again, im very impressed. I went for the LCD as I was concerned about screen burn which im told plasmas suffer from. However i already have a smaller Sony lcd in sitting room which has been a great set for the last 2 years so that swayed me to stick with Sony and lcd. I watched the footie last night on the 3500 and it was great. Cant see any motion blur etc. Overall im well pleased

Where do you live,as I suppose you dont live in UK?

I would strongly recommend the new Toshiba ZF355. The price range for a 40-incher is 1500-2000€ in most European countries, and the feature set is similar to that of the Sony X3500. In my opinion, the design is better on the ZF though (thin bezel).

I have one and I think it's superb. (So take this with a grain of salt ;))

No live in Dublin, Ireland...i have a 32"D3000 in my bedroom which is brilliant cause of the 100hz and its displays 1080P (although it scaled anyway) and i'd always planned on getting X3000/3500 when the time came but new car, mrotgage etc i dont have as much cash as i thought.
Then i read the review for Panasonic plasma and it seemed to tick most of the boxes..

I'd go for the PZ85. There is a possibility of "plasma rainbows" or "phosphor lag" which is a motion related issue, but it's a question of if you find it more or less noticeable than blur on LCDs.

No live in Dublin, Ireland...i have a 32"D3000 in my bedroom which is brilliant cause of the 100hz and its displays 1080P (although it scaled anyway) and i'd always planned on getting X3000/3500 when the time came but new car, mrotgage etc i dont have as much cash as i thought.
Then i read the review for Panasonic plasma and it seemed to tick most of the boxes..

Ahh ok then there is no chance finding it cheaper....The PZ85 is the best choice then or if you can wait till the early may when the new W4000 sony range comes in the current W3000 prices.They are going to be better than X3500 on all aspects exept the 100Hz missing and the little lower precessor

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom